• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Creature feature

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Today's catch .

Attachments

• jelly.jpg
    jelly.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 382
UFO????

are you sure your camera is underwater, and not pointed at the night sky>?

these are some realy nice pictures by the way, wish we had water around here that was that clear

anyways... i think it looks like some weird jelly fish

Reactions: rigdvr
I've sen one of those before...but then she quit holding out and everything went back to normal!:t

Thanks , Vincent :eek:
I have never encountered one of these jellyfish before , can't find it in our meagre collection of reference books .
Anyone out there who know .:confused:

OK , here's an easy one ... name please ;)

Attachments

• cardinal.jpg
    cardinal.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 337
This one I know :

The name I call it is "Not Delicous Fish":D :D
The other general name is : "No shootin This Fish" he he he

Wolf Cardinal-

Have you seen their teeth?? if they were 3ft long I wouldn't swim!

Mouthbrooder too - liitle silvery eggs.

Willer

Man! I never knew there were so many Cardinal species!

This one looks like a perfect match:
Cheilodipterus quinquelineatus
Five-lined cardinalfish

You can check its record on Fishbase
:D

C'mon man!

Chelmon rostratus
Copperband butterflyfish

BTW, you're providing too much hints: the filename!
:D

Now here's a hard one:
(If I ever manage to attach the photo!)

Attachments

• hardtoguess.jpg
    hardtoguess.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 339
Is that a spear wound on the rear part of the body ?
I don't have this fish here but as a dedicated "delicous hunter" I want to speculate :

01. This fish must have lots of bone.....probably not good eating.

02. The scales look like fresh water species fish I know, so you must clean the fish really clean to eat it.Another not so good point.

03. The shape tells me it is not reef species, maybe coastal on mangroove area.........don't tell me this is a fresh water species ?

04. I think this fish swim more on the surface than bottom.

So is my speculation any near the facts Wishbone ?

He he he he
IYA

You're right about one thing Iya:

1) You can't find it deeper than 10m.

Anyway,

It's still a rare kind of mullet for where I live. It's known as Far-East Mullet or So-iuy mullet.

The latin name is Mugil So-iuy.

The fish has been artificially introduced to the Sea of Azov by the Russians, because of the size (reaches up to 70 cm). The one on the foto is considered a bit over the average - 4.2 kilos. I've seen species of over 7 kilos. The fish kind of liked the new home and now I can say it's common for the Black Sea too.

The one on the picture has been speared by one of my team members during a competition.

Right,

Now this one is even harder!

The photo dates back to the 80's and is the only photo I was ever able to find of this fish.

Attachments

• evenharderone.jpg
    evenharderone.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 306
Looks like some kind of trout, either Rainbow or a Brownie.

Mind you Im basing this on the Australian species so I could be way off.

btw Wishbone your mullet (the fish not the haircut ;) ) look almost exactly like ours down here in Australia. Wack them in beer batter or make some nice fish cakes!

Announcement: In precisely 8.5 hrs I'll be diving into 17 degree water to chase some kingies! :D

Close enough Shadowkiller!

It's a VERY rare endemic Black Sea species we call Sea trout.

The latin is: Salmo trutta labrax

The English name is Black Sea Salmon. Go figure whether it's a trout or salmon! :duh

It is a salt water fish! Grows up to 24 kilos and this photo represents the very last case a Bulgarian spearo ever spotted one. I guess the pollution finally won the battle... :waterwork

I am dreaming to see one of those... But I'll never pull the trigger. A creature too beautiful to be true...

Ivan

Oh! And Shadow,

about the So-iuy mullet:

The mullets are a primary target for the local spearos. And we make fish cakes too! :)

This one though has a bit too much fat. So the best way to cook it is barbecue! And if you sprinkle beer over the fish while cooking, you get something really good!

Did you take a look at the eyes? Yellow to pure red! The first thing you see underwater is this enormous red eye watching you between the sea weed! I wonder why they didn't call it Mugil Draculus! :D

This is the only mullet I have ever seen hunting on small fishes...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT