• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do Samba's have a pattern?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
I had my 2nd ever in-water samba about 10 days ago (swam too far before the dive, dived too soon after the swim, stayed down too long etc.) I knew I was in trouble on the way up, then thought I was ok after surfacing. Shortly after that, though, I realized that my right leg was doing a rather vigorous cancan on its own accord.

This was similar to my first samba (same deal -- right leg started doing its own thing). One of my buddies was having samba troubles a while back and, again, he had a very consistent pattern (temporary loss of control of his trunk and diaphragm).

Is there a tendency for sambas tend to occur in patters (i.e. will person A tend to samba one way more often than not and person B samba another way more often than not)?

Another observation is that after the samba, my breathholds seemed to get a lot easier. This was an accidental discovery since I basically ended my day of diving after the incident, but did shallow dive on the way in. It was done with no breathup while I was slightly winded from a swim and in pretty strong currents and it was still one of the longer dives of the day.

The exact type of loss of motor control depends on a host of complicated variables in your nervous system. While no one can predict what will happen to you, if your right leg tends to twitch, that may occur consistently. People who are dehydrated, too warm, have low blood pressure, or imbalanced electrolytes are more likely to samba/bo. Overventilating is also a main factor.

After the samba, once you have taken quite a while to recover, your dives are good because the samba induces a full 'reflex', I wouldn't necessary call it a diving reflex, but a hypoxic reflex, which is similar to the dive reflex. That's why I did my static pb after having a samba in my warm up. However, most people say to stop apnea after having a samba. Everyone agrees that a long recovery is needed after the samba, but beyond that people disagree as to what to do or not to do.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Can dehydration increase your chances of Samba/BO?

Is this why this has happened to me after a long training session the night prior to a morning dive?

Thanks.

Dehydration is a major factor in samba/bo, and a long diving session dehydrates you so much that it is not possible to rehydrate by the next day. Personally I believe that even using superhydration methods (i.e. ORT, glycerol etc...), it is not possible to enter the water in peak shape except every other day, taking one day off between diving days to recharge and rehydrate. This is why I invented the ATRC test to gauge your BP/hydration level before entering the water.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

ATRC test....

---You got my attention, Eric!
Tell us more about the ATRC test (unless it's on a thread/topic already....tell me to use the search, and I'll do so)
Thank you !
OceanSwimmer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT