• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Pav,

Just a little tip from the West Wales beaches....so the information may be relevant...similar beaches, fish etc. I have a fair bit of luck with mainly flounder but occasionaly place and the odd small turbot. Find a sandy beach with lots of long gullies ( running up and down the beach) that are sand filled but are partially or fully exposed at low tide. The surf will have to have been totally flat for a few days or you wont see a thing. The next thing your looking for is for the rocks between the strips of sand to be covered in seaweed.....particularly fucus serratus (brown weed with serated edges and no bladders ...google image it if your not sure). This should give you some zone or area on the beach to start your search. Now when the water gets to about 5ft deep over the gullies......less over the rocks, start your search by looking for the fucus serratus and in particular areas where the weed sticks directly out of the sand (as if the sand has moved and covered the gully margin or the actual outcrop of rock)
I always find my flatties right at the base of this weed, and sometimes right in it. They are often easy to spot because of their light apearance against the dark weed although its frequently only a tail seen sticking out.
Its also prudent to check any margins sand where there is a change from clean to broken sand or boulders.

In both these situations follow the previous advice re shooting or not. Flatties can often be simply spiked and a hand put underneath. If you do shoot make sure ther are no rocks direcly under the weed and make sure you get a good shot through the head or behind the gills.

I still have trouble killing flatties though, so if anyone has a quick effective and fool proof method i love to know.....
ben

Reactions: Pav and Mr. X
OH Yes, but this wind must have blown it out - unless your plan is to hire a jet to the Maldives for the evening?

Yep I'm up for it Friday guys..... I like flyflickers plan best so far .... The sea at Weymouth and Prseton looked like mud this morning, so eager to here your plan Alomost......

They are South westerlys. Whats wrong with the fleet? Water viz might be lower than a flatfish's scroat but its never stoped us before! I have been looking at low tide where the banks are.. Not much of a plan but good exercise.

Not much going on. Portland is prety much blow out, west side is still rough and the east still has a long swell. The fleet was a very quick drift dive with 1-2m viz but with few fish. Sandsfoot was the same but with the added bonus of huge amounts of weed at high tide that clung to everything. The water is warming up and its sunny so its got to get better soon. Just need this wind to drop and we are in BBQ season again..

Hope to get in either Good Friday or Easter Monday.Got some new kit i need to bed in scratch,damage,loose as i normally do:head rofl rofl rofl

glowworm said:
Hope to get in either Good Friday or Easter Monday.Got some new kit i need to bed in scratch,damage,loose as i normally do:head rofl rofl rofl

Did you manage to secure the gun from France or do you need me to translate anything else ??

Mio Palmo in france were brilliant and emailed me a completed order form so all i had to do was fax it back with payment details.New gun should be here this week.:inlove :inlove

Portland Harbour this morning, vis was fine but the wind picked up making things worse. I didn’t see any fish, except for a lump sucker, which as you can see from the photo is only just a fish!

I hear Portland is looking up any news from the rock?

Last edited:
Nice lumpsucker! Took the Burglar out for a spin. Had a quick dip and saw a good lobby which we couldn't extract! Saw a couple of other spearo's. They had a very good lobster and a flatty...

There is something going on around the Island.. When you see it you will understand. Wow.

Does anybody else in dorset train regulary or go to the gym.The new season is now upon us and i feel rather out of shape.I have joined a couple of gyms before but going on my own was a bad experience.

What do the rest of you do?

glowworm said:
What do the rest of you do?

I tend to eat a fair amount of cake and not train at all! I recon you should think about either swimming or cycling...both good all round exercise! Some mornings I even cycle to the bakery!!!

Good luck for the forthcoming season...should be bass a go go!

Cycle to the bakery...hmmm....that should do it as the home cooking seems to be my downfall.Well that and jaffa cakes and custard creams rofl rofl

I just fish all year round....I think that UK spearo and flyfliker will agree with that regime!

I also ski (machine) 10k most mornings. There is a real ale festival on at the George Pub Portland this April if anybody fancyed a social half or ten.. We can talk about training and fish etc whilst getting A-soled!

I'm impressed Almost, unless you have the machine set in down hill mode!!

Glowworm, don't be fooled by fears cake eating routine, he's as fit as an ox and can get up the cliffs of Portland without breaking sweat!

Me, I run/jog/stumble 3 miles daily or have 45 mins in the gym, except for Wednesdays when I need to save all my energy to try and whoop Fear at badminton!

Reactions: naiad
I get to the gym about 3 times a week, do some cardio, lift weights and put in 1/2 an hour in the pool as well as cycling to work. I think the best spearfishing training must be getting out and getting on with it though! Lugging kit from the car and back, a couple of hours in the 'tropical' 10 degree water, repeatedly cocking the gun, swimming against currents and breath holding all sounds much more strenuous than watching Neighbours on the cross trainer! Maybe there is potential for a Spearo Boot Camp - burn 6000 calories a day and only eat what you catch!
One thing i did find useful was buying a PowerLung off ebay last year. Its the same model the England Rugby team used in their world cup winning year and i picked it up for £20 (new) rather than the £80 odd it should have been. Using it (at best) twice a day (not at weekends) has made a noticable improvement to my lung capacity and breath hold time although i fully except that holding your beath in your beadroom is a different kettle of fish to doing it at 10m underwater!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…