• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does thinking use more oxygen?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
According to the literature mental tasks do not increase brain oxygen consumption much. However, oxygen use by the brain is markedly decreased during deep sleep (by 25%) and general anaesthesia (by 50%). So increasing brain activity above the basal level likely has only minimal effect. However, decreasing its activity below that level is definitely worth trying.

And similarly... The more you Freedive and hold your breath for a LONG time, the more brain cells you lose, the better you get.

A virtuous cycle!!

:D

Reactions: HydroApprentice
this thread was insightful, i think everyone agrees that free diving should be approached with a calm mind.

I believe thinking does affect your performance, but not by physically shortening your breath. It's the self doubt that leads you to surface early. Your brain can easily trick yourself into thinking you may not have sufficient air/ability to stay down long enough. This can easily be countered by reassuring yourself with memories of your training. The readings of your dive watch, or covering distances in the pool.

For example, I was doing a shallow dive of 30 feet, and I felt the irk to breathe at the beginning, I found that very odd because I know I can cover 90+ feet distances in my training. Once i reassured myself, the irk went away.

I also feel in the ocean I have a longer dive time because I am distracted by all the kelp and cool fauna. I don't focus on my breath hold so much and I slip into that meditative state a lot easier.

In the ocean one also more distracted, easy to slip into meditative state but also into blackout...

Definitely agree Hlanger, however I've never pushed myself too hard while diving. I keep a close eye on my watch. I have a breath hold max record, if during a session I pass the record and I'm feeling confident and good. I push 5 more seconds. then start ascending.

Im not a professional but I do what i learned in a course in mindfullness. I simply focus on a "trip through a blackwhole". A bit like the way it looks like when they use the hyperspeed thingy in starwars / startreck ^_^ Work pritty good for me =)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT