• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Sept 22??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Don't let my plans spoil you guys from getting together. Sounds like SSYC would be the best place...if it is clear. (Although, I would like to send Scott to somewhere where there are NO carp...so I can pass him up this weekend! :martial)

I'm still up in the air on things...Jan (wife) is going to MN on Friday, & I need to be certain that I can get the kids to their events on Friday night/Saturday...they also need some Fatherly support. :)

Balance in everything brings peace...or so I'm told!

Bla, Bla, Bla...I want to shoot some carp!:martial

OK, I got it out of my system. Good luck to all, where ever you go. If I can make it, I'll be there, but I may go to Sheboygan to be with my dad, salmon & numerous Lake Michigan carp. rofl

Gene

Well if you guys go to Lake Geneva can we come :inlove?
Dude, it's an open invite.

I say we look to go to Lake Mich. If the weather looks rough Friday we will change to Geneva.

So far the count is me, whopperhead and bgill. also on the radar are trident, pinggene and I may bring someone else along. (almost enough for a class HA!)

I could bring my boat - (17' LUND) if the weather is nice- and I have a large 2'x3' Dive Flag - Also if the weather is nice and we decide to goto Lake Mich - I believe TASS will be joining us-

Gene - LOL - I haven't even BEGUN to bring the PAIN on these Carp. The last thing going through their mind will be my SPEAR! I bought a new Beuchat Marlin 115cm - That thing has some distance to it- A carp at 15' - No Problem! BOOYAH! ;)

"DING DING"

Yo whopper - I will bring my 110 Omer! Plus I am still wanting to try out my Manny Puig Pole spear. Man that thing is beefy you could use it to hunt black bear :t.

I just thought about it, I'm going to have to get a fishing permit. Where?

ILDiver: You'd be driving less than 2 miles from my house if you went to SSYC on 43 north from Beloit - I'm just off of 43 & 164 a few miles...

In the city of New Berlin there is a Sportsman's Warehouse...It's also along the way.

I would like to be at SSYC by 10:00 or so just in case we have to go to Lake Geneva -

I'm not sure what time Sportsman's Warehouse opens - check it out. Just an idea. I don't think you can get a Wisconsin license in Illinois.

Last edited:
you can always get them at WALMART - Are we meeting at any particular place - SSYC or Bgill's ?

Whopperhead: Does not matter to me. We can meet there or here. My house would PROBABLY be better. Especially if we have to bring my canoe...I can also transport up to 6 guys in my "wifes" van!

I'm outta here in a minute to go do a JOB...

Hey...I gotta work ONCE in AWHILE...:t

Whop: Are you bringing your boat?

TRIDENT....CERTAINLY you can come and even bring a friend...SSYC is looking pretty good...But a pontoon boat on lake geneva would be good. I'd love to check out some of my waypoints ( up close & personal!!) that I've stored on my GPS over the years while icefishing.

If Lake Geneva does'nt happen - Maybe we'll have to make THAT a plan....Sounds cool! You are also welcome to join us @ SSYC if you'd like!

Last edited:
I don't really have to bring my boat - but If everyone would like me to - I can. I won't be bringing it if it's windy in any way. I can't wait!

Tri - I meant check it out in person some time :) I've seen it plenty on-line.

Stopping by bgill's is fine with me, just PM me an addy and I'll put it in the gps. I bought one to prevent too much hassle driving up that way to find the dive locations.:cool:

I'm looking forward this! Wish I had my OMER order in. :hmm :waterwork

Thanks whopper for the invite. I will post up a thread in when I get back from the weekend about a Pontoon Boat in Lake Geneva.

Tri, I didn't realize what the link was too, assumed it was to the polespear... Now what type of license....

115 2-Day Great Lakes Sport Fishing $14.00
200 Nonres Annual Fishing $50.00
216 Nonres 4-day Fishing $24.00

???

Tri, I didn't realize what the link was too, assumed it was to the polespear... Now what type of license....

115 2-Day Great Lakes Sport Fishing $14.00
200 Nonres Annual Fishing $50.00
216 Nonres 4-day Fishing $24.00

???

rofl
Yeah I kind of figured! I would just do a 2 day license to get your fins wet, it is coming near to the end of the season (chilly water for me).

Good luck this weekend guys. I will be going up to lake geneva in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps we can get a couple of folks together and split the cost of the pontoon (500 - 600 bucks :yack) for the day. If not you can all pay a FEE to BASK IN MY GLOW! rofl

That way we can use it with a huge dive flag and not get hurt! Plus we can scope out the entire lake! Not to mention if I go we will need a boat to haul all the fish I shoot around! rofl

Good luck again guys, be safe and I will be looking for lots of reports!
T- out.

ILDiver - I would get either the Non-res year or the non res 4day- you aren't shooting salmon - so you don't need the great lakes one-

Prolly get the anual and just try to get up there another time or 2 this year.

No, you can't shoot salmon.:head

Scott, if you bring your boat to Milwaukee make sure you have an ALPHA flag as well as your red and white dive flag- so you don't get ticketed by the Police or Coast Guard. The standard red and white flag is fine for inland lakes but you'll need the Alpha out on Lake Michigan.

I stopped by the outlet today and took a look- it wasn't pretty. Not only was the water green, but it was a very bright pea colored green that you wouldn't be able to see 3 inches in. :(

As far as Lake Michigan goes, I just got off the phone with my father-in-law and he said that last night's diving charter was flat calm and decent vis- over 30'. He also mentioned that there was quite a bit of current and they needed to set drift lines to catch the scuba divers on their ascent- so they wouldn't blow across th lake.rofl

Today he did a salvage job in Mc Kinnley Marina and had the best vis of the season in there- over 10' which is huge for that place. Water temps have dropped a bit- 54F on the surface. I didn't ask what level the thermocline was at, but I assume it's down at least 30' by now.

I'll have to see what the wife says, but I might make it out there. My other option is to do some spearing up in Washura county- warmer water, but less vis.

Jon

I do not have an ALPHA Flag - But I should get one. I guess my boat is out of the question this weekend for the big lake. I wounder - would we need one if we took a canoe out?

Do you need the "Alpha" flag with a canoe or kayak if diving? :confused:

I don't know for sure - but I've been buzzed by the cops and the Coast Guard a whole mess of times out there - and have never been bothered by them...They just wave or thumbs up! :)

I'd think I woulda been busted by now...Good idea to have one out though (alpha flag)...even if you don't HAVE too. What it does is it tells other vessles that your vessle or (boat) cant move and is temporarily stationary - All vessles must give way.

Pretty sure they can figure that out though with a S.O.T. Kayak or a canoe when there is NOBODY in it & a HUGE red & white dive flag bobbing around!

I HOPE!

But like I said...no problems with my huge red & white dive flag on Lake michigan so far.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT