• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do you dive solo?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do you dive solo?

• No, never

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Yes, in the past until I learned about the dangers

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Yes, but with depth/time restrictions

Votes: 70 53.8%
  • Yes, regularly

Votes: 36 27.7%

• Total voters
Re: Re: BIASED SAMPLE

Originally posted by Adrian
Paul,
The problem with dead divers is that they don't have much to say. Maybe they are keeping quiet to see if we live and learn from their mistakes.

Adrian

Absolutely right, but how can we learn if we don't know what happened?

:D I think you guys missed the point :head

I did a search in Canada and we have statistics for drownings and the various reasons. There was a category called "other/unknown" when referring to recreational drownings. If we could discover the estimated number of spearfishermen/freedivers, then it is possible to draw a reasonable estimate of how many deaths may have been due to these activities and then estimate the amount due to soloing.

I wonder if some of the other countries have more specific stats? Anybody?

Maybe a good point, "I sleep under water"

Statistics have destroid many hobies and other nice things in life.
And many are wrong... maybe even '46.372%'

Statistics are based on words, words choosen in the question, in the explination etc. There are manny ways one can read and awnser.
I usually find it very hard to fill in a form because I see different meanings. What do I read?did the questioner meant to ask? How would an avarage joe understand this question?

This shouldn't offcause stop us in seaking for safer ways to freedive. I also see a advantage of more freedivers, they may funtion as an extra lifeguard in publick places, educate children about the dangers, comfort and rescue near/drowned people.

Kars.

I dive alone more often than not. I want a spotter I'm comfortable with for deep dives, though, or I won't do them.
Mark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT