• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

don't use balloons or inflatables for CO2 training!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have a theory.

I read in an article about lung cancer vaccines that some individuals are far more sensitive to smoke than others. Perhaps Claude and Pierre won the genetic lottery so to speak?

In any case, I certainly didn't. My body has always been hyper-sensitive to everything (stuff that everyone else I know can tolerate always gets me sick, for instance).

With the greatest respect, I'd say you mind has always been hyper-sensitive not your body ;)

As a previous smoking athlete myself (international martial arts - well still an athlete, just don't smoke so much...) I can tell you it aint genes, its a lot of damn hard work.... you need to work harder than non smokers and you are more susceptible to low immune related sickness espcially respiratory so we need to be MORE healthy than the non smokers.

Its a mental approach, that separates elite athletes from regular athletes, not genes.

Don't read so much. You tend to read one article here or there and serveral non related topics that suit the position you want to take.... This is very superficial research at best...

As a professional researcher myself I can tell you that in order to qualify your position above about genetics being related to smoking in sport you would need to review about 200+ scientific papers that have been peer reviewed by recognised establishments and published and only then without your medical background you would only be qualified to repeat what you have read not to make assumptions, and even then your assumption would need to be peer reviewed itself ;)

For arguments sake please post your article.
Basically try not to post heresay...

Last edited:
Thank you for the info bobdonny.

I will go dig up that article.

What type of research do you do?

Cognitive load balancing of M-learning in a transient environment particularly, but anything with HCI / usability generally.

Is it ok if I PM you to ask questions about various topics? (I don't want to de-rail this thread.)

Sure, but I reckon the thread is well derailed already.
You can get the most benefit from just reading the title ;)

It seems you can read anything about anything if you look hard enough - even on db!
PS I write cryptic crossword questions!

Got back from the doctor. I definately have temporary lung damage. Until the x-rays they don't know if it's permanent or not.

Was given 2 inhalers and a cocktail of pills. My orders: no breathholding, no breathing swimming pool fumes, no blowing up balloons or inflatables, no balloons or inflatables in the bedroom. I asked about natural remedies to add on top of this, and was given a list of foods to avoid.

The funny thing is, the breathing test and blood oxygen test came back normal. Maybe it's because of freediving. (Normally people with my condition have pain, constriction, and shortness of breath, I have no shortness of breath even when the constriction is present and the pain is horrible)

There are some great freedivers in Florida, what part are you in? You do like freediving too, right?

Arghhh. Cut back my green tea consumption like he told me to. (Slight possibility of acid reflux) Now my chronic pain is back...

(The only thing that kills my splitting headaches is 4 glasses of green tea. In the past doctors have thrown every prescription painkiller on the market at me, with no success.)

Busy clearing all the balloons out of my room.

Bobdonny if you don't mind me asking why do you smoke anyway?

I am in no way trying to condemn you. It's your body, your free will, go ahead and mutilate yourself however you please. I am just genuinely curious to know why anyone who freedives would want to smoke.

Bobdonny if you don't mind me asking why do you smoke anyway?

I am in no way trying to condemn you. It's your body, your free will, go ahead and mutilate yourself however you please. I am just genuinely curious to know why anyone who freedives would want to smoke.

Cos its freakin awesome !! ;)

Have you ever tried an electronic cigarette? You get all of the awesomeness, without the damage :)

If it's blowing out a thick cloud you enjoy, use VG (not the usual PG, which produces thin clouds). And if its pleasuring your lungs you enjoy, there are various formulas for different sensations.

I enjoy watching my friends vape. And someday when my lungs are completely healed I want to try it myself.

P.S. Many people think "that's totally lame, it's just not the same as the real thing". Then they try it...and find that they enjoy it more than smoking! So, don't knock it until you've tried it.

Have you ever tried an electronic cigarette? You get all of the awesomeness, without the damage :)

I don't think so, anyone who tells you that is a liar, and you'd be daft to use such a product without a very strong reason...like being addicted to nicotine!

Seriously smoking is stupid, but I enjoy it. When I began to become serious about my sport I gave up smoking with the caveat that I smoke the odd times at closing ceremony of competitions and seminars. This is acceptable a there is a lot of smoking in my sport (specifically amongst the Japanese who dominate). Plus its good motivation.

So I went from smoking 20 a day to smoking 1 or 2 every few months... like I said... its a mental thing, there is no need for any alternative remedies if you have a strong mind!

I train 4/3 times a week (for 2 hours) and I try to run once or twice a week and I try to freedive / spear 4+ times a week. My lungs are pretty good but when I have a few cigarettes it take a week min to recover to my normal level. I would never dream of putting anything else in my lungs... especially not an e-cig or any other vape item... but thats just me.

Ok you are saying that e-cigs are bad...meanwhile here you are smoking, which is definately MUCH worse, hands down...

I would be using plain VG, no nicotine added.

Great job on cutting back, nice progress. I still think you should try vaping though. Better to vape occasionally than to smoke occasionally. (Unless, of course, you have a strong enough mind to cut out both.)

As for really enjoying smoking, well, Is it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it worth it?
I think so. YMMV

I do lots of other things that are bad for me occasionally, like drinking alcohol, eating sugar, driving fast, but I think most things in moderation is acceptable - except posting rubbish on the net.... maybe thats not so acceptable and can make a person look nuts ;)

You obviously love smoking more than you love freediving. But, each to their own.

I personally think freediving is WAY more awesome than smoking ;)

You obviously love smoking more than you love freediving. But, each to their own.

I personally think freediving is WAY more awesome than smoking ;)

Maybe,

U did say however you haven't dived since last march?
I try to dive a few times a week, like you say, each to their own ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT