• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Coupe des Calanques 2005 (Marseille, France) July 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

subaquaticus

Fond of the Red Sea
Oct 10, 2004
A nice comp taking place in Marseille...

AIDA National with guests

60 participants max (30 non French max)

the in list is already full http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/eng/inscription.php

but in case of cancellations, you can still register on a waiting list : http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/eng/formulaire.php

registration form : http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/eng/Fiche_Inscription_Coupe_2005.doc

as far as I understood, Jean-Michel Pradon will take part in the trainings...

This will be a sunny, hot and breathtaking event ...

I plan to arrive on the 28th of June in Marseille in order to train in constant weight before the comp...

Who among DB members will train with Jean-Michel Pradon ? Who already did such trainings ?

I'm looking for a dive and travel partner.

I'm from The Netherlands, and I prefer meeting up and sharing traveling and other costs :)

Maybe someone from Belgium?

I do have good driving skills and a licence.

Merci bien!

Kars.

Kars said:
I'm looking for a dive and travel partner.

I'm from The Netherlands, and I prefer meeting up and sharing traveling and other costs :)

Maybe someone from Belgium?

I do have good driving skills and a licence.

Merci bien!

Kars.

You have here the list of participants... if it may help : http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/inscription.php

Id Nom Prénom Sexe Club Pays Dossier

Ribas
Patricia
F
NFDB Netherlands
Brazil
OK

Pedersen
Peter
H
No Attachment
Denmark
OK

Asso
Aurore
F
CIPA
France
OK

Banegas
Brigitte
F
CIPA
France
OK

Beau
Florent
H
CIPA
France

Beauverger
Bruno
H
S.C.P.L. De NIMES
France
OK

Bordereau
Mira
F
Massilia Sub
France
OK

Caillet
Franck
H
GPES
France

Cavanna
Laurent
H
Cétacés Nihilistes De L'Ombre
France

Chanavas
Benoit
H
Massilia Sub
France

Charras
Christian
H
CIPA
France

Crampe
Sophie
F
Beluga
France

De Belmont
Edouard Le Duc
H
Massilia Sub
France
OK

Debuissy
Caroline
F
CIPA
France

Dryburgh
Philippe
H
Apnée Passion / Point Formation
France
OK

Duclos
Bérangère
F
CIPA
France
OK

Dupuy
Xavier
H
France
OK

Ferrois
Mélissa
F
Massilia Sub
France

Garrigue
David
H
Apnéeau
France

Gomez
Julien
H
Amiens Sub
France

Gravier
François
H
S.C.P.L. De NIMES
France
OK

Hennebois
Pascal
H
Aasssub
France
OK

Joubert
Karine
F
Aasssub
France
OK

Lafrancesca
Patrick
H
Beluga
France

Launay
Solenn
F
Massilia Sub
France

Lefèvre
Grégory
H
Massilia Sub System
France

Lescure
Jérôme
H
ASDS
France

Maille
Manuel
H
Massilia Sub
France

Martinez
Bruno
H
Beluga
France

Mathieu
Aline
F
CNP
France

Mevaere
Sébastien
H
Apnée Sportive Dassault Système
France
OK

Nery
Guillaume
H
CIPA
France
OK

Offret
Florence
F
Massilia Sub
France

Orgnon
Remy
H
Beluga
France

Petrovic
Dragan
H
Arpon Club Catalan
France
OK

Piovanacci
Sandra
F
ApnéeAttitude
France
OK

Poggi
Patrick
H
Beluga
France

Pradon
Jean-Michel
H
Plongesport
France
OK

Rolland
Claude
H
ApnéeAttitude
France
OK

Scherman
Laurent
H
ApnéeAttitude
France
OK

Stofft
François
H
CIPA
France

Talbot
Adrien
H
Guc Plongée
France

Vigoureux-Peltier
Jérôme
H
ApnéeAttitude
France
OK

Vincent
Sabrina
F
Massilia Sub
France

Zarou
Fouad
H
CIPA
France

Heidenreich
Heidi
F
HSTSG
Germany

Schneider
Karsten
H
TC-Rochen
Germany
OK

Schon
Christina
F
HSTSG
Germany
OK

Sietas
Tom
H

Germany

Ákos
Engyel
H
AIDA Hungary
Hungary
OK

Bauer
Miklós
H
AIDA Hungary
Hungary

Horváth
Balázs
H
BAT
Hungary

Shinomiya
Ryuzo
H
Apnea Works
Japan

Venghaus
Glenn
H
NFDB Netherlands
Netherlands
OK

Grindevoll
Thomas
H

Norway

Gautier
Francisco
H
CIPA
Portugal
OK

Serrano Corraliza
Rafael
H

Spain

Colat
Peter
H
ALL Zurich
Suisse
OK

Massacand
Joanna
F
Suisse
OK

Melileo
Marco
H
ALL Zurich
Suisse
OK

Rollero
Claudia
F
ALL Zurich
Suisse
OK

Schnorf
Patrick
H
ALL Zurich
Suisse
OK

Dahlström
Johan
H
CIPA
Sweden

Streeter
Tanya
F
No Attachment
US
OK

Tufts
Joe
H
No Attachment
US
OK

Accommodation In Marseille For Calanques'cup

Transportation + accommodation in Marseilla here : http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/eng/infos.html

list of hotels :
http://massiliasub.free.fr/coupe_2005/hotels.pdf

if you call one of them do not forget to mention you come for the comp ; some prices have been negotiated...

Hébergement

Il n'y a pas de camping dans la ville de Marseille et il n'y a qu'une auberge de jeunesse dans le centre ville.

NO CAMPING IN MARSEILLE ONLY ONE YOUTH HOSTEL :

Auberge de Jeunesse de Marseille Bonneveine.
Impasse du Docteur Bonfils
13008 Marseille
Tel :( 00 33 ) 04.91.17.63.30
Fax:( 00 33 ) 04.91.73.97.23

La compétition ayant lieu entre le 8ième et le 9ième arrondissement (13008 et 13009 pour les codes postaux), je vous conseille de rechercher plutôt un hôtel dans le 8ième c'est un arrondissement situé en bordure de mer.

BETTER TO FIND ACCOMMODATION IN THE EIGHTH OR NINTH DISTRICT...

Une liste d'hôtels est disponible en téléchargement. Certains prix ont été négociés, n'oubliez pas de préciser que vous venez pour une compétition d'apnée organisée par l'YCPR

NEGOTIATE THE PRICES SAYING YOU COME FOR THE COMP...

Sleeping

There is only one Younth Hotel in Marseilles

Youth Hotel Marseille Bonneveine.
Impasse du Docteur Bonfils
13008 Marseille
Tel :( 00 33 ) 04.91.17.63.30
Fax:( 00 33 ) 04.91.73.97.23

The competition takes place between 2 different places with two different zip codes (13008 et 13009), 13009 is closer to the sea.

You can download an hotel list not too far from competition places. Some prices are special prices, so do not forget to tell the hotel that you will be in Marseilles for a freediving event at the YCPR Club.

Last edited:
Schedule Of The Calanques'cup

Every day before the competition there will be constant weight trainings with Jean-Michel Pradon - 15€/pers and per training. Send me an e-mail to told me when you want to train in Marseille.

To get Jean-Michel PRADON's mobile phone number, just contact me in MP...

July, Friday the 1st

8h00 - 9h00 Registration at YCPR (Pointe Rouge Harbor)
License, payment and medical form check up

9h30 Boats to be boarded from the YPCR to the training spot for constant weight performances.
Two training sessions are scheduled, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
We will stay on the sea or on the beach close to the training place during the whole day. Regular meals will be provided. You should bring your own if you follow a particular diet (salt-less, vegetarian, pork-free…etc)
Do not forget sun screen! ! !

17h00 Back to YCPR

18h30 End of announced constant weight performances for the following day

19h00 Individual schedule to be posted

July, Saturday the 2nd

7h30 Boats to be boarded from the YCPR to the constant weight competition spot

9h00 Start of the official constant weight warm up
Bring your own food and beverages.

July, Sunday the 3rd

8h00 Welcome to Luminy pool

8h30 Start of the official Static warm up

Lunch, regular meals provided, BYO if you follow a specific diet.
13h45 Start of official Dynamic training

17h30 50m long finless race to win a monofin

18h00 Prize announcements

I checked today that I was "OK" registered for the Calanques' cup....

We are by now 51 "OK" freedivers.... who is coming from DB ?

My intention is to announce 30 m (maybe 32 m if I am in a special shape...)

Who is shallower than me ?

Cool, the inscribed list is almost as impressive as CIPA open. Pedersen, Sietas, Nery, Shinomiya, Dahlström, Streeter...

Good luck sub, how much are you thinking of announcing?

jome said:
Good luck sub, how much are you thinking of announcing?

I shall announce :

CWT : 30 to 32 m (I announced 28 m at CIPA Open... and did 26 m because of a sudden ear pain probably due to my looking forward at 25 m...) ; I will do a training three days before with Jean-Michel PRADON... hope it will help...

STA : shall announce 3'15" and hope to do 3'50" to 4'10"... I did some dry static training watching the box lying on my bed... I feel I did some progress....

DNF (no fins) : I did 65 m with 2 kg around my neck... I am adding 0.500 kg to 1 kg in order to be perfectly neutral at 1.40 m... shall announce 55 m but hope to do 70 - 75 m...

Since 2 months the lifeguards are real pains in the ass and perturbate my trainings... they are bothering me with my weights they are a bit afraid of... I was once forced to do "apnea swimming" ! I swim at the surface, pretending to breathe but not breathing in fact...

subaquaticus said:
Since 2 months the lifeguards are real pains in the ass and perturbate my trainings... they are bothering me with my weights they are a bit afraid of... I was once forced to do "apnea swimming" ! I swim at the surface, pretending to breathe but not breathing in fact...

You know they have there raisons !!!
You should really never do this alone :ban

Rémi said:
You know they have their raisons !!!
You should really never do this alone :ban
I am not alone... I am within a group with a special watching...

When I did a 50 m w/o fins, I had in addition a buddy watching me... The responsible of the group has a BEESAN 2nd degree (i.e. a super lifeguard)... and has the same if not more competencies than the lifeguards employed by the pool...

And last but not least I am myself a certified lifeguard (BNSSA) entitled to watch pools in public hours and beaches (I did some watching on the Seine during events, which gave me the opportunity to navigate on Zodiac boats on the Seine)

During my last training session (today), there were 4 certified lifeguards watching :

1. 2 lifeguards employees of the pool

2. 1 (super) lifeguard (BEESAN 2nd degree in swimming + monofin + body building) employed by my company ;

3. my humble person (BNSSA) ...

4. a 5th lifeguard training in apnea under the coaching of my company's lifeguard to prepare a professional checking...

all this staff for a 25 m X 12.50 m pool... and no more than 20 people in the water...

Who could imagine a safer environment ?

Last edited:
I find the sometimes the same problems, especially at the beginning of the season when the lifeguard had this fresh 'work harder,better or you are fired speech' from their sometimes pittifull superiours who pose the guidelines because Freediving and foremost it dangers! are getting known. These people often are formost afraid of kids copying our training, and causing expensive accidents and bad publicity. It's not a unfunded idea, but I say that when I was young I played these games many times in the pool. I know that the lifeguard cannot be everybodies buddy, I've been one myself, but sure I can reconise the handfull of kids who like to freedive and be underwater. I often approached these and explained very shortly that long diving can cause blackout, and they should keep a keen eye on eachother like real divers do. And if they want to do a competition with their friends they should ask me. When it's busy I tell them I cannot help because of the other people I need to watch. They understand and contiou with something els, suggested by me or thought of bye there own. As a reward I give them a few beginners tips, like how to clear ones mask.

But If every kid would like to freedive (and many do!) I know very well that a Lifeguard for 25 kids in the pool won't be sufficient.
Budget and economics is the name of today's Gods. And it will not take long before pools are closed when the economic crises pushes through.
But he there's the ocean, and I'm sure everything will be all right in the end.

Sub I hear you learn quickly, I think that's the key thing.
I whish I could be there to, we could have great fun. I just love to share what I know.

Be sure you are well rested before you arrive.
Take your time to learn, talk to your body, listen to it.
I always like to fall down, eyes closed, and relax my body while I concentrate on equalising and having a streemlined position. When I feel I'm not relaxed I just grab the line, turn arround and while hanging trying to relax my body again with my eyes closed. I record the new depth so to speak, learn it get familliar with it.
This season I've made only one warmup divesession, and it was to the depth of 25m. And it was not so easy as my muscles have gotten shorter and I need to learn the depts again. In order to relearn it I dive slow and when I encounter a limit, I turn and hang on the line relaxing for a certain time, allowing my body to learn and addapt.

I hope you have a wonderfull nice time in Marseille,

Love peace and water!

Kars

Kars said:
Sub I hear you learn quickly, I think that's the key thing.
I whish I could be there to, we could have great fun. I just love to share what I know.

Be sure you are well rested before you arrive.
Take your time to learn, talk to your body, listen to it.

I always like to fall down, eyes closed, and relax my body while I concentrate on equalising and having a streemlined position.

When I feel I'm not relaxed I just grab the line, turn arround and while hanging trying to relax my body again with my eyes closed. I record the new depth so to speak, learn it get familliar with it.

This season I've made only one warmup divesession, and it was to the depth of 25m. And it was not so easy as my muscles have gotten shorter and I need to learn the depts again. In order to relearn it I dive slow and when I encounter a limit, I turn and hang on the line relaxing for a certain time, allowing my body to learn and adapt.

It is exactly what I do ! This morning I could enjoy a wonderful training session in the pool...

The lifeguards (the pool's employees) couldn't prevent me :ban from doing apnea :ko since one of them was being trained in apnea by my coach (himself a lifeguard but not the pool's employee) !!

The professional lifeguards must be checked every five years, in particular in apnea ! Generally they hate it because they are former surface swimmers... This lifeguard was miserable in apnea... in DNF, he did 2 leg kicks for one arme stroke (which is very inefficient, isn't it ?) and was close to spying his lungs...

Since I was not able to be neutral at 1.40 m with my 2 kg neckweight (even at 3.30 m depth I was positively buoyant !) ; I invented a nice drill : surface DNF !

With surface apnea breaststroke swimming, I was able to do several times 25 m in 3 strokes ! In subaquatic swimming with 2 kg around my neck I hadn't been able to do less than 5 strokes !!

In surface apnea breaststroke swimming, I could experience a super relaxation... after slapping my thighs, I had no longer to fight against my positive buoyancy, since I couldn't ascend higher... I feel I need now to work specifically the leg kick which is still a little weak...

I wanted after my pool session to buy immediately a new pair of ankle weights to tie around my neck but the shop was out of stock !! I hate them for waiting an additional week... Today I feel that 75 m DNF is within reach...

I did some drills with my mouth and my ears at 3.30 m depth...

While in water I was relaxing with a nice brain activity :girlie ... I felt I was putting into practice all the theoretical stuff discussed on Deeper Blue...

Thanks DB :thankyou for helping me reach these 75 m DNF at the end of the month !

By the way, I am not an expert in English and American slang... I have to be careful with the use of the words "stroke" and "glide" :rcard , Haven't I ? As far as I understood...

Struggleing with boilancy he?
Feet floating up?

I suggest the following:
Borrow a weightbelt and some weights.
Your hips are below your centre point of gravity.
You write that your feet are flooting up, try a normal weightbelt first with a dive buddy.
He can weight you out, and see what's happening.
Put the weights on, take the usual deep breath, and dive to the 1,40m depth, and check together. Another nice idea to if your placeing of the weights is correct use the underwater standing edge or a the poolstairs. DIve down, put your hands above yourhead and legs backwards (like the you do gliding after the legstroke) and put your hands on the edge. Now you notice quickly any inbalance.

For a nice neckweight you can use very easily an innertube of a mountainbike tyre and two plastic clips. Put in nickle coated softlead to your preference.

Many people make the mistake of NOT putting their feet backwards after the legstroke (closing of the legs). When you're properly weighted you'll learn that you can use your feed to adjust the balance and altidude. Feet can give subtile course directions keeping one at the desired level.

Congrads!

Kars.

Reactions: subaquaticus
Kars said:
Struggleing with boilancy he?
Feet floating up?
On the contrary ! Chest floating up... I did tests at different depths (1.80 m, 3.30 m...

At 3.30 m depth I am nearly neutral... remaining quiet I feel my chest slowly floating up... bringing my whole body upwards...

Kars said:
For a nice neckweight you can use very easily an innertube of a mountainbike tyre and two plastic clips. Put in nickle coated softlead to your preference.
I agree with you ; this might be the most rational solution... ; I began using ankle weights and it suits me well ; the main drawback is the price... one ankle weight costs 9 € for 0.500 kg...

My 3 kg neckweight will cost me 54 € !! quite a fortune !

Kars said:
Many people make the mistake of NOT putting their feet backwards after the legstroke (closing of the legs). When you're properly weighted you'll learn that you can use your feed to adjust the balance and altidude. Feet can give subtile course directions keeping one at the desired level.
interesting... could you give some precisions on the directional use of the feet ?

what do you understand under : "NOT putting their feet backwards after the legstroke" ?? I do not quite understand...

"NOT putting their feet backwards after the legstroke"

Well the default angle of the foot is 90 degrees when a person stands straid up.
By putting your feet backwards I meen bending your feet downward, toes down, just like when you're reacing for something on the top shelf. Just like a ballet girl stands on her toes. In this way the toes are pointing backward in relation to your movement.

It's better I don't give any directions, you'll learn faster without them. Just a hint, feet acts like the tail of a airplain.

Have fun exploring!

Kars

Kars said:
"NOT putting their feet backwards after the legstroke"

Well the default angle of the foot is 90 degrees when a person stands straid up.
By putting your feet backwards I meen bending your feet downward, toes down, just like when you're reacing for something on the top shelf. Just like a ballet girl stands on her toes. In this way the toes are pointing backward in relation to your movement.

It's better I don't give any directions, you'll learn faster without them. Just a hint, feet acts like the tail of a airplain.

Have fun exploring!

Kars
interesting ; I had never thought of it... However I presume that those people accustomed to finswimming instinctively put their feet backwards, don't they ?

I already noticed that beginners in finswimming tend to take the back of their feet out of the water, doing some "splashes"... it is due to their not putting their feet back wards, isn't it ?

I called Jean-Michel Pradon tonight to announce my arrival in Marseille on the 28th of June ; I intend to take part in his training session on the 29th, maybe on the 30th...

Jean-Michel welcomed my tip with the ankle weights tied together as a neckweight...

Who is taking part from DB ?

Subi,
Ankleweights here are 12 euros the pair and I made my neckweight from a bycicle rubber tube and small fishweights, probably cost around 12 -15 euros as well, mostly for the lead.

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT