• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DeeperBlue.com Announce 2015 UK Member Meet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00027.JPG
DSC00028.JPG
DSC00029.JPG
DSC00030.JPG
DSC00031.JPG
DSC00035.JPG
DSC00036.JPG
DSC00034.JPG
DSC00038.JPG

Big thanks again to Mart, Sarah and Stephan for another great weekend this year. Nice to see and catch up with everyone. Roll on 2016 (y)

Reactions: foxfish
(y)Come on spill the beans it's bad enough that I couldn't go ! Now you tease me with whispers .Made up you had good weather and a great time well done to all.

No Gilthead, although I saw 3 large ones yesterday .......almost almost nearly just about had one :) I'd just strung a bass and it appeared close by before I'd reloaded, had a look then shot off.
I think Edin has seen some good ones too.
We both did alright yesterday - Edin got a 12lb pollock which was smoked and frozen.
I also grabbed a couple of hours yesterday and had 5 bass of 5 - 8 lbs around the knife. The freezer is nearly full but there might just be time for 1 more dive over high tide again.....

It is 5.5kg pollock.
Although such fish is more common in Scotland (and even in north Wales), its distribution is somewhat less dense as one goes more south.
For some reason I have this figure of 13lbs being Guernsey spearing record for pollock, done in one of the first spearing comps in 70-ties.
As my memory has never been so good, that is probably wrong, but I am sure Mart will know the correct numbers.

I would have posted a pic of it in the forum 10 years ago.
Now, we have a forum full of know-it-all self-righteous spearos with a couple of seasons experience who will object to:
-fish in the pic being too small
-fish in the pic being too big
-fish in the pic being nothing spectacular (medium)
-pic is not done in portland pose
-spearo looks like having too much fun on the photo - they should have sad face, as fish was killed
-fish was caught in day/night
-fish wasn't caught with polespear
-fish wasn't caught with bare teeth
-pics should not be taken at all as they give the wrong message (whatever the message is)
-are you diving alone? you should really dive with clueless buddy who has got plastic card with some stars on it and this is supposed to assure you he will not spear you

List is pretty much endless.
It is also not rare nowadays to do a witch hunt on an old pic and DB is not an exception to this practice.
And - I also do not have any gear to promote.

No Gilthead, although I saw 3 large ones yesterday .......almost almost nearly just about had one :) I'd just strung a bass and it appeared close by before I'd reloaded, had a look then shot off.
I think Edin has seen some good ones too.
We both did alright yesterday - Edin got a 12lb pollock which was smoked and frozen.
I also grabbed a couple of hours yesterday and had 5 bass of 5 - 8 lbs around the knife. The freezer is nearly full but there might just be time for 1 more dive over high tide again.....
That's great Lana can eat again ! Has Lana had her first wee kill yet!

That's great Lana can eat again ! Has Lana had her first wee kill yet!
Not so much a kill Ian but a baby turbot was caught and released entirely unassisted.
She used a beaching technique to wash them out a rock pool :)

Reactions: Trelawney
OMD was probably the last (Guernsey) person who could remember any accurate details but, I seem to remember the record Pollock was one of a brace of doubles, caught during an early 1980s open spearfishing comp held at Bulwer Avenue.
The captor was either French or Italian and was said to have shot both Pollock on one breath ... 11lb & 13lb

What I can mainly remember, was the public outcry due to the huge quantities of Conger & Wrasse that were landed!

There was one more open comp held a few years later, It was held at L'Eree .

It seemed nothing was learned from the previous open as this copm also resulted in large quantities of conger & wrasse!!
One good reason we don't have conger or wrasse on our specimen list.....

I finally got my four year old 35mm camera film developed. Photos were taken of the first DB Spearo Meet in 2012. Some didn't come out, but these were OK.
49490016.jpg
49490017.jpg
49490018.jpg
49490021.jpg
49500001.jpg
49500002.jpg
49500006.jpg
49500007.jpg
49500008.jpg
49490013.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT