• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mr. X said:
....I think some use line-winders to shorten their lines -- I don't do that). SurfNSpear?

I have bought some velcro bands (b&q again) which i use to shorten the line. You can coil a few lengths up and then secure it with the velcro and attach it to the float. Quite handy if you just want a short line for a short time.

Reactions: Mr. X
that's a good idea *trundles off to b&q*

my new beuchat mundial arrived yesterday - what a lovely gun, can't wait to terrorise some Danish fishes with it! It really makes you realise that not all spearguns are created equal - my Cressi Sioux looks really flimsy in comparison, and the monofilament seems so much easier to handle. Also got some new spear tips for my polespear (I lost one in man o'war cove - a JBL paralyser tip if anyone finds it!!) so I'm all ready for the flatfish, which apparently are all over the place on the island in Denmark I'm going to.

I read that there aren't any bass in the Baltic as it's too far north. Anybody know where I can find any info on the sealife up there. Searched this site already and didn't turn much up...

not seen the pole spear tip at man o war but did see a crab/lobster cage/pot on our last visit, moored just off the rocks and bouyed just below the surface with a silver float, wondered if it was anybodies on here?

There was a bloke with a pole spear down man o war last time we were down there, fishless though. Milkman, do you get much with it? And is it just for sticking in stuff on the bottom or can it be launched like a spear?

i just use it for stuff on the bottom - used it (successfully) for reef fish in the tropics though, but there's a lot more fish around there!

you can launch it to the length of the pole (about 7ft). Any further than that and you have to be sure you're not going to lose it, cos it's out of your hand. It's very tiring holding it cocked all the time for free-swimming fish, hence I use it for stuff on the bottom.

Good luck with trying to get money for a boat...When we started the London Club they told us to f**k off as we were involved in blood sports.

Reactions: Mr. X
the_milkman said:
...Also got some new spear tips for my polespear (I lost one in man o'war cove - a JBL paralyser tip if anyone finds it!!)...
That place must have magnetic rocks - I lost a knife there last year (although I suspect the snorkeller that entered as I left might have found it - looked all excited then went real quiet). I think somebody else posted that they lost a knife there this year. It's quite a small place when the tide goes out -- anybody got a waterproof metal detector?

Spaniard said:
Good luck with trying to get money for a boat...When we started the London Club they told us to f**k off as we were involved in blood sports.
Like choosing to go to war (Iraq) while banning fox hunting as too bloody? Angling seems to get a lot of govt. funding. Seems like hunters inc. fishermen need to get more involved in these organisations and committees (although from an interest level they are probably at opposite ends of the scale). I wonder if the competition org. (BSA?) gets involved in Sports funding?

Another approach might be to start a snorkelling/freediving/skindiving club or Angling Club and just make Spearos & spearing welcome. [I started a mountaineering club with a friend once, for some reason we seemed to attract a large group of cavers too...all helps with membership numbers & pub gatherings though. The club's membership of the BMC also provided a level of "free" insurance for members (& we set the membership fee low, as v. little cost was involved). We also negotiated club discounts with several retailers; many stores gave 10% discount for any membership if asked, on production of a club or BMC card. Some offered more but required a membership list (privacy issues). Bulk buying discount also became an option.]

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Dorset this weekend with another (newbie) spearo and we're camping at Durdle Door - any advice on local spots? Last time I was on that bit of the coast (walking, not diving), I remember thinking that Dancing Ledge looked like a nice place to get wet...

Cheers,

Niall

if you're at Durdle Door, try Man O' War, or if it's calm enough outside it as well! Ringstead is not far, but again, it'll have to be calm. Dancing Ledge is tricky access I believe - have to time the tide right.

Have fun!

well team, the floatline is on it's way from the U S of A, and I'm all packed up for Denmark. Apart from fishing, I'm not doing all that much so will post some piccy's if I catch anything cool. Have a good weekend all.

Hi Niall,
It looks like it might be a bit windy this weekend (Monday looks promising) - the wind part of the BBC forecast is notoriously inaccurate though & often changes in speed & direction.
Swanage forecast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1194

If that turns out to be a problem (chop/poor viz), it might be worth looking for somewhere that offers some shelter from the wind (use the multimap link below to search). Not sure where that would be for a SE wind though ...maybe Chesil?

Weymouth forecast:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1738
Multimap for Chesil: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....epicon=&zm=0&scale=200000&left.x=6&left.y=143

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Portland Harbour is pea soup, Newtons Cove is pea soup - I guess Weymouth along the Purbecks is pea soup (because of the wind yesterday) Chesil Cove 'may' be OK --- Time to buy some squid and fish the rising tide.................

Newtons Cove 7am

Attachments

• Dscn2798.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Nutsacks!

I was coming down to empty the sea today (erhem!) .....

See you next time!

Thanks for the tips, Mr X!

In the end, we had a fun but fairly unproductive trip...
We got up on Saturday morning to a fairly stiff breeze and took a look at the conditions from the clifftop above Man-o-war. You could literally see a huge chalky slick of zero vis being washed west across the bay from the beaches to the east. Things looked better and more sheltered on the Durdle Door side, so went in there for a couple of hours. Saw plenty of wrasse and some pollack, one of which I shot, so at least I know my new gun works
The visibility started failing pretty swiftly after that, and the swell was a little queasy-making so we bailed out for some lunch.

In the afternoon we drove over to Worth Matravers and walked (the long way ) down to Chapman's Pool, only to find visibility of about 1m. Horrible. Nice spot at sunset, though

Yesterday, we took a look at Portland Bill, thought better of the massive tidal flow shooting straight out to sea and went into Portland harbour instead. Vis still fairly crummy, managed to find one (1) scallop... still, it tasted nice with soy sauce and lime when I got home. Saw a few sole, but with such rubbish viz, they were gone before I could really see them, let alone line up my gun.

After that, we headed back up to the Bill, now at low tide, and jumped in. Not much in the way of edible fish (I think Ross spotted a decent sized mullet but wasn't fast enough) - I guess it would have been better when the tide started rising properly, but we had a long drive back to London and hey, it was a gorgeous sunny afternoon, and I can think of worse places to be than finning through a forest of seaweed, watching rays of sunlight playing though the water

The one thing I did find was a fair amount of ammunition lying on the bottom - there was a magazine for a sub-machine gun full of (presumably live) shells, and another couple of loose shells a few metres away. Anyone know who this sort of thing ought to be reported to? I thought about picking them up and handing them in at a police station, but the thought of handling live explosives that have been sitting in salt water for a while put me off...

I'm aware that there's plenty of military activity around Portland, but I didn't realise they were in the business of tossing live ammo in the sea.

Cheers,

Niall

Great report Niall, thanks.

There are some restrictions in the harbour, somebody posted a map earlier in this thread showing details. Perhaps some are related to military activity. PO mentioned the marines storm it every week.

Yo Bryn welcome back, you coming out to play this weekend? Me and Jim are down on Sunday for a dip and maybe the Dorset Spearo Club thing although I’ve not heard anything else about it. I think Glowworm had a bit of trouble with his computer so is unable to post maybe you could give him a bell?
Hope to see you on Sunday.
Paul

Aloha! Yeah I should be about for a spot of spearo/beero! I have just come back from 3 weeks driving/crewing this thing..

Attachments

• thrax.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Almostafish said:
Aloha! Yeah I should be about for a spot of spearo/beero! I have just come back from 3 weeks driving/crewing this thing..

Nice, one of your much loved Tug boats.
Where did you get to anywhere nice? Any fish shot? Any sharks seen?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…