• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DB spearo 'world series'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A bad day..........

Hiya

Went spearing yesterday at Struisbaai again. Weather predicted a 2m swell and light wind. Good conditions. At the slip, i realise that i fogot my gloves at home. No problem as i always carry a spare set. As we're launching the rib i notice that the wheel bearing had colpased on the trailer :( . No problem, we'll sort it out later!!!! Anyways, now i start the motors (both of which i started at home) The one refuses to start. So off comes the cover and we check for spark and fuel. Both is present, so we surmise that the motor is flooded. In the process though, i managed to break the screw on the carb's float bowl. A bit of quick thinking and some match sticks and the hole is temporarily plugged.

So now we get the motor started and off we go. Outside the 2m swell is evident. Jump in at the wreck and do our first drift. 5 drifts later my mate manages a 8kg yellowtail. Thats it. Nobody seen anything else. Nothing.Nada. Zip. Zilch. Four hours later, i still haven't seen a decent fish. Viz is now 2-3m at the bottom with a thermocline at about 13-14m. Finally i see a bankie (reef fish) of about 4kg's and decided to shoot it. Long shot, and the fish has already seen me and spooked. With the bad viz, i guess as to where the fish would be, and shoot, and miss. Now i swim up to the surface and lo and behold, a school of about 20 yellowtail, ranging from 8-15kg's circle me in a merry-go-round fashion. They swim up from 16m down right to the surface with me, all whilst i'm frantically trying to reload my gun:waterwork :waterwork Needless to say that once my gun was loaded, they departed.

We then decided to work the shallower wrecks for some bank fish. The ground swell had churned up the sand pretty badly, so viz was non-existant (2m at best). Dived very close to the wreck (too scared to dive in completely open water in that viz :eek: ). I called the boat to pick me up, only to see a swell curl and break over the boat!!!!! :( :( . Buggy boy is freaked out and we then decided to call it quits and run for the harbour.

Spent two hours fixing the wheel bearing. I always carry spare bearings but my mate decided to leave the tool box at home:(
Finally fixed, we start the two hour ride home. 10 minutes later, the 4x4 just dies on us. (my mates 4x4, mine was left at home). Once again we find spark and petrol. A hour later, we're back on the road. Couldn't find the fault, vehicle just started!!!

I should've stayed in bed........................

miles

We all have some bad days! dont we :D

I bet you should get a record fish in the next dive ;)

Nice fish!

I never could get it over my heart to shoot red stump, until I tasted them ... damn!!!

Hiya

Yeah, really easy to shoot them in the struisbaai area. Try shooting one in false bay !!! :D :D They're just bloody awful, seems to know exactly how to stay just out of range!!!

Have to agree with you on the taste, yummy!!!!!!!

Regards
miles

Here are the results of my last few fishing trips;

Here is a 2 kilo sea bass caught with my pelagos 90.

Here is a whopping Bonito and a nice AJ both caught in less than 10m this Sunday morning.

Both were with pelagos also.

Fuzz I tried to smile I swear LOL ;)

Hey Shaca

Very nice fish dude !!! Spent my sunday crayfishing at CapePoint, took my gun out and hung it off my Buoy while I dived for kreef, but saw zip, nothing worth shooting. Was hoping to run into something.

C-Ya

Jeff

Hiya

Nice fish!!!! :D :D :D :D

Eagerly awaiting the picture of that 1000lb BF tuna!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

To my midwestern, fresh-water eyes.....THAT'S SOME CRAZY SH#T. Shane, you are opening my eyes to a buffet line I never knew existed. Cuttlefish? I woundn't have the foggiest idea where/what/how to start eating one of those things :) .

Those things taste awesome. Like Calamari (squid) only nicer.
Had them last night cooked with rice and tomato sauce.

Can be eaten fried or cooked with potatoes.

Even in their own ink.

Man thats made me hungry again.

;)

mmmmm Cuttle fish. Too bad there aren't any in Hawaii. We usually buy them dried, oh soo tasty. Kinda smelly but soo good. Fresh is probably even better.

Brad

Last edited:
Cuttle fish move close to the bottom and have camouflage of the colors on the bottom (red, brown, yellow, grey) that they can change to suit environment much like the octopus. They hunt along the bottom and they have two grappling tentacles and six (i think) small ones. Their body is shorter and stockier than that of the squid. The squid is white, grey, red, pinkish or transluscent and moves in surface to mid-depth but never direct proximity to the bottom like cuttlefish. Also has two grappling tentacles however the analogy between them and the six smaller ones is not as pronounced. Has more elongated body and travells in schools whereas cuttlefish go in 3s or 2s. Tastewise I prefer cuttlefish have thicker and "meatier" flesh. Suggested recipe is wine stew with onions.

Thanks Baur. The difference is quit distinct then. I saw both on TV many times, but was'nt sure about the names and properties.
I saw only squids in water so far. I don't know if we have cuttle fish here.

Last edited:
ARGH!!! So I got my new speargun in yesturday, and its pretty awesome... they even had the courtesy to screw on the tip at the warehouse, which was nice of them... except for one thing. THEY FORGOT THE THREAD LOCK! So I spent 3 hours in the 48° water this morning wearing my 3 mil shortie (my new 6 mil 2 piece will be here in an hour or 2!) and see nothing, so finally with my legs cramping up, i swim against the current back to my car, and about 100 feet off shore I decide to dive down 1 last time to look in a hole that stripers usually hang out in during the summer. Right below me is a GORGEOUS 19" fluke (I didnt know they were around yet, but this guy was) took aim and shot... perfect shot, but my lungs were SCREAMING for air, so I headed up to the surface after seeing that the spear was going right through the fluke. I go to pull up the spear, and i feel almost no resistance, and sure enough the damn tip had popped off and the fluke swam off and the tip was nowhere to be found. Talk about a crappy ending to a cold dive... over an hour after coming out of the water, I'm still shivering :hungover

Reactions: thud
Originally posted by ActiveMatrix
ARGH!!! I spent 3 hours in the 48° water this morning wearing my 3 mil shortie I'm still shivering

:duh I would guess so! Bummer about the tip, bigger bummer about the fish. What kind of tip was it and what shaft size... lemme look in my box of stuff.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT