• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Kernow folks - i'm after some advice - can you tell me generally what is the spearfishing likely to be like around the Port Isaac area? if i was staying at Port Isaac as a base, with kayak for transport if necessary?
What do you think?

Drop a pm to Ben-fearthespear, Ricky Scott/James Thoburn...

Got in the water today at Portreath to test out my new wetsuit (cressi tecnica 5mm) and my mate has fitted his go pro to his gun. The wetsuit was ace really warm and flexible. Unfortunately the viz was less than crap lol. I only had a couple of dives and at a metre it was pitch black, freaked me out a little actually lol. I'd heard of people getting Cod up on the north coast thats why we gave it a go. Bit of a waste of time but at least I got my toes wet and tested out the wetsuit lol. Anyone else been in yet?

Yogatron, maybe try using a line with weights and buoy to dive down, sometimes you can sit on the bottom and look for silhouettes against the surface when its so bad. Having said that, we have 6inches vis here and i dont think a line would have helped me much yesterday ...

Ah nice. I was going to weight my dive float but decided against it today. Honestly the viz was that bad I couldn't see a thing :( Where abouts did you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah haha. That's a bit of a swim may need to have a break half way lol

Reactions: Jonny250
Yogatron, maybe try using a line with weights and buoy to dive down, sometimes you can sit on the bottom and look for silhouettes against the surface when its so bad. Having said that, we have 6inches vis here and i dont think a line would have helped me much yesterday ...
if he's at the bottom looking for silhouettes he's liable to shoot me ;-)

Reactions: yogatron
Inside the Fal Marina today...mullet and 1m vis.....beauty of a day but not jumping in yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 171
Having a browse on that coastal facebook page of undersize spearing and muppetry got me thinking that I might like to put this up in time for the 2014 season. Alongside naming local spots, blatant undersize fish pics really are not needed, nor is labelling it up as 2lb, 3lb, etc......for a chuckle. If you disagree please by all means reply, this is after all a forum ;)

Attachments

• Bass length to weight.jpg
    Bass length to weight.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for the update. All this sun makes it quite appealing to get in. I wonder if the swell drop off will help or hinder the vis clearing?

Got a few divers n surfers at work the general consensus is it's gonna take a couple of weeks at least before it starts clearing up :( fingers crossed though.

hi guys, was down at Talland at the weekend and the cliff coast walk was closed (assume due to a collapse). Anyone know how bad it is/was? asi thought of that as quite a sturdy looking cliff!!

ah perfect thanks for that, sods law its open now.. As the road route was seriously steep!!

Anyone know what the vis is like today round Penzance/Falmouth the weather is too nice not to get in!!!

Flew over the south coast looked ok at 1000ft got down still a little cloudy though couple more days I reckon it might be ok

Flew over the south coast looked ok at 1000ft got down still a little cloudy though couple more days I reckon it might be ok

That's what I'm thinking. Sometime over the next three days looks good.

Reactions: yogatron
Might take another look today but will defo get in the water again tomorrow somewhere!!!!!

Reactions: scallywag
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT