• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
foxfish said:
Hi guys
Hope you don't mind me visiting your thread, my brother (old man Dave) suggested i have a look as you have a similar site to ours. I've also got a message for Mr X if you are still looking for a small boat, check out PORTA BOAT on the web. I've had one for about 5 years (amongst others) defiantly had some fun in that thing! Check it out you will be amazed. anyhow must go Dave's gone night diving so I'm off to take some more pics
Thanks for that foxfish! I will add it to my boat thread http://forums.deeperblue.net/forum53/thread64567.html (feel free to add your thoughts & experiences).

Got the spearing bug bad now so who's up for a night dive.Just need to get a torch and some suitable vis.

Can't let the Guernsey boy's have all the fish and funrofl

glowworm said:
Got the spearing bug bad now so who's up for a night dive.Just need to get a torch and some suitable vis.

i'm up for it Glowworm...

I also had a look at Pota-bote...looks a little "Blue Peter" to me. How about an aluminium number?

I'll pop into Portland Oceaneering this week to pick up a torch then it's all systems go :) :)

A boat for spearfishing would be fantastic and i do have a family member with a small wooden fishing boat who has offered to take me to certain spots.Boats just seem to be money pits unless several people all chip in.

glowworm said:

Is the viz. good enough? It has been awful the last two times I have been down -- or are some locations better than others? (I think Guernsey is more like Cornwall than Dorset for viz -- some of them use 100+cm guns).

BTW anybody go to the North coast of Devon/Cornwall spearing. I love N. Cornwall & spent several hols. climbing & attempting to surf there -- but the sea is rougher & probably colder there.

Last edited:
The vis isn't that bad all the time depends on the wind.Anything on a southerly will kill the vis in most places.My boss has a caravan in a place called Port Geverne on the north devon cost so i was going to try it this summer.

Have a look at Surfinspear's gallery to see some good underwater shots he took during a spearfishing trip last year.

Walked round the Nothe, Weymouth today and the vis was amazing (no sign of any washed up weight belts, Mr X) and I did hear the sea temp is down to 8c - so brrrrr

The Nothe is a good spot for a night dive and not too far from where i had in mind.
8 degrees then......well i hope a 5mm suit will be ok.

Myself and the gang have had some top viz in Cornwall. in general it is much better than Dorset. A 90/100 would be an advantage over a 75 (my normal choice). We have speared Lands End, Prussia Cove etc. I have a couple of vids showing the viz but don't know how to stick them on here!

A good mate of mine spears/fishes N. Devon regularly, especially Hartland (he was fortunate enough to be studying at Plymouth) and has seen a huge amount of bass...

It is good to investigate new ground but, in my opinion, it is better to get to know your fave spots inside out.

I've checked surfs' gallery...nice!

glowworm said:
The vis isn't that bad all the time depends on the wind.Anything on a southerly will kill the vis in most places.My boss has a caravan in a place called Port Geverne on the north devon cost so i was going to try it this summer.

Have a look at Surfinspear's gallery to see some good underwater shots he took during a spearfishing trip last year.
I know the place -- right next door to Port Isaac (of Dr. Martin TV show fame). I love it down there. There is fantastic little beach just north of Tintagel too -- but a long walk in across fields & then a steep cliff path keeps most away.

flyflicker said:
Walked round the Nothe, Weymouth today and the vis was amazing (no sign of any washed up weight belts, Mr X) and I did hear the sea temp is down to 8c - so brrrrr
Appreciate you looking Flyflicker. It has 4 bright yellow weights so I figure it will show at some point. There is a super low tide due at the end of Feb., might be worth a look then. Typical, the week after I decide to give it a rest for this month and the viz. is good!:duh I think the wetsuit suit is up to it -- I plan to dive in February!

Well John, Ben had my £25 for the miniQ torch already and it looks like I might have to come more west as the dredgers are really kicking around Bournemouth now for the Southbourne sand replenishment...got an invite to shoot the last of my farmer mates pheasants next weekend but after that I will have eaten lots of carrots for the dark and I'll be sharp!:vangry

Nice to see your up for a night dive Surfinspear.Did you say shooting pheasants or peasantsrofl rofl

Dorset speargun size?

Hi,
I currently have a 90cm speargun ...I'd actually wanted an 80cm but 90 was what was available & as I was heading for Cornwall, where 90cm is generally reckoned to be a good size. It was good in Cornwall, although a shorter gun would have been handy in a couple of gulleys (that contained large bass).

I have yet to see a fish worth spearing in Dorset (I know they are there though) so it is hard to know what is required. Seems that I normally encounter poor viz (I did experience some clear water snorkeling last Spring -- & it was gorgeous). I am thinking 90cm is probably way too long for most days inDorset and that somewhere between 45cm-75cm (probably 60/65/70/75) would be better suited to the task (might also work better for flatties, caves, piers, gulleys, Hampshire/Sussex). What do you guys advise? Are certain locations better with a longer/shorter gun?

Here's what I am thinking (I could be way off base):
coast between Lulworth & Weymouth, may be 65-75cm.
Newtons Cove, Harbour walls 50-75cm.
Chesil (don't bother!),
Portland Bill (??65-80cm??),
west Portland(??65-80cm??),
Swanage-Poole (?60-75cm?)

I am told 10cm makes a lot of difference in size for a speargun...but it seems like I would need to go at least 20cm below my current gun to notice any significant difference & probably more like 25-30cm. So 60-70cm, may 65cm?

Re: Dorset speargun size?

Far too technical x...just how many guns are you going to buy? A 75 will do you fine for pretty much all of Dorset. A mate uses a 90 (the guy in my photo album) and it doesn't really hold him back, even in low viz! I do agree that a longer gun would help in cornwall where you consitantly encounter clearer water. Btw You can spear the chesil!

Reactions: Mr. X
X - it's like choosing a fishing rod – some people like longer stiffer models, so they can finished it off quickly. I much prefer smaller rods that have a sensitive tip action and enjoy the longer but more pleasurable fight. Both will do the job of catching a fish and yes sometimes it’s best to have a longer rod, but just go with what you have and enjoy the experience :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Almostafish
I have had some great fish off Chesil. Work out of Tar rocks down to Blacknor point and you will have a hard time carrying the fish home. As for the gun choice... well it normally depends on what I left in the car boot.

Reactions: Mr. X
I've had plenty of bass in the Tar rocks 'area'. I know someone who has had 15lb+ bass there. You can shoot them with a 75 a 90 or a 100, just get in the water and get on with it, too much time spent thinking about all the millions of different combos. Being in the water with any gun is the best way to learn. My two cents worth

Reactions: Almostafish
I used to use a 100 and now have a 90, can't say i've noticed much difference, i only 'downsized' as that was what they had in the shop. Some people say tracking a fish is more difficult in a current with a longer gun but i think i'd rather have that extra bit of range. As for the lack of vis, i must have been lucky as its always been more than the 5ish mtrs of range my gun has! All the talk of 8 degree water sounds like heaven to me today as i'm stuck in birmingham with a hangover, the walk down (and back!) to Church Ope Cove and a quick dip would sort me out a treat!

Re: Dorset speargun size?

fearthespear said:
Far too technical x...

Correct...I have a 90 Commanche and I had a great 2005...split roughly 70/30 between Dorset and Newquay. And then there was that Scad I shot in the murk of Bognor....so don't wind yourself up technically because when you start thinking to much you minimise the instinct you get naturally and start to miss!
:martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT