• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cheers Mr X / Surfnspear. Will definately need to treat my ankles to some ointment, am hobbling around wearing a grimace - looks like i've got caught short! The new suit has a pad of sorts on the front but the back of the gun slips off it so gonna try grabbing one rubber first and then positioning the back pad.

Small fish

This swam past us yesterday at Lands End, but we decided it was too small to bag!! (see Robbo we do know when not to shoot) We saw 10+ basking sharks in total which is considerably more than the total number of bass we saw!!

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Re: Small fish

flyflicker said:
This swam past us yesterday at Lands End, but we decided it was too small to bag!! (see Robbo we do know when not to shoot) We saw 10+ basking sharks in total which is considerably more than the total number of bass we saw!!

Flyflicker, NICE.
where you in the water or in a boat when you took the picts?

We swam with the first one we saw, which was about 10 feet. But the one in the photo was the largest (18 feet) of three and we decided to stay in the boat for that one!!

We must have seen 10 that day - amazing -

flyflicker said:
We swam with the first one we saw, which was about 10 feet. But the one in the photo was the largest (18 feet) of three and we decided to stay in the boat for that one!!

We must have seen 10 that day - amazing -

Great stuff, hope it was a big boat.:)

Re: Small fish

flyflicker said:

Glad to here it Flyflicker, hope the rest follow suit.

Incidentally I'm catching good size sewen on a stretch we have on the ogmore, mainly on dry between 8-9pm....grey dusters. Bizarre I know but working. How are you getting on ??

Rob

Kimmeridge?

I have been looking at several new locations to visit. One is Kimmeridge although it sounds like the tide goes out a long way and for a long time. Does this present any particular problems for spearing (long walk over rock pools/bayside entry)? I am wondering if it might be better to leave visiting this particular spot for a high tide. Also, is it free parking (thought it looked pretty barren but it looks like there might be a visitor centre)?

[Robbo, do you ever dive around Ogmore? Amazing cliffs, like overhanging staircases...and loose too:D. South West legend Pat Littlejohn used to promote the place for sea cliff climbing...outrageous place.]

Last edited:
Re: Kimmeridge?

Mr. X said:
South West legend Pat Littlejohn used to promote the place for sea cliff climbing...outrageous place.][/SIZE]

there was a book MrX called "Deep water solos in Dorset" i think. As I recall the book that had some nice photos of the coast line and gave references to depth of water under the climbs. Always remember the pictures showing BLUE waters.

Re: Kimmeridge?

Pav said:
there was a book MrX called "Deep water solos in Dorset" i think. As I recall the book that had some nice photos of the coast line and gave references to depth of water under the climbs. Always remember the pictures showing BLUE waters.
Sounds like it might be the work of Pat Littlejohn, he was v. active all over the SW. He did extremely long traverses (miles) in a shortie wetsuit & EBs...swimming across bays when the rock was unclimbable (which was probably rare for him). There were some soloing competitions over the sea near Swanage too (Boulder Ruckle?).

Last edited:
Hi, i've been to kimmeridge and was worth a look, found a good sized lobster and lots of wrass, we didn't take any as it's a marine reserve so we wern't sure if it was ok. i suppose we knew it wasn't good form without asking! was great for snorkelling or if the swell was rough as quite sheltered direction that day. quite shallow with deeper areas depending on the tide hieght.
We found man'of'war by durdle door very good on the inside of the rocks as it was still rough! didn't take speargun and there were some good size fish that day!
If any one knows any good spots near to kent would be very interested to hear of them.

:wave

Reactions: Mr. X
Kimmeridge

billythefish said:
... it's a marine reserve so we weren't sure if it was ok...If any one knows any good spots near to kent would be very interested to hear of them.
Didn't realise Kimmeridge is Marine Reserve -- although apparently it has no legal standing, sounds like they just made it up:
http://www.coastlink.org/kimmeridge/index.html
Still, makes me a little uneasy about fishing there. An ethical dilemma! :confused:

Reserving a few areas might help maintain fish stocks. On the other hand, any Tom, Dick or Harry could designate their favourite spot a "VMNR" and glare at visitors. Pretty soon we'll have no where left to fish. I prefer voluntary to compulsory...BUT I can also see VMNR being the first step to Compulsory MNR, if people go along with it. Spearing is a low impact fishing technique, I think somebody (Flyflicker maybe?) mentioned in an old post that anglers got a cheery wave but the spearos incorgruously got glared at! Any locals have an opinion on this?

Also, are there any clear limits or boundaries to this reserve? Wonder how/why they chose Kimmeridge? Is there a business/charity/organisation associated with this?

I guess it worked on some level, I opted to paint the garage today rather than visit Kimmeridge :(.

[Billy, I know nothing about Kent, although I believe there is spearing to be had along the Sussex coast, including Bognor - which might be a tad closer for you.]

yeah it's a funny one at K-Bay. it's not really a nature reserve, but there are a lot of crazies there including some nutters from the lobster liberation front who trashed a whole load of boats and pots there a few years back. I've been surfing there for years and it would be an ace spot for spearo but haven't taken my gun there yet as there are loads of other spots nearby with similar bottom conditions that don't have any nutters around

try chapman's. you're unlucky if you meet another soul down there especially off-season.

Thanks for the comment's on kimmeridge, hope the shed repairs went well mrX! I'll check out bognor area soon.

Thanks for that link to the trust thingy too, was interesting to read about the volantary reserve status, as you say still feels bit dodgy going to sea with a gun. perhaps i'll stick to observation only in kimmeridge.
:confused:
Although spearo is very sustainable like anglers, (let's face it how many of us are there) compared to a tandem trawer set up (dolpin drown'ers i hear) and other commecial set ups, we must be very insignificant on the fish stocks. i am concerned as we all are, i hope, about over fishing and enviromental change. perhaps leaving a few areas so help lobsters etc restock is a good idea?????????????????

i found an interesting site about conservation;

http://www.project180.co.uk/

all food for thought, like omega fish oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy hunting all
Will :D :D

project 180 is a very laudable effort to reintroduce crayfish to the south west by setting up a no take zone at wembury nr plymouth
Getting all the interested parties to agree has been a nightmare apparrently.
Shame really as its a good bass spot

Anyone else been out recently? Had a couple of lovely dives at Tilly Whim before the winds, and then a surprisingly productive dive at Man O' War on Sunday - seems the chop had brought a few of the bigger bass in even if the vis was a bit milky. Great fun!

My new gun (Beuchat Mundial Carbon 90 cm) is on its way!! I've now officially got all the gear and no idea! Hold me back! :)

Reactions: podge and Mr. X
Heads Up! More No Take Zones (was Re: Kimmeridge)

Mr. X said:
Didn't realise Kimmeridge is Marine Reserve -- although apparently it has no legal standing, sounds like they just made it up:
http://www.coastlink.org/kimmeridge/index.html
Still, makes me a little uneasy about fishing there. An ethical dilemma! :confused:
Mr. X said:
By the way, the Lundy Island website claims that Lundy has the only legally enforced Marine Reserve in the UK.
On the TV news this morning, a member of the government is heading over to Lundy Island today to checkout the legally enforced Marine Reserve & No Take Zone. The government is considering creating more Marine Reserves & No Take Zones.
[They must be reading this thread:confused(just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching us:D).]

Last edited:
Re: Heads Up! More No Take Zones (was Re: Kimmeridge)

Mr. X said:
On the TV news this morning, a member of the government is heading over to Lundy Island today to checkout the legally enforced Marine Reserve & No Take Zone. The government is considering creating more Marine Reserves & No Take Zones.
[They must be reading this thread:confused(just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching us:D).]

Big brother’s out there baby make no mistake and his time will come all we can do is be ready with a strong defence of our sport.

Marine Reserves & No Take Zones

A few small, carefully selected areas set aside might well make sense. Hopefully they would produce an abundance of wildlife that would overspill into surrounding area that could be fished.

The problem with governments in general (and, perhaps, this one in particular), is that once you give them an inch, they take a mile. I wonder if the American NRA have the right approach, which seems to be to give no quarter.

This is a dilemma for me, I am for protecting fish stocks & the (hunting) environment they require to live, but I am also for protecting what few rights we have left, including hunting & fishing rights & access, for future generations. Unlike some, I see hunting as being completely compatible with conservation. The area I live in has numerous woods, hedge rows, spinneys, ponds, marshes and coppice maintained exclusively, primarily or secondarily for hunting and/or fishing of various types. Many farmers no longer hunt, so they rip out the hedge rows & woods and drain the marshes, so that they have larger more cost-effective fields. It is the hunters that are preserving & managing the habitat of the wildlife, often at considerable financial costs to themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad and podge
Re: Marine Reserves & No Take Zones

Mr. X said:
A few small, carefully selected areas set aside might well make sense. Hopefully they would produce an abundance of wildlife that would overspill into surrounding area that could be fished.

The problem with governments in general (and, perhaps, this one in particular), is that once you give them an inch, they take a mile. I wonder if the American NRA have the right approach, which seems to be to give no quarter.

This is a dilemma for me, I am for protecting fish stocks & the (hunting) environment they require to live, but I am also for protecting what few rights we have left, including hunting & fishing rights & access, for future generations. Unlike some, I see hunting as being completely compatible with conservation. The area I live in has numerous woods, hedge rows, spinneys, ponds, marshes and coppice maintained exclusively, primarily or secondarily for hunting and/or fishing of various types. Many farmers no longer hunt, so they rip out the hedge rows & woods and drain the marshes, so that they have larger more cost-effective fields. It is the hunters that are preserving & managing the habitat of the wildlife, often at considerable financial costs to themselves.

Right on the button Mr.X
I say Mr.X for Prime Minister (or should that be Mr President)

Reactions: Old Man Dave
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT