• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Sept 22??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I looked it up - it states that "all POWERED Vessles" must have a Alpha Flag on the Front. But still might not be a bad Idea.

Last edited:
Got my license, I got the Annual, it's good till the end of March. So with a 5mm opencell wetsuit I should be able to dive into colder waters.

My big concern this weekend will be my feet. At Devil's Lake I was bare foot. After about 2 hours in the water my skin gets soft and the fins start to peel the skin. I need some booties. We have some at the shop, but they don't really fit an make it uncomfortable too. Maybe I'll bring a pair of socks and just go that route for now.

ILDiver - What size shoe do you wear? I've got 3 extra pairs - I wear 11 shoe- I think smaller would work and one pair is a little big on me so, maybe 12's.

If you can bring them along, I'd love to try them on! I wear an 11-13 depending on brand.

Weather wise for tomorrow - it looks like Sun, and a NW Wind 5-10mph :friday - But you never know. Someone (Bgill) needs to make the call (Bgill) if it's a go to SSYC (Bgill). Are we going to try to meet at SSYC at 10 am or at BGILL's house by 9:30am? ALL I know is we are shooting fish :martial Gene- You should come so you have a fair shot at the TITLE rofl I will not hold back- If there are carp - I am not holding back - I hope my Vehicle can handle the weight. I wonder if I need a 3rd Stringer?

on a more Serious note...........Does anyone know of Spearfishing Records in Wisconsin or are we considered to be in the same category as BOWFISHING? Just wondering when I spear that 60# CARP! :t

Hard Westerly winds ALL DAY TODAY!!! :inlove We could be in for a real treat visability wise...I hope so...I'd say its a go for Lake Michigan tomorrow....The winds are't gonna be AS bad as they've been as far as wind-speed goes. Jon says that McKinley Marina is clearer now that in recent memory...Thats also a good sign. Hopefully we don't get too much rain if it rains...

I wouldnt mind taking my Kayak - If someone could transport it or the canoe (I can't take both on one vehicle) That covers four guys.

I only have enough straps to transport one water vessle, and only two life vests (required to have "in" the kayak and canoe)...So someone bring a few tie downs and a few life vest's or even a Yak or canoe!! Otherwise...Its a long swim out there but I've done it a few times...I mean...we swim around lakes all day...Don't we? I know me Whopperhead and Tass do...I don't think we are SUPPOSED to swim through the gaps though..I just stay REALY close to the rocks. If a boat hits me & my dive flag there...He's also hitting big-time rocks!

It's nice to have the yak just to store stuff on and the same with the canoe...Stuff like GIANT CARP!!!!!!

I'd say meet here at 9:00 - 9:30 to throw together the game plan & discuss the alternate JUST IN CASE! Then dive dive dive!

s67 w25455 skyline ave. Waukesha, Wi.

How many total are definately coming?

Last edited:
aight, I'm ready! I'll map it out and try to get there by 9:00. I'll PM my cell number to bgill and whopperhead jic.

--Chris

Saturday is out for me, but Sunday looks like a "GO".

Another option for you, if you don't want to bring your boats, is to go south a little ways on Superior Street, past Oklahoma ave, and park by the soccer fields. Go down the hill there and swim out to the relief gap in the rubble wall. You'll swim right over a shipwreck on your way out (The Volunteer) and once outside the wall you should have decent vis and plenty of carp to shoot. This gap is not one of the regular passagways for boats as the water is too shallow and there are some big boulders in there. The gap to the north, by SSYC, is a navigable gap with bouys makring the entrance to it- which means lots of boat traffic. I would stay clear of that one, although I have dove there before in the winter time when all the boats are pulled out for the season.

IF you swim out to the gap that I mentioned a decent dive would be to head south to the end of the wall. At the very end you go go straight east, into the lake, and you'll be on the high side of a nice rock reef that runs from the edge of the wall out to the green bell bouy. The reef is 20', or less, on the high side and 40' on the south side. Top of the reef comes within 10' of the surface- maybe even shallower theses days. It's a bit of a swim but you'll be shealtered by the wall the whole time and you can always climb over it if the waves get too rough.

In that section of the harbour you should find plenty of weed beds just off shore- all less than 12' deep.

Jon

Have fun you guys. I have to meet a plumber at the in-laws old house @ 7 AM...:vangry.

So, I'm taking 1/2 a day & going up to White Lake...a little birdie told me there are a ton of carp & the vis is great...we'll see.

Good luck on the 60# carp...we are shooting for numbers not weight (just had to get that out there).

Post how you do, & I'll do the same.

gene

12:49 pm Friday -- Just checked the lake here.... in spite of a strong southerly wind (at the moment), visibility along this part of Lake Michigan's shore is very good.

Looks like it should hold through tomorrow! Have fun!

BGILL - I am coming fo sho and TASS is "More-than-likely" coming. I think I will have my Trailor with me - as I have to haul a table to Paddock Lake after I'm done diving. We could throw your Yak in there. I have lots of Vests I'll bring too.

:) Cool...all my gear is organized and ready to go...It sounds like 4 guys? That'll be perfect...I don't mind if more show up it's just thats what we got room for in the canoe and yak....BRING THOSE VEST!!! Don't forget your dive flags!!!

See ya at 9:00 or so!

With the canoe and yak we can check out where Jon was talking about easily...Lets just hope this wind calms down a bit!

ILDiver, Whopperhead, Tass & myself....Anyone else?

The forcast is shaping up nicely for tomorrow....The winds in South Milwaukee near the lake have been SSW & SW all day...As long as I see the "W" I'm happy!

The winds are supposed to die down to bearable levels in the early morning too!

I'm sure we'll find at least decent visability...I'm PUMPED!!!!:martial

MANY MANY FISH WILL DIE TOMORROW. THE MOTHER OF ALL CARP WILL PERISH..AND THE SUCKER OF ALL SUCKERS WILL CEASE SUCKING -OILY SHAD BLOOD WILL LITTER THE COOL CLEAR WATERS AND ALL THE FRESHWATER DRUM FOR MILES AROUND WILL SHIVER IN FEAR...FOR THE DAY OF RECKONING FOR THEM IS NEAR...BE AFRAID YE FISH OF SOUTH SHORE...AND IF PERCH BE NEAR THEY TOO SHALL BE VERY AFRAID...THE END FOR THEM IS NEAR. VERY NEAR INDEED.

Ya...I know...I'm a weirdo!!!!!:thankyouThank you very much! :t

Last edited:
Reactions: ILDiver
Bgill, you motivate me. Unless the vis is totally shot by the weather tonight I am in for sure. Wishfull thinking...

Only light rain around here - And still strong westerly winds :t...

We should have decent to awesome visability...If the barge is'nt out moving rocks I'd like to check out the south wall too. I don't know how long you guys plan on stayin' out...But I usually stay atleast 3 hours...Sometimes double that.

I just set my alarm for 7:30 - If anyone does'nt want to drive home after diving you can always catch a couple of winks at my house...My couch and queen size futon are open. Maybe we can grab a bite to eat...Pizza is always good! We could even grab something at the snack hut or whatever it is there. I usually don't eat much if anything before diving. So afterwards I get pretty hungry!

Everyone have a safe trip here...See y'all in the morning!!! Hopefully by 9:30...Drive safe!

ILDiver - If you get to 43 & 164 you'll be LESS than two miles from my house. North on 164 to first left AFTER the lights...Skyline Avenue...Take Skyline WEST almost to the end. I'm the second to the last driveway on your left...Driveway is gravel and goes down a hill. See ya!

Scott - Dont forget the PFD's please!

I've got 3 PFD's in the car already- Should be there just before 9:30 -

Water temp outside the wall was 46.8 degrees - inside the wall it was 54 degrees - Vis outside the wall was outstanding! not sure on the feet maybe 60' - 70' or better- I'm a poor judge. Not many fish on the outside of the wall- a few Lake Trout and some Salmon but GREAT VIS!

Went to the inside of the wall into some weeds and finally found some fish to shoot :martial - I saw schools of Perch - but nothing worth shooting- Saw several carp but was only able to shoot at one- And I had to get my other speargun and shoot her again so she wouldn't get away. I ended up shooting 5 Shad - but only ended up with 3 - 2 slipped away right before I could get them on the stringer- But oily shad blood was spilt ;)

It was a good day - Wish I had my 5mm on- but seemed to do ok for being in the water for about 5 1/2 hours in a 3mm.

Here's a few Pics will post more.....................

Whopperhead & ILDiver showing their Carp, Whopperhead w/ a nice Shad, TASS, BGill, and ILDiver chill'n on the Canoe

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
IMG_0200.jpg

roflroflroflroflroflThe pic above is Bgill, BELOW from LEFT to RIGHT: Whopperhead, TASS, Bgill with propeller, ILDiver, and ILDIVER

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT