• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well Surfnspear, if you think that I haven't learnt anything in 20 years plus of fishing for bass then tell me what does qualify? I was interested in hearing of other people's experiences of bass behaviour. So why the comment that I've only learnt something suddenly??

I was interested to hear what happened in the comps. at the weekend & asked for info. Several of you were kind enough to share a glimpse...which I appreciated, and I'm sure others did too. Hopefully, the above discussion won't deter future reports (although I suspect it will ).

Thought for the day: is shooting bigger fish really better for stocks than shooting smaller fish? i.e. is destroying a strong, healthy, successful, fertile, breeding, spawning bass really better than killing a smaller fish that may be a year or two off breeding & which may never make it, through disease, predation, poor survival instincts, infertility, bad luck, ... What percentage of bass make it to, say, 7lb -- 10%, 20% maybe?

I take no part in this argument, but I find a good point from Mr. X, really.
Also in my country there's a debate rising about this issue: maximum size.
We're all taught not to shoot small fishes before they've reached the reproductive age, and this is why we respect a minimum size, not only in competition rules, but also in everyday's recreational spearfishing. And that's right. Now some people, wisely, underline that also the grand adult reproductors should be preserved in some way, because they're the only ones who, for sure, are immediately ready to bear new life in the sea. So the idea rising is: don't shoot the ones bigger than a maximum size. That's right too.

But then, will there be any fish left that we can catch without feeling guilty?

My final 2 cents- ethics are fundamental, but there's one thing that, IMHO, should be always remembered: it is NOT spearfishing to blame for depleting of the sea. The quantity of our real impact is ridiculously low if compared to all the other fishing actors. But, nontheless, we spearos are the only ones who really care, discuss and even argue about ethics, selectivity and sustainability. It's a good thing from us, but isn't it strange?

Last edited:
Buster - It's not the Judean People's Front you have to worry about it's the other lot.. because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

We all know, to a man, that commercial fishing is BAD and spearfishing makes no real impact when compared.....honestly...fiinally... WE ALL KNOW !.:head

However if this type of ritual comp continues I am sure it will eventually lead to some higher authourity looking into the whole spearfishing situation. Just look at the recent thread regarding banning spearfishing from North Wales to Cardigan Bay under some 'foul hook' bylaw.

Comps do nothing for the environment or our image but WILL draw attention one day of someone ready to take up the mantle to at best restrict and at worst ban this minority sport.

I'm gonna make a feeble attempt at changing the subject away from all this what's wrong, what's right and what size fish to shoot and try and get it back to the original topic.

Dorset spearfishing.

Just got back from walking the dog along the cliffs above Chesil Cove and the West side of Portland (15 minutes ago). The sea looks like it's boiling. Thousands of fish making a right old kerfuffel.

That'll be the shoal of 60ft man-shagging Great White Kittens which means we're gonna need a bigger boat

Nice one Buster Lung
I bet it was gorgeous out there this morning sun coming up sea glistening and fish to look at.
I’m here in some red hot office dying to get down there so to all you lucky buggers who live by the sea keep up the reports and I’ll see you soon.
Spaniard you need to stop smoking those doggy cigarettes (nice one)

Reactions: Spaniard
River Cottage

From today's River Cottage news letter [ref. West Bay area?]:

"...With a clear blue sky, sparkling waves and a fresh salt breeze, our July fishing forays have been an unadulterated pleasure. We’ve just started turning up some good lobsters and fat brown crabs in our pots and we’ve caught a fair few bass in the last couple of weeks too. The mackerel, on the other hand, are playing hard to get – we think this may be because warmer temperatures are creating a phenomenon called ‘May water’ (though it rarely happens in May), where the phyto-plankton suddenly multiply. The mackerel don’t like this much, so they head off to clearer waters. Never mind: when they return, we’ll be waiting for them.

Lots of fishermen are reporting good catches of cod off this stretch of the south-west coast at the moment. It’s tempting to take that as a sign that this endangered fish is bouncing back - but I’m not so sure. Cod stocks are so very damaged that it would be foolish to rush in and scoop out any few that do appear. This is a species we really do need to leave alone for now - and that’s no hardship as there are such delicious alternatives. Pollack, one of my favourite white fish, are fat and plentiful. They make excellent eating, especially if lightly salted before cooking to really firm up their creamy white flesh..."

Hi guys - sorry to jump your thread but this may be of some interest to you?

I know this isnt the right place to advertise stuff but..

I'm selling my little 3.1m zodiac fastroller. Its the one with the rigid inflatable floor. Its a couple of years old in really good condition and comes with an old suzuki 8hp 2 stroke. The engine has never let me down.

Its a brilliant little spearing boat ideal for 1-2 people although we've dived 4 from it before but thats a bit cramped and you'll get some funny looks

Its super light weight i can carry it myself and put it on the car roof myself, the engine too is an easy 1 person carry. I leave in inflatated and put it on the car roof but it will fold to the size of a big suitcase.

I'm not really using it this summer and i want the money for putting a larger boat in the harbour - (we're scaling up the nonsense! )
£800 on the best offer

anyone want it PM me or mail james.hills@kerrier.gov.uk

cheers guys

Last edited:
Any of you guys going to the boat show. I am in southampton Sep 19-22.

No mate, no bike I am flying over, apart from the boat show I will be hunting in the new forest. Hunting mushrooms. (if there is enough rain by then)

This was Portland Bill last night with perfect surf for bass, but not for spearos!

Last edited:
I'm down at the sailing acadamy again with my kids racing all next week . I dont usually have a buddy and normally dive solo but am keen to hitch up if anyone fancies it!
May have access to a rib either end of the day

Went down to Church Ope Cove today and I was suprised that the vis looked fine - so I nipped back to car for my stuff..

My wife sat and read while I had a quick dive - vis was OK - plenty of mullet about, but nothing worth spearing -

The walk back up is a pain and I'm sure someone added more steps while we were on the beach!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X

John

I'm about in the boat most evenings this week. During the day I'll be in the shop. If you want to save yourself a walk next time give me a shout. Scores on the doors...... Last night one bass. Tuesday five monster mullet. Tonight..... Hooper, grab another barrel!!!!

Just because I can't resist:

What is it about ethics that gets everyone riled on forums? We live in a shallow godless materialistic world where good men die like dogs and pimps and hustlers roam free, and you can invade anywhere you like as long as it's got oil, and no-one lifts an eyebrow. But shoot a 35cm bass and post a piccy of it on a forum, and... I think the moral of the story is only post piccys of very big fish and enjoy the tiddlers in the privacy of your own kitchen... (this is a joke btw)

Anyway, I know this thread has taken a serious meander off-topic recently and I hate to contribute to the deviation but...

I'm off to Plymouth to see some mates for the weekend. Anyone know any good spearo spots down that way. Especially any that might have a bit of vis in the f****g wind *coughs*...

I know that's about Devon, but I do live in Dorset...lol

Also, anyone have any experience with Beuchat's Mundial Elite? Thinking of upgrading gun and it's a toss up between that and the Seatec Gabbiano from Spearo? Any hints?

OK deviation over!! Anyone after a bit of shelter in DORSET - had a cracking bass out of Man O' War cove last Sunday vis was still 2m ish in force 5 onshores as well...

Reactions: Mr. X
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…