• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Creature feature

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Abriapnea

Jan 16, 2002
Where are all our U/W photographers ?
Something I saw recently :

Attachments

• cowrie copy.jpg
    cowrie copy.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 874
I think you guys don`t dive without camera too take a photograph of interesting things.Is this coral or another sea animal?

looks like some form of nudibranch :)

or maybe it's a cowry with herpes. :D

Anderson...so how is it you know what a nudibranch with herpes looks like??????:confused:

c'mon, don't you remember 5th grade marine bio? :confused: :D we had ours mixed w/ sex ed. rofl

andrsn

guess thats better than the sheep we use here in mississippi!:t

Congrats Andrsn , it is a mole cowrie . The extrusions are papillae and I think contain sensory organs .
O.K. , here's another .

Attachments

• tube .jpg
    tube .jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 789
abri, what ocean are these guys in? are they your pics? :confused: cool if they are. :D

andrsn

Thanks Andrsn . Yes , these critters are all found around Koh Tao on the east coast of Thailand . Photos are all natural light with photoshop auto color correction .
C'mon guys , name the creature in previous photo !:D

There's a similar animal here in Central California, seen most often in areas that are also frequented by halibut. Here they are a tubillariae, or tube worm, the plumes making it look like an anemone are the "gills", and pnumatisyt-laden feeding arms.

sven

Sven , this one is the real thing ; a ceranthidae or tube anemone .
The nematocysts in its tentacles are so venomous no anemonefish can cohabit with them .

hi guys

Here on the GBR we get heaps of weird corals and stuff, I take it for granted, actually I never actually take notice of corals and stuff on the reef when im out there its always on deep bommies with fish so my concentration is on fish. However when tourists come over and when I was working on a snoekel charter boat most were more intertested in the corals rather than the fish life.

cheers

Here's a typical view of the top of a pinnacle

Attachments

• anemones .jpg
    anemones .jpg
    46 KB · Views: 724
I hate those )*#$%$ tube anemones! They burn my hands when I clean te tanks @ work. we've got a fair number of the darkblue variety.

really great pict though.

My first day I put a pair of small Occelaris Clowns in with one - it ate both of them in under an hour.

oops.....

Willer

Do you know that the best Indonesian reefs carry maybe some 80% of the world coral creatures and plants, with new species discovered every now and then by biologist and pro photographers. And me never pay attention to them. Some are so small that my macro photo friends needed so much time to point them to me cause I don't know what to look for..........my mind must be too fishy...he he he.

There are only 3 general names which I call them by :

1. Poisonous
2. Can sting
3. Delicous !!!!

Wha ha ha ha. I hate their difficult to pronounce sciencetific names.

When I was teaching scuba diving for fun, I have two hand signals to use when pointing out marine creatures to my students.

One represent "Don't touch, it sting !!"
The other is : "This is one Yummy-Yummy species "

So after 40 students I stop teaching....my hands just felt so itchy without a trigger.....can't do it anymore pointing so many delicous stuff without getting any.

Sometime I felt embarass that many people are so keen and happy to look at the coral creatures whereby I simply ignored it.
I seen so much but almost knows nothing of their names.

BTW, those photos are good. Many of the world's best photographers and videographers are ex great hunters, somehow their instinct and silent approach works wonder with the cameras.

IYA

Thanks Iya , now that I dont see much worth aiming a spear at am concentrating on those little creatures we normally miss when scanning the blue for big silvery shapes . :D

hi

Thats what I like to hear scanning the blue for those big silvery shapes, sometimes though Im scanning the blue for a big cearture up to 18ft with stripes and huge teeth.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT