• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DNF - very slow, 25m/34sec how to change it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Justyna

Apr 16, 2016
Hi all,

Perhaps you have some ideas what is wrong with my dnf ;)

I train since 2014. However since 6 months I do it regularly (only dnf + dry static).

From the beginning my speed is the biggest challenge for me. DNF 25m takes at least 33sec + turn back = 35sec. I improved a bit technique of legs strokes (It took 5 months), I reduced a bit moves, I added weight to neck (3kg now).

But my moves are still powerless and low efficient (especially arms) and 25m takes too long.

The worst and strangest thing is that even if I focus on "swim faster now", I tried to speed up, underwater I feel that I swim faster, the result is.... the same!

I am sure my position is still bad in water ( not perfect horizontal).

I pushed back from wall with power (in my opinion) but when I check it on video, I am able to glide max 2-4m!

So, 100m takes at least 2:16 sec (my record is 2:03, I reached it only once - I do not know how I did it)

I started streching (arms) and gym excersices (arms + legs).

Please check movies:

1. 75m, very very very slow, but first time 8 strokes/ 25m, comfort 100%, not tired

2. 100m, very very very slow and tired, first competion, no regular training before

3. 112m, slow, very tired

4. Underwater, 106m, first and last time in my freediver life I was so fast ;)

Thanks for your time and sugestions.

Best regards,
Justyna

Cześć Justyno,

look at your Zlin Cup swim 2:05-2:06 -> you are kicking and your head and arms are working as a brake (probably that's also the reason of your poor glide after turn). You shall be in finswimmer positon when you kick and after turn, means head lower, arms higher. Look at the position of Goran () after turn (1:08) and during the kick (1:19).
Bad positon of arms during the glide phase = 1st reason of bad arms move. See from which position you start the arms move (2:06) and compare once again with Goran (1:21-1:23). Improve that and you will reach 125 easily :). You are welcome to join me and Hania for training in Wrocław!

there is a lot of work to be done. Just on this 2 screens there are 3 major errors that contribute to Your speed.

SrgRw0v.png

1st picture. Your hands are too low and head is too high..You are slowing yourself down all the time and have short glides because of it.

2nd picture (3 mistakes)
1) Your leg-kick happen before Your arms are extended fully thus You kick and slow down while hands recovery phase is being finished. You should first focus on right timing. Start Your hands recovery and actually when they are close to position on screen 2, that's the moment when Your legs should start to go back (maybe a tiny bit earlier). On a screen your legs are ready to kick while your hands are in the middle of the way up :)
2) when You kick, Your knees should be closer than ankles to center of Your body. You do the opposite thing. This reduce surface of your kick considerably and also power, that's why you almost have no glide after each kick and you even kick more often than you should.
3) It's hard to explain but I will try. What You do ? You bring your ankles almost to your bum, also your hips are not pushed forward.
You put knees down, hips up and with error from previous point, your leg-kick has not much thrust.
You should push Your hips forward while leg-kick and especially during glide, this way your knees would be closer to the body line.

There is more things to improve but until this mistakes are not corrected there is no point in bringing them cause your technique will change as your correct the above points..Work at 1 thing at the time anyway :) Good luck

Cześć ;))))!

Thank you very much for advices. I will put atention to hide my head first. Too much bad habits from past.

Justyno,

it looks that you have necessary mobility in shoulders -> during this short swim your finswimmer position is much closer to correct one

just try to point your hands downwards. look at Alex (0:16-0:18, 1st lane)

BTW - it seems that Mateusz just started a Freediving School. Great place to learn DNF technique from World Champion and WR holder... :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT