• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

dilemma between two masks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I have a dilemma between two masks omer up m1 and sporasub mystic.
If anyone has had experience, and would like to share.

thx

None of them. BTW, the Sphera mask is not good for spearfishing. It is for freediving. It has spherical glasses (polycarbonate) that distorts the image.

Look into Cressi, Picasso, Mares.

hello,
Thanks for the response,I have mares star ls, but the problem is that the mask is probably too narrow as water enters from the sides.
My range of masks is limited because I need a mask with optical lenses, so two options besides the mask I have today which have a minimum volume and have the option of optical lenses is this two.

I have the UP M1, and it works great for me. Soft fit and the ultra low volume makes equalizing practically unnecessary. Overall great imho.

I have the Omer one and I love it but I'm free diving, not spearfishing. One good thing about this mask is that it's one of the few masks that you can get lenses for for extremely cheap if you need glasses and don't want to wear contacts. They sell glasses for each .5 diopter step (sorry I'm not sure if it's the correct term, it's what's used in France to measure shortsightedness) for really cheap (I got glasses for 15 euros each at my local dive shop). Anyways, if possible, it's best to buy your mask at a local dive shop so you can try it on and see if it fits your face.
Have a look at the Cressi Calibro. I haven't tried it as it wasn't available yet when I bought my mask but I've heard that it's a good and cheap mask.

I have a spora mystic, have had it for a few years and never wear it. Took it on a non diving/spearing holiday as wasn’t the plan to dive. Wore it for 10 mins and remembered why a hadn’t warn it in such a long time.
it feels great out of the water, nice and soft, low volume, good wide angle etc. Should be perfect right?! NO...I have never had a mask that fogs up like this one. (FYI - I’m not a retard, and tried all the tricks.) it even fogs with proper antifog, flamed lens and toothpaste cleaned.
Secondly, unless you are clean wet shaved this mask let’s in water as It has a very think soft single skirt.
Bottom line though, masks are very personal and not all are good or bad for everyone.
having used many I have settled on the cressi calibro. It’s not the softest feel but very comfortable, deals well with a little stubble, fog is manageable with spit/antifog.

Thanks, I might be considering buying both and see if they fit me.
My current mask mares star ls leaking from the sides for me.

Made in China, bad quality materials. Will break shortly. Both. Buy something made in Italy, France, USA, etc. If you don't like Cressi, look into Mares, Beuchat, Picasso, etc.

Or don't ask for advice.

BTW, fog is not a mask problem. Is a user problem. There's lot of information in the web, but here's how:

Burn (inside, outside and all around), clean with dishwasher soap, burn again (don't be afraid, baking molds nowadays are made of silicone), wash again. rub with toothpaste and let it rest overnight, wash with hot water, rub again, wash again. Spit (over dry mask) and rub after each dive.
It it still fogs, repeat all of the above. Eventually, it will stop. Masks are assembled using silicone grease and it should be removed completely to avoid fogging. It might be more difficult in some masks than others.

If you have a dishwasher, you can throw it inside and leave it there for a week or so. It also works.

Last edited:
Have you had any of these masks yet damaged to you?
Has anything happened to someone who has a mask?
Thanks

Is there much chance of success removing the lenses from the goggle frame to do a thorough cleaning/burning? It sounds like one can get optical glass replacements, is this always a special order assy from the manufacturer not sure if they are glued in or something?

I'm using a Cressi Minima and a Cress Matrix. The latter is a bit larger but offers a far better vision, still having a small volume. I inserted lenses with a correction of my miopia (about 5 grades). Both of them are recommendable...

Reactions: marco15499
Hi Cressi calibro with mirrored lenses dont burn excess silocon with lighter Flame I use commo mouth wash not getting in my eyes or use a lemmon plate washing soap,. My other masks i use the flame and tooth paste technique,. Mares, Cressi Beuchat ,Tusa view trec its a Head spinner.!Plannetsub in Italy has a good selection of masks also Diveinn this could give you an idea of whats around to choose from .Their is also Maremossoforzasette also translated in to English on these iItalian sites or Spanish they have optical lense options.If you find a good occasion purchase 2 masks one as a precaution spare having same lense sized mask leaving you with less problems in the future.Then if not suitable contact a number of Opticians to discuss your position regarding a mask or masks good luck hunting

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT