• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Fluid Goggles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
According to Trygons they have been sent a batch of lenses of incorrect strength. These ended up in the fluid goggles I order for me and some friends. Trygons is very responsive to my emails and is doing their best to fix the problem. They want to be 110% certain that this is what causes the bad underwater vision. When they are sure of this fixed goggles will be arriving at my place soon.

- Eric

According to Trygons they have been sent a batch of lenses of incorrect strength. These ended up in the fluid goggles I order for me and some friends. Trygons is very responsive to my emails and is doing their best to fix the problem. They want to be 110% certain that this is what causes the bad underwater vision. When they are sure of this fixed goggles will be arriving at my place soon.

- Eric

Did you get the issue sorted Eric? How are you finding the goggles now?
Q

Hi,

To tell you the truth I am less than satisfied with them. The goggles now have holes where the lenses are glued in. This puts the lenses another mm closer to the eyes. Some people can't even open or close their eyes anymore. But the biggest problem is that with the focus distance of these lenses they should be further away for a sharp image. The lenses are somewhat foggy compares to clear glass lenses so you loose some sharpness already. Anyway... I am not happy with them and although the shape of your head plays a role, I would not buy them again.

Eric
Posted via Mobile Device

Shame, i guess ill wait a few months for them to work out their kinks.

Thanks Eric

Shabbat shalom!

OK fellow freedivers, I come here with good news. Final solution for great goggles is here! It is confirmed, tested, nice and simple. It comes from Anchor Optics and it catalog number is:

AX23086

Anchor Optics - Commercial Grade Plano-Convex Lenses (PCX) , Uncoated

From all different lenses and companies this particular one is by far the highest quality finish and sharpest image. How sharp is it?

I see clearly underwater to the point that I read smallest digits on my Suunto!
I had it both in pool and lake and it works great, couldn't be happier about it.

Few pictures below:
1) Product package and number
2-5) Process of making - aquarium silicone used to glue lenses. Weird lever thing is basically weight needed to keep goggles flat and leveled while glue was drying.
It is OK to glue lenses outside goggles using one drop of glass glue (super glue kind) but field of vision is compromised. Same sharpness but less view.
Mounting lenses inside, flat side towards eye gives better field of vision.
I have them so close I touch them while blinking but I am fine with it.

Attachments

• P1070884.JPG
    P1070884.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 352
  • P1070812.JPG
    P1070812.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 359
  • P1070799.JPG
    P1070799.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 389
  • P1070808.JPG
    P1070808.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 349
  • P1070802.JPG
    P1070802.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Reactions: fpernett
3) Underwater pic. - it is not how it looks underwater when Your eye looks thru it (obviously camera is in housing) It is only to show how strong magnification on the lens is

Pic. 4&5) Final product - after many experiments with different goggles I went with cheapest ($9) Speedos because of their comfort and short distance from the eye.

Good luck and enjoy making and diving with them, it's fun!

Attachments

• P1070890.JPG
    P1070890.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 374
  • P1070887.JPG
    P1070887.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 391
  • SANY0145.JPG
    SANY0145.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 344
  • P1070804.JPG
    P1070804.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 352
  • P1070803.JPG
    P1070803.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Nostres, did glue the lens only to one edge of the goggles?

Q

First goggles yes, but I didn't like it. Last goggles have silicone at two edges.
They are the black Speedos and You can see them at the last two pictures.
This silicone is plenty strong to hold lenses yet quite easy and mess-free in case You want to remove lenses in the future (for example when You scratch goggles a lot)

Hi,

Nice thread - thanks!

The first picture is from a shipment from edmundoptics and not anchoroptics. Are they the same or did you post the wrong picture?

Do you happen to have a name and picture of the goggle (last two pictures) without the neoprene glued to it? Did you have to modify the goggle before you could glue that on (assuming it was not there to begin with)?

You put that neoprene there for warmth or to have the goggle right for the focal length of the lens?

cheers
Eric

I think Anchor and Edmunds must be sister companies, I placed order at Anchor and it came from Edmunds.

Speedos have black neoprene out of the box, no modifications. I just bought the cheapest goggles at the sporting goods store for two reasons - comfort and short distance from eye to lens (bigger field of vision)

And cheap goggles turned out to be the best for the job of all kinds of goggles I tried including expensive Orca's.

Hi Eric, Just a couple of quick questions re Trygons goggles if I may. I'm still interested in getting some, do the lenses glue onto the outside of the goggle, or are they secured by cutting holes into the front ? The pictures on Trygons website are not very clear.
Secondly, can you explain what you're not happy with, is it the lenses, or the general set up & construction of the frame ?

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I don't know if you remember but I met you last year at the long night of apnea in Berlin, I'm competing at the RMC this year on the 2nd Oct, hoping for 150+ DNF, fingers crossed ! Are you going ?

Hi Dave,

Yes I remember. And yes, I'm going to Wiesbaden as well. I hope you'll be able do 150+.

In the first batch of Trygons goggles the lenses were glued on the transparent goggle with silicone (the stuff used by aquarium builders). For the 2nd (latest) batch of goggles they drilled holes in the goggle and glued the lenses in.

I think the goggles are too close to the eyes for most people. Some people can't even open or close their eyes. With the lenses so close to the eyes the field of view is obviously excellent. Unfortunately it's a blurry field because of the bad quality lenses and because the focus distance of the lenses is much more (2cm instead of 0.2cm).

For people that are able to open and close their eyes I feel the comfort is pretty good and after getting used to them probably many people will prefer them (comfort-wise) over regular (fluid-)goggles.

After contact with Trygons they are very responsive and willing to think outside the box to come to a solution that will satisfy the costumers.

Eric

Hi there !

Congrats for your successful experiment, and thank you for sharing this info ! I am thinking about doing the same thing but first I would like to know how good is the field of vision and is it`s possible to go spearfishing with a home made fluid goggle like the one you`ve maid !
Thanks for your time !

Regards

I just tried the Trygons fluid goggles that are made to measure. And wow what an improvement over regular fluid goggles. For one thing theyre more like a pair of spectacles so theres no need to fill/empty the eye-sockets.

Then the view! i can honestly read underwater with these on.

But easily the best thing is the price- at 98 Euro they are much cheaper than the competition...

I was impressed.

Last edited:
Hi Nostress,

Can you please conduct a field of vision test in a pool of your 20mm fluid goggles?

I did several with some of the well known masks and would like how your fluid DYS goggles compare?

MaskersB.jpg

(Measured standing 2m from the pool wall, on the T )

1) What are the Field of vision horizontal and vertical angles you achieve?

2) What is the range of sharp vision distances you get?
depth of field - Can you focus on close by as well as to far away?

Thanks,

Kars

Last edited:
@qai4321:

I just tried the Trygons fluid goggles that are made to measure. And wow what an improvement over regular fluid goggles. For one thing theyre more like a pair of spectacles so theres no need to fill/empty the eye-sockets.

Then the view! i can honestly read underwater with these on.

But easily the best thing is the price- at 55 Euro they are almost half the price of the competition...

I was impressed.

Glad to hear they worked for you. Could you tell me about the lenses: what diameter are they and are they made out of glass or polycarbonate (less clear).

Are the lenses glued on the outside or fixed through a drilled hole?

Thank you and good luck with them

@Kars:
I'll take some picture with underwater cams and goggles I have prepared, would be a nice reference too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
Image102.jpg
Hi Kars,

The lenses are 15mm diameter and about 3mm thick. The lenses are glued into a hole cut out of the plastic housing. Its actually a very simplistic design.

So far i have only tested them in the pool, there was no comparison with anything else ive tried. Next time i go into the ocean ill have a better idea of how effective they are in the real world.

Attachments

• Image102.jpg
    Image102.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 419
These rails might be the reason why you are much happier with your goggles than some of us.
Your goggles will be more comfortable, no eyes/eye lashes touching the goggle and the focus distance of the lens will be better met.
I hope to get my hands on one of these new (Mark3?) ones and try for myself.

well the guys at Trygons tell me theres a (mark 4) in the works with a stronger lens. Price is set to go up for those by 40 euro though.

Hi all,

If I got this thread correctly, the adequate lens is (dia)20mm PCX with focal length around 20mm, material SF11(n=1.785).
Is this correct?

I was just wandering, has anyone tried with Fresnel lens?
It is much thinner, thus a much greater angle of view. The drawback would be the image quality due to the edge distortions.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens]Fresnel lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Regards,
Zmago

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT