• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Minima

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I like my minima although I've only been down to 10M with it. Hopefully in April I'll have a chance to take it deeper. I've worn it in the pool though and gotten comments like "What are you batman of the pool ?" :confused:

I have a sphera and like the broad field of view, although it scratches easy (they`re cheap, get a new one from time to time). I really don`t like the minima despite that it fits very comfortably and snugly. My GF has one and i tried it, I really really dislike the limited field of view. In fact you only see what`s right in front of view (ok, bad pun i know. could`t resist.). My Girlfriend loves the minima so I guess you have to try and see how it works for you...

Cheers, joe

Finally just bought a Minima. My buddy had to cancel a diving trip on Wednesday so haven't had a chance to get it wet yet. Someone mentioned costs.

Unfortuneaetly kit in Cyprus is at least double the DeeperBlue store prices. If I buy from the store the DHL shipping doubles everything up again :-(

Haha,

Here in Canada, alot of kit is at least three times the price, some more! A sphera mask for instance here is around $125-150 CAD ($84-100 USD) The rest of the freediving stuff just isn't available. With the exception of $250 Cressi Gara's... :D So I do all of my shopping online! I really should just buy shares in DHL... :head

Aaron

Hey paul the prices are much better here, especially OMER. You may want to try here first next time.

Hi Murat! Cy£23 [c. $46] was the bottom price I could find the Minima compared to $23 in the DeeperBlue store. I'm talking on this "side". Next time I'll get you to check out prices yoru side. Beats just smuggling bottles of EFES over...

I went diving with my minima on Sunday and had major problems with leakage and fogging. I noticed toward the end of the day that the left side of the strap was partially torn through. I think that and my moustache probably contributed to the leaking. I'll probably take JerseyJim's and JimGlynn's advice and shave the top third of my moustache before I dive.

All I know is it killed my diving on Sunday :vangry

The strap on my minima lasted only about 6 months

Hey -- wanna unload that Minima? I'll but it the next time I see you.

Thhe first thing to do after buying the minima is to discard the strap and put a beefy strap in it's place.

I think I'm going to hang onto it and just replace the strap. Do you want me to pick you up a minima from Leisure pro next time I'm there ?

rofl

Ironically, I stopped back on this thread to tell Meir that I was going to buy a TUSA Palatina since they have them at LeisurePro for a little under $40. Never heard about the Palatina until the day before we hit Blue, when the capt. of the boat I was diving loaned me his Palatine -- and then you show up w/ one the next day.

I think that it's the most comfortable low-volume mask that I've used to date and I'm big on letting serendipity guide me lately, so I fate seems to be telling me that I need a Palatina.

Along those lines, I went shopping for a C-5050 and the local camera shop has one for $400 -- fate again, so I'm gonna buy it ;).

... now let's talk about the boat down the street ...

New camera

Well, the cost of repair is going to be minimally about 40% of the cost of replacement, so I figured I'd replace it.

I disassembled the camera, cleaned it out, put it back together and it was about 80% functional, so I disassembled it again and have yet to reassemble it in my quest for 100% functionality. When you figure in the value of your time, replacement becomes a pretty reasonable option and If I get it back together, I'll just give it to the family and use the new camera for UW stuff.

BTW, anyone know if the C-5060 can fit in the PT015 UW case? I know that the 5060 is supposed to go in a PT020 case, but if it works "well enough" in the PT015 (like, maybe some obscure control is unavailable), then I might get a 5060 instead for the better video.

No biggie -- these things happen and it was worth the cost to see the springs. My only regret is that I didn't get to film anything at Alexander.

Oh yeah, and Dave Abel (a spearo on the East Coast Freediver group) swers by Jet-skis as spearfishing platforms, so I think that they're ok for just-offshore freediving and if you have a buddy or a wolf-pack, I suppose that you could get away with going out a pretty good distance.

Last edited:
I find the minima to be a pretty good mask. It's easy to equalize as it's such low volume. The field of view is pretty good. My slightly hairy face has caused a problem with leakage once, but I just have to remember to trim before I dive!
The only big downside I've found is that it's rubbish if you want to attach a snorkel. The rubber skirt is so soft that if you use a snorkel it leaks as soon as it touches the surface of the water! Absolutely useless - but then again it is a freediving mask and I suppose it's not really designed for snorkel use.

I've used the minima, loved it, eventhough it does tend to leak quite easly, and lost it.
Bought a sphera instead, and now an even happier diver.
After diving for a few weeks with my new sphera, I switched to Bevan's minima for a while (he has both masks), and the difference was noticable with full power, the sphera:
Has better (even much better) field of view.
Seals better (for me atleast).
Has lower volume, which doesn't matter much for my depths, but when going up it was easly noticable since with the minima I had a much bigger "cloud of bubbles" around my head.

The only thing the minima has on the sphera in my book is the glass lenses. The sphera just seems to sponteniously scratch.

PS: try puting your snokrel under your mask strap instead of connecting it, helped me with snorkel related leakings...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT