• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DB spearo 'world series'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I agree with fuzz about the flexibility of the schedule. Sometimes there is no opportunity to dive in certain day. i.e. I was planing to go fishing today but i drunk too much last night. Or some of us may have exams or so....

For the judgement, since this is based on fun and no money or fame on it, it should not be problem for anyone.

Originally posted by fuzz
I think the criteria for judging should be two things: a nice simple story about your catch and it's uniqueness. By uniqueness, I mean something that makes it notable whether it's size, rarity, etc.... As we focus on the beauty of underwater hunting & the freedom it gives us, this contest should focus on quality instead of quantity. :inlove

I don't check the forum for one day, and come back to this!

Great idea Jeff. You're proving to be rather useful around here.

I'm with Fuzz 110% (quality over quantity), and I don't think that we will need to hype up the 'prizes' in order to get participation. Genuine curiosity will keep me glued to the screen, as I am infinitely curious as to what/how/where the rest of the forum hunts.

Of course I will 'compete', but I honestly don't care who wins.... It's all about the sharing :inlove. Prize...no prize...I'll be there. If we go into this thing with the right mindset, we should be able to keep the controversial hoohah to a minimum, and learn a heaping crapload about hunting conditions around the globe.

Here are some general criteria to consider (some may have been previously mentioned):

- Difficulty (of the shot, shore entry, dispatching, locating the fish, etc).
- Ecological respect - ie. passing up numerous to get that perfect one.
- Description of how you cleaned and ate the fish - with technique and recipe :p .
- And of course, (relative) size should be a consideration as well ;). If we set a standard for largest specimens, (I think Shadow suggested www.fishbase.org), disputes should be kept to a minimum.

Still, we shouldn't feel the need to be steadfast about the 'hard' numbers anyway. Afterall, if a 35 year-old 'seasoned' spearo shoots his ump-teenth 40 pound ulua and a 14 year-old newbie pops off a 20 pounder pb, ya gotta give props to the kid :).

Jeff has conjured up a great idea. It's up to us what we make of it. Personally, I think this forum has the character to pull it off.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Ted, you summed up what I was thinking beautifully - I'm more interested in seeing what people bring in & learning about how they secured it rather than who wins.

It should be a great learning experience ;)

Screw prizes, titles, etc. I'm in it just out of curiosity.

However u guys want it, I will stick to the PC screen to read all about it. Prize not required I guess, sharing the story is the best part..... :p

I am with Uni, post a photo of the cooked fish...yum yum. Recipe, is even better....:D

I won't join in as I am a bubble blower, but I am a very very patient reader.

1 fish per species will be nice, as Fuzz said "Quality over Quantity."

I think we are pretty close to a working format here, Confimation then that the comp will run for the entire month, with the picture/story entry to be in by the third of the next month for judging. That gives plenty of time to allow for bad weather, exams, colds and flu, no fish etc etc. ( a whole month to shoot your fish.) First month, Jan 2004.

The entry picture and story will be open to creativity, ie, how, why and where you got your fish, and if you like, how you cooked and prepared it. Remember that this is also to serve as a bit of insight for all of us as to the area's, conditions and circumstances that we all hunt as DB individuals, so we can learn and have a bit of a laugh...and also use it to plan our next spearo vacation !! Would be nice if the pics can show a bit of the ocean where you hunt, but not a criteria !

Bill and Eric to judge ?? I also nominate Iya as a judge ? The emphasis however, as implied by a few people, is not on competing, but on great stories, great pics, and a 'Mission-a-month' for DB spearo's.

regards

jeff

We should request seperate sub section in hunting forums in order to make it more alive and continous....

Hey guys. I just want to say this is a great idea. I'm new to the sport of freediving and spearfishing but I'd like to give this comp a shot if that's okay. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to spearfishing but what better way to learn? I've been studying up on freediving for about a year and I'm ganna try and hit it hard this coming year. I also plan to try spearing. So my only question right now is: Are freshwater fish entries allowed? Seeing as how I'm about 1200 miles from the nearest ocean.:head
Thanks guys,
Stitch

--- Heey Bluecape....do Lobster qualify? Kudos and Karma to all for the great ideas and contribution to the site ;)

OceanSwimmer

Within reason(nothing illegal), anything should be eligible. ;)

& Murat, I have some great octopus stories I have to share sometime - some pretty darn embarassing :eek:

Hi All

If you pull out a Lobster that provides a great story and pics...why not ??
I am away from my PC for 9 days, so will check in at an internet cafe every few days. I am spearfishing in Wilderness, looking to shoot my first big Cracker. Had the honour yesterday of being joined by 2 dolphins whilst returning from the reef. Awesome !

Also found a perfect spot at an estuary under a bridge, with the incoming tide bringing in huge Garrick, cracker, and all sorts of big fish. They only had one entrance, and that was right past the perfect ambush site. Was just one problem...a HUGE sign with the words..NO SPEARFISHING !!!

Ah well, would probably have been just too easy,

Regards all, back in a few days

Jeff.

Hi Everyone,

Well January 2004 has rolled in, so I think we should get this 'World series' on the roll ! I think we decided that we have the whole month, until the 3rd Feb. to post our entries. A reminder from a previous post..."The entry picture and story will be open to creativity, ie, how, why and where you got your fish, and if you like, how you cooked and prepared it. Remember that this is also to serve as a bit of insight for all of us as to the area's, conditions and circumstances that we all hunt as DB individuals, so we can learn and have a bit of a laugh...and also use it to plan our next spearo vacation !! Would be nice if the pics can show a bit of the ocean where you hunt, but not a criteria ! "

Bill, Eric and Iya were proposed as judges, Ted, you keen to judge ?? Otherwise we forget the judging, and send the pics and stories.

Happy Hunting all !!

Jeff

Anybody got anything yet? Am looking foreward to the pictures. Went last week and came home with a handful of sanddollars and a big skunk on my stringer.
Happy hunting,
Boyd

Reactions: bobbybuttr
Jon had an interesting couple days stickin' by the power-plant. He posted his story in the freediving stories section. The dip$hit should have posted here :D.

I've been out twice and caught zilch :(

Missed a nice grouper and had a close encounter with a 8-10kilo sea bass in 0.5m of water. B^$*^ard got away without giving me a chance to shoot.

not yet, but soon... in two weeks I'll be in water and bring in the first bass of the year!
till then I am neck deep in work.

Pekka

Hadn't been in water for months:waterwork

Final examinations will finish next week, i will go lots of spearing in feburary(if the wheather is good enough). I am planing to improve my depth rather than pursuing fishe is shallow water...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT