• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was thinking about using a Glowworm with one of those Eveready Lantern batteries clipped on!!rofl rofl Just got to catch him out at night! rofl

I would think Southampton, Portmouth, Exeter & Plymouth (& Swansea, Aber, Bangor?) might be decent spearo Uni's! (No Cornish University that I can think of...pity, I bet that would be popular -- might provide some revenue in the off-season too:hmm). rofl

Come to think of it, aren't there a load of extraordinarily pleasant Universities in your native Cal.? (CalTech, Berkely, UCSD, Davies, ....) Surely some are near the sea?

Re. Headtorches, UK mini/micro 40(?) about 10 pounds off ebay -- I got 2 there (by accident -- but the way I am loosing gear at the moment...). It won't cut through the particle matter I have been seeing though. Neither will the much more powerful Omer Moonlight Pro.

Last edited:

Try contacting London Club at www.spearfishing.org

I think some members might spear in your area or nearby

A couple of people told me that fish stop feeding in Winter (I have to point out that my speargun really doesn't care about that). Have no idea if it is true (or a gross generalization) -- I am sure some people on the forum (maybe Flyfisher?) would know.

Some fish eat less but unless a creature is hibernating you need food to power the system so you can't just stop. Some species, like Bass, over-winter in the Western approaches getting ready to spawn which is why you rarely catch them around UK mainland in winter

The latter months of the year October, November, December and the beginning, March, April and May are when we had our biggest bass last year (and the year before). Its also when we had the best viz, especially from October onwards. That said the beginning of the year can be badly affected by May Bloom (plankton)

I think we might need more than a lantern battery Surfinspearrofl rofl

As for the lack of fish and feeding during winter months,fish do move into deeper warmer water when it gets cold.Most fish also spawn in the earley part of the year so maybe we should leave them to get on with it and ensure future stocks.

Just my two pence worth

Were you out at sea (boat or Isle of Portland) - or shore diving from the main coast? I read somewhere that Bass head to the South West in winter ...doesn't sound that plausible (all the bass hanging out around Lands End?)...but perhaps there is a grain of truth in it(?).

Certainly are. I've applied to UC Santa Cruz for my Ph.D. for next fall . . . needless to say, I don't like the department there that much, but I'd hit it up for 6 or 7 good years of nor cal spearing! The water conditions are generally much better up there, I think, and the kelp forests . . . the majestic kelp forests. To me, that cold-water diving is even more incredible than a lot of the tropical places.

I'm hearing that...if the anglers are still having them, they are still feeding! If my cold gets better i'm deffo going to hunt around Portland for some late season doubles (cough!)

You will be without me - my man flu is still very active, I have gone through the worst, but my whole head is blocked with unmentionable horribly stuff!!

I will just have to wait at the top, with a flask of hot soup for you all! Unless you want a Thai?

That'll be lung butter then! Something spicy would certainly clear the tubes!! I'll let you know anyway...

Most of my spearing is done between Eastbourne and Portland, with a lot being done of shoreham and worthing, we do use a boat but nearly all of our marks are within swimming distance. Using an boat gives us the advantage of being able to fish a number of marks which are sometimes several miles apart.
I also have the great advantage of diving with an extremely experienced dive buddy who has been British champion a number of times. We do fish marks that are 7-8 miles off -shore but not very often

I should explain that Flattie Basher and KWM are both me, just using different computers

Kev

fearthespear said:
I'm hearing that...if the anglers are still having them, they are still feeding! If my cold gets better i'm deffo going to hunt around Portland for some late season doubles (cough!)

I share your frustration Fearo! I have had a sinus problem since the end of last summer with massive bubbles of explosive migraine around my left eye. And then there's the colds that my kid keeps bringing home from nursery:head :rcard

P.S. Are you one half of the Ben and Will bass killing parnership from the spearo BBQ? Just seeing some of your posted pics...
If you are...I seem to remember you taking a few pics at the event last year and out on the duck. Do you have them to post?

Cheers

dah...cover has been blown!

You are so right, I did take piccies and I haven't got a clue what happened to them??!! Could have been Willies camera. I'll give him a bell to see if he has them!

back soon....

The Old Man, Ed And Pete went in tonight over here in Guernsey. Think the total was 6 sole, 6 red mullet and 1 small turbot. Not bad for January. Buy yourself some torches boys. Don't say I didn't tell you.
Pictures and story on Guernsey 2006 tomorrow.
Regards
Dave

Right that's it night diving it is then.Thought i could wait until spring but i've just reviewed Surfinspear and Fearthespears galleries and good summer memories have all come flodding back.Now i need fresh fish and spearo BBQ's again.(have been buying fish since stocks run out:naughty )Anybody got any plans or fancies giving it a go!!!!

Nice picture of the sunset from the boat Surfinspear that looks like the figure of a not so glowing Glowworm in the picture.rofl rofl

Myself and a mate have mulled over night spearing many a time but it has never come to fruition! I'm well up for trying it this year, listening to the Gurnsey massive it would seem that we're missing some potentially superb sessions! I would be looking for very good viz initially even if its just to stop myself getting the spooks!!

Oh yes good vis is a must.Don't want anybody shooting a 150lb glowworm:crutch One spot springs to mind straight away with not too far to walk from the car and a traditional sole mark.It was crammed full of baby red mullet aswell in the summer so hopefully they have stuck around growing into dinner

Hi guys
Hope you don't mind me visiting your thread, my brother (old man Dave) suggested i have a look as you have a similar site to ours. I've also got a message for Mr X if you are still looking for a small boat, check out PORTA BOAT on the web. I've had one for about 5 years (amongst others) defiantly had some fun in that thing! Check it out you will be amazed. anyhow must go Dave's gone night diving so I'm off to take some more pics

Reactions: Mr. X
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…