• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
glowworm said:
Does anybody else in dorset train regulary or go to the gym.The new season is now upon us and i feel rather out of shape.I have joined a couple of gyms before but going on my own was a bad experience.

What do the rest of you do?

I left the remote next to the TV yesterday and I had to get up to fetch it before I could change channel.:friday

I've been asking a few blokes in the shop if they work out. I've been getting some funny looks and I've been punched three times. :crutch Does anybody know why this is happening?

I drink Magners, smoke roll-ups and eat vast amounts of curry; that is my ideal training regime but I don't think it appears in Umberto Pelizzaris manual.

Buster Lung don't ask questions like that with your hand on your hip :naughty rofl

I do need to exercise more and just wanted to see if anybody else does locally but in retrospect i should have kept quite...

In for a short dip today.Vis was not too bad and D3 indicated water was 9 deg,only saw a flounder some wrasse but plenty of bait fish.Just nice to be back in the water.

Yep certainly did fire new gun.Fantastic power which should stop a few fish this year.Can't really say anymore than that as i need to get used to it before i make any claims.Hopefully going to venture out on monday with 1 shot to a deeper mark.

check out you and your new gear! We're off for a look around tomorrow, glad to hear that you have seen some bait fish...good sign! I'm positively excited! Catch (being positive!) report will be posted soon...

er...didn't catch owt but saw some interesting bits including a good thornback ray. May I congratulate UK Spearo on his first bass of the season!

fearthespear said:
er...didn't catch owt but saw some interesting bits including a good thornback ray. May I congratulate UK Spearo on his first bass of the season!

Off down West tomorrow. I wasn't expecting to see bass this early buy that sounds encouraging. Where in the UK did UK Spearo catch the bass ?

Fear, as I kept trying to tell you, there's nothing interesting around that area!! Did you see all the smelt & white bait?

Did the Burglar behave her self??

fearthespear said:

Rumour has it that it was 5lb. I need photographic evidence.

I'm letting you lot wear yourselves out, then I'm going to attack on a motorised longboard with sonar 15lb bass calls:martial

Can you make it to Guernsey on one of those? 'Fraid you'd need to catch 2 fish for 15lb though.:t

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=590986&postcount=238"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey 2006[/ame]

Dave

Feck! She's a beaut...should shake a few spearos into action! We ended up fiddling around in the harbour. I tried looking in some deeper water for some large flats but nothing showed itself. Itching to get back in already...must get some neoprene socks! We shot over to Portland Oceaneering for a quick chat (and a peek at the new vid) which will have any spearo drooling in seconds - amazing! Thanks for the coffee boys, warmed the feet up a treat.

Flyflicker - burglar felt somewhat empty with two! You'll have to wait for a couple of weeks for the next trip, engine in for first service. Seems you don't need a boat to catch bass in Dorset anyhow!:head

Wow everybody seems to have been busy.Anybody going in on monday morning?The spearfishing dvd came from Pav and is very good.

Went for an early dip this morning.My plan to dive a reef was rubbish and i only saw some small wrasse and a baby edible crab.Swam against the tide to the smaller shallow reef and managed to spook two seperate bass in jap weed.Both were bigger than any i saw last year.Well at least i know that they are about.Spent an hour and a half in this morning so a good work out none the less.

The Viz is fantastic around Portland. I went out for Wrasse for my pots got a beauty.

10c 8-15m viz depending on the tide.

Viz was cracking East side of Portland at a good 10m+ Water temp varied between 9 - 10 degrees. Saw lots of bait fish, crabs, a good sized shoal of Mullet (200+) that decided to surround me!? (If my gun was working they wouldn't have dared :naughty )... Oh and most importantly two bass of decent size. Wishbone snapped on first load... Doh! :head Anyway was a cracking season warm up and had at least a good 2 hours play (in a 3mm suit) and will post a few photos if worth anything when dive buddy sends them (will send them all to you Almostafish as promised over todays :friday )...

Reactions: Almostafish
2nd hand report (sounds like there are some good first hand accounts already this week though): A friend was scuba diving 3 areas (pos. more) around Portland at the weekend (Chesil, Harbour, Baraclava), reported very good viz (c. 8m) although he didn't see much in the way of fish (Wrasse & Dog fish). Temp. lower than normal, I think he said c. 8 degrees (not sure what depth he was at tho').

Nice Bass UK Spearo .

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…