• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Course Reccomendations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cuttlefish

Mar 7, 2005
hey guys,

I am currently a scuba diver, looking to try something new and am going to attend a freediving course at some point this year.
I am not the slimmest of people and am also asthmatic. My breath holding skills are, to be frank, pants.

Anything i can do (bar try to lose weight, which is an ongoing project) which will help me on the course?

Thanks

Thanks - a lot on there doesent make sense to me though. Seriously, before this past weekend i havent really thought about freediving a whole lot, it was always just something i wanted to do.

That is the course i was going to do. However, recent scuba courses i have done i have really felt i should have prepared far more for and wished i had started reading up etc long before. What i was really after was some basic guides to how i can be at least a little bit ready for the course, as this is all really new to me.

Reactions: Alison
If you are going to do our course you will get a full information pack in the post once you sign up. This includes a detailed preparation guide.

Of course if you are looking for more specific advice feel free to post on the forums with questions or do a search on the main site for articles.

Cuttlefish said:
hey guys,

I am currently a scuba diver, looking to try something new and am going to attend a freediving course at some point this year.
I am not the slimmest of people and am also asthmatic. My breath holding skills are, to be frank, pants.

Anything i can do (bar try to lose weight, which is an ongoing project) which will help me on the course?

Thanks

Cuttlefish
Dont feel that you have to do anything... freediving is not about super fit people doing incredible things..its about normal people finding their own limits and finding a relaxation that's hard to beat. Dolphin is a good option but there are people out there that will teach you more and charge you less. If you do want to loose weight and improve your statics and co2 tolerance, just start swimming at a local pool. Once you are happy in the water then start to find out more on the freediving courses on offer. 2005-2006 will see a large change in the number of freedive clubs all over the UK so the chances are you will find something thats right for you. Send me a PM if you want some more info about your local clubs.

Never train alone! Be safe and happy..

B.

Reactions: Alison
Cuttlefish,

As Bryn, and Sam have pointed out there are numerous options available in the UK. The British FreeDiving Association (BFA) is there to help guide you through the different options - whether it is a commercial course like DeeperBlue or SaltFree to a club orientated environment, there are options open to suit every budget and taste.

Contact the BFA at http://www.britishfreediving.org

Outside the UK there are courses available from a variety of sources, from local instructors to World Class Instructors such as the Solomons (http://www.freedivers.net), Kirk Krack (http://www.performancefreediving.com) and Umberto Pelizzari (http://www.apnea-academy.com) to name a small number.

Many Thanks

k i have a question. Im at school in PA, so besides the couple dives i can get in with the eastcoastfreedivers, im not gonna be in the deep water too much after summer.

I had looked at a course schedule and wanted to do a performacefreediving course in sept. Would it still be worth it even though im not going to be diving regularly until late december? Or would it help regardless of the long dry spell(or with the few dives i get in with the eastcoast group?)

Hope i made that understandable..

P.S. I wanted to do the course in sept cause it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to go from PA to florida, rather tahn Bermuda to florida. Would coming from BDA in the middle of summer be the only beneficial plan?

Last edited:
These courses has a long lasting benefit, their purpose is to give you knowledge, experience and tools, I see no reason why you can't do one before a dry-spell.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT