• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Movie Reviews!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Corny as it may be, I still like the "Big Blue". My wife can't stand watching it, because of Rosanna Arquette, but thes rest of it is pretty cool. It was one of the things that got me into freediving more seriously, instead of spending all of my time scuba diving.

As Erik said, "The DIVE" is a great movie that I saw once and haven't been able to find again. It's worthwhile to see if you can find it.

One of the most fun underwater movies has still got to be "THUNDERBALL". The underwater fight scene at the end is, well, killer. ;)

Otherwise, Hollywood always gets it wrong. I can't even bring myself to see "Openwater" as it just sounds so stupid. Non-divers that I have talked to saw it and thought it was dumb.

There was another old film I remember seeing once where this guy wearing a Cressi full-face mask and swims through the rivers of Amsterdam and shoots people with a spear gun- I think it was called "Amsterdammed". rofl

Jon

Jon said:
Corny as it may be, I still like the "Big Blue". My wife can't stand watching it, because of Rosanna Arquette, but thes rest of it is pretty cool. It was one of the things that got me into freediving more seriously, instead of spending all of my time scuba diving.

Jon

i agree with your wife. What an irritating individual. I was listening to the soundtrack yesterday, and there's one song with Rosanna A in the background asking directions in Spanish... grrrrrr *i am already imagining throttling her*

I like to see the movie for the blue water scenes, the mediterrean backdrop, etc.

Reactions: sinkweight
Replace Arquette... with who?

Amphibious said:
that girl is so nasty, worst part of the movie :yack

yeah they could have chosen someone who was at least worth looking at.. even though the acting was cr@p.

Any suggestions for an Arquette replacement?

In fact, suggestions for a RERUN of The Big Blue... with Stephan's hidden ideas up his sleeve.... ;)

THE DEEPER BIG BLUE

Suggested casting... post your suggestions:

1. David Lee hehehe

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1. Shannon Elizabeth
2. Rachel Lee Cook
3. Lindsay Lohan
4. Nikki Cox
5. Jenna Jameson (that would be one helluva "diving" movie"!)

:D

Last edited:
Lindsay Lohan?! oh god, ok since this thread is only getting worse!...

i just wanted to say, jean-marc barr was extremely HOT in that movie, and it definitly gets me motivated to practicing.. but i know that its not an accurate depiction of the sport. like it was said before, the movie is a "stepping stone".. i haven't seen "the freediver" but i heard it was pretty corny too. i think i'd watch any uw movie for its uw visuals, but i guess you have to have a plot.. i don't think "ocean men" by imax is being distributed to the public.. ever.. so I'm not sure if i'll ever get to see that one.
"open water" was also very good, the uw visuals were beautiful, especially when you consider that it was made by a husband and wife team! good for them!
kind of like the scuba version of "touching the void".. a real life experience.. it makes you think-- what sort of thing people go through to do their sport; why do they love it, why do they risk their life for it? a compilation of autobiographies would be great-- whenever you throw some non-diver into the movie- it always looks like a sham.

iceselkie said:
Lindsay Lohan?! oh god, ok since this thread is only getting worse!...

19, Red hair, Freckles, big boobs, PERFECT :girlie and at my age there is nothing wrong with that :D

Alright, this if a great thread, I'll bite.

Arquette replacement list:

1. Bea Arthur

2. Zelda Rubenstein (smaller lady from Poltergeist)

3. Charo

4. Jean Stapleton (Archie Bunker's wife)

5. A quiet cardboard cut-out of Rosanna Arquette

alright, alright...

Stephen, I hope you do something with that footage. Man, that'll be awesome. Put me somewhere on top of the waiting list to see, buy it on DVD, then repurchase the collector's DVD (with the commentary tracks). I hope you work on the sequel while your making this one, too. I can't wait to buy the Deeperblue II: Space Death-Pirate Blood Revenge Massacre printed bedsheets.

alright, alright, alright...

I seriously can't wait to see what Papa Smurf has in store. He seems to be around all the good stuff when it goes down. YEAH! GET ON THAT ALREADY!

Arquette vs. Redhead Lindsay Lohan

hmmm Amphibious... sinkweight...

Lindsay Lohan frump girl? rofl
Arquette the bag lady rofl (well we all agree on that)
Bea Arthur - har har har sinkweight :)
Shannon Elizabeth um cowgirl hat - all she needs are the white CFM boots - on second thoughts.. look at the second photo of her.. you couldn't let those nashers on your snorkel :D
Jenna Jameson.. errrrrrrrmm this is pg-rated website ;)

keep going guys...

Attachments

• 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 120
  • meanpreg.jpg
    meanpreg.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 136
  • elizabeth005.jpg
    elizabeth005.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 129
  • elizabeth004.jpg
    elizabeth004.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 129
  • photos009.jpg
    photos009.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 112
Arquette the bag lady rofl (well we all agree on that)

What..that she had a lot of baggage in The Big Blue?

Shannon Elizabeth- on second thoughts.. look at the second photo of her.. you couldn't let those nashers on your snorkel

HAAAAA! HA! HA!

yeowch! She looks like she could bond with cetaceans, though...baleen whales, specifically.

alright, that's just mean. And I'm going to stop doing the ghost-ink trick.

...hold on, folks...this just in from the Sinkweight Headquarters...

a new list of Arquette replacements.

1. Grace Jones

2. Judy Dench

3. Miss Piggy (instead of "Oh, Kermie!", imagine "Oh, Jaque-ee!")

4. Courtney Love

5. Dame Edna

Unsettling?

Attachments

• Eddie.jpg
    Eddie.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 117
  • hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Piggypoo.jpg
    Piggypoo.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Denchy.jpg
    Denchy.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Gracie.jpg
    Gracie.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
THE BIG BLUE: I love the photography but found the acting a bit shallow. One thing that pissed me off was seeing a tropical environment underwater (the scene with Mayol as a kid feeding a moray) while diving in the Aegean!

For those who want to be spies: This color is better than white as invisible ink! :cool:

Adrian

Adrian said:
For those who want to be spies: This color is better than white as invisible ink! :cool:

Adrian

But Geez Adrian, who wants to deal with Pantone numbers :yack

rofl rofl

You are right though, there is NO trace of that text on the background.....

Franck Rondello (le shrimp) as ze little Frenchman
Stephan Whelan as Enzo
Island Sands as Joanna

oh sorry - did you mean celebrities?
in which case

Jean Marc Barr keeps his role.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm............. or if he's not available, Patrick Musimu would do...
Pipin as Enzo
Lara Croft as Joanna but change the script so she's not such a b****y bridget jones pathetic piece of womanhood

I couldn't watch Open Water, the camera work made me sea sick... and bored...

and I can't be a****d with invisible ink sorry

Sam

Last edited:
Yeah Lara Croft would make a great freediving movie star, I can just picture the scene now... she can't stand her boyfriend making deeper dives than her, so she makes this amazing dive but runs out of air! She nicks herself with a dive knife and rides a shark up! :D

Ok, i might vote for Estella Warren to be the new Joanna, she was at least a synchro swimmer (and Canadian)...

Attachments

• 3s.jpg
    3s.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Ok.

Women of the 80's who I'd liked to have seen replace replace Arquette?...

1. Diane Lane
2. Michelle Pfeiffer
3. Isabella Rosellini
4. Patricia Wright Penn
5. Helen Slater

as for the new wave talent for the making of Big Blue Tue

1. Kirsten Dunst
2. Kate Winslet
3. Gweneth Paltrow
4. Milla Jovovich
5. Kate Blanchett

Disclaimer: The list above are not neccessarily in any order.

That's my real list. That covers both what-ifs...new and old.

I think most of these women, depite their beauty, are very good actors....However, I'd much rather see a young, late 1960's Mimsey Farmer take the part. Who else looks good in an orange miniskirt kneehigh SS boots and throwing knives?

Then of course, I'm a Pink Floyd fan.

Hard-core Floydies get the Floyd/Farmer connection.

I digress. I'm going to put on the album More.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT