• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sj257

May 30, 2010
Yeah, I know, imaginative title right?

Welcome to 2014 everyone.

I can see that there are lots of people itching to get in the water right now as a sniff for vis comes up every now and then.

Last year was a right off for me due to major illness, but it didn't feel like a good year for others either.

Here's hoping that we have a far better year ahead. The huge waves that are pounding our shores as I write might well be scouring out some new spots to hold fish (he writes hopefully), and I've already seen pictures of one North coast beach where the rocks have changed quite significantly.

Good luck.

Simon

Will I'm so p...t with this wether I now off a E.c.c pall with big fat brown trout in I'm in to morra

Hi all in the Cornwall area. Quick question, do you guys ever have any problems with other water users? Reason I ask is that im planning a trip down in the summer to climb, spear and fish. So I asked on a climbing forum for recomendations for cheap and chearful places to stay, stating our intentions. I got one reply from a climber passing on a message from his wife who is a diver that if they found anyone in their water with a speargun they would introduce them to a novel form of body peircing! Not very friendly hence they question, should I be avoiding anywhere, would rather not upset folks.

Cheers,

Sheepy.

I'd offer to-pierce a certain part of her body ! Tell them you can't wait to meet up!Do send pictures LOL.

Reactions: Matt Barker
I've never had or heard of any problems. There's lots of coastline and away from the main areas relatively few people.

Like all areas around the country inland or coast we all come across people full of them selves who won't to protect their patch.The sea is not anyone's tho some think different.I had a week in cornwall in October at Porthallow .South/ east facing most sheltered part of cornwall coast .Perfect I thought rented cottage 30 seconds in to sea spear every day great....um ...signs on beech said no diving .so weather that ment no scuba or diving off rocks or no spearfishing or what ever I never found out .The weather was horrendous I drove all around the lizard looking for safe water with no luck on visiting Porthkerris .divers property/quarry/farm/cafe set up I was met with a massive sign saying Pi.....of... To just about everything including spearfishing.As I was on the land I did !.They were protecting the patch .After reading up they appear to be a very good scuba center .No doubt you would get some abuse if you came by boat and stop in front of there setup! May be that's where the fish are boys!As Scallywag. Said there's loads of coast and very few people go explore!

We try avoid popular areas wherever we go, the idea is to get away from the masses for some peace and quiet. Not travel miles to join them :)

Reactions: scallywag
So last spring I was an enthusiastic novice who had finally just acquired some half-decent kit. Then me and the female started a little business venture (dont ask!!:banghead:) which meant I didnt have a spare second to get in the water, even during the lushest summer on record!

Anyway, now things are a little more routine, the power that be might finally let me go and play in the sea - so I was wondering how much spearing others do during the spring... Do people wait for the silver summer species or have a crack at pollock even a cod in the meantime?

All depends on the mark. I tend to lie low until April but if you've got a deep water mark it's got to be worth a crack .

Ok I might hold fire for a bit then as I havent yet got the lungpower to dive to any depth AND sit at the bottom for a bit.. Will stick to good old rod and line for the cod!

I think the sea might be a little too churned up for any vis still. I keep seeing coloured water whenever I'm near the sea, so looks like I better stick to the rod from shore or Kayak for a while.

sj

I've caught my best fish in the worst of vis, but the consistent swell at the moment takes the cake. I had planned to have a few test dives this winter but there just has not been the opportunity. The amount of sand missing from exposed spots is interesting though as I have seen huge expanses of new reef (with holes) popping up at spring low and I wonder if we might have some good inshore activity for 2014. Thinking positively ;)

Reactions: Highlander
I've had similar positive thoughts SurfnSpear.

Lets hope we're missing out on opportunity now for some far better sessions when the weather improves.

Reactions: SurfnSpear
Hi Guys, I'm just waiting on my new wetsuit to arrive then I'm gonna brave it. Hopefully sometime next week (weather permitting) Only got into the sport last summer so still very much learning, but with all this beautiful coastline to explore I figure we've got to get an early start ;) I'll let you know how I get on if I manage to get in the water.

Reactions: scallywag
Hi Kernow folks - i'm after some advice - can you tell me generally what is the spearfishing likely to be like around the Port Isaac area? if i was staying at Port Isaac as a base, with kayak for transport if necessary?
What do you think?

Hi Kernow folks - i'm after some advice - can you tell me generally what is the spearfishing likely to be like around the Port Isaac area? if i was staying at Port Isaac as a base, with kayak for transport if necessary?
What do you think?
I can't really help I'm afraid mate I live further south than that and haven't ventured up there yet. Portreath is good but don't know if you want to travel that far. I don't think you'll go far wrong wherever you choose to get your feet wet in sunny Kernow ;) let us know where you go and how you get on.

I can't really help I'm afraid mate I live further south than that and haven't ventured up there yet. Portreath is good but don't know if you want to travel that far. I don't think you'll go far wrong wherever you choose to get your feet wet in sunny Kernow ;) let us know where you go and how you get on.
Thanks, i used to know the coast pretty well as a surfer, but it takes a different perspective when looking for spearo spots :)
If anyone can tell me what the tides can be like...? is there much of a run on a big spring tide?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT