• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I know how you feel gatherer,my brand new omer ice fins are sitting in a box literally begging me to make them wet.However,my girlfriend ,a staunch upholder of tradition is forbiding any fin action :naughty until they've been wrapped,placed under a tree and opened on the appropriate day,boxing day however will be a dive day come hell or high water.

im in the same boat got my ice fins about three weeks ago. walked round my house with them on and nearly killed my self goin up stairs to the bathroom:martial now there in the corner of my bedroom, i swear there callin me in the nightrofl

no no no i might have to work sunday and i not have a dive buddy:head :head :head :head :head :head :head :head :head :head

ive seen it,might have to go round to the neighbour and see if i can borrow the my old seatec velas i sold him!

Does anyone know whether there are actually any fish about at this time of year - ie cod?

I am thinking of going out on the breakwaters at Portland - unless anyone has a better suggestion? (other than getting on a plane to somewhere hot and sunny with big game fish a-plenty)

H. Gatherer said:
Does anyone know whether there are actually any fish about at this time of year - ie cod?

I am thinking of going out on the breakwaters at Portland - unless anyone has a better suggestion? (other than getting on a plane to somewhere hot and sunny with big game fish a-plenty)

There are Cod at Portland but they are very deep and in very secret locations. Pete Crawford shot a nice one there at a BSA competition a few years ago.

As spaniard said, they are very deep, ive seen them whilst drifting the western side of the island on Scuba, but they were at approx 20m and most were tight to the bottom and holed up under some huge boulders. Unless you are very good at deep dives its unlikely you will get anywhere near them.

There are still some good bass and flatties in the harbour at the moment though.

Cod! I have a thing about cod at the moment. Yes in the summer they are deep and sometimes holed up but in the winter they come closer in and are more plentiful being a cold water loving species. They are also very stupid and seldom take fright. I'd say if you see one then it should be yours. Anglers get cod off the beach in winter in shallow water but nearly always at night and often in poor vis. Not always though.

Weather has been so shit that there hasn't even been the minimum vis needed to fish but soon as there is I shall be out at night looking for a cod (plus red mullet and soles of course). We don't have a big cod fishery as it's a bit warm here but local anglers have had a few off the shore lately.

Here's one to wet the appetite.

Dave

Last edited:
I went out at Portland with a friend on Sunday but saw very little, vis wasn't as bad (2-3m) as expected but there seemed to be very few fish of any type let alone shootable ones. I was on the East side of the breakwaters down to about 10m and then in the shallow bay - just below the Portland Coastguard station (can't remember the name). I saw one other spearo in the second location but didn't find out if he had anything.

I didn't try in the harbour itself as I assumed the vis would be just too poor - perhaps some areas are better than others?

Very interested in the cod at night idea - maybe they would be attracted to a torch?

Hi guys, I had a great weekend in England, visited a few interesting places on (in) the Isle of Purbeck. Dancing ledges looked great for a bit of spearing, anyone ever tried?
And a happy Christmas to all you Dorset folk. :friday

Have a great Christmas to you too Foxfish!

I have never been off Dancing Ledges but there are some great spots in the Lulworth Range area such as Warbarrow Bay (good kelp) which are often off limits due to the MOD ranges being active. The ranges close for August and are often not in use at the weekend so its worth checking with the Range control if you want to give it a go. I have only tried there twice and seen but failed to connect with some good sized bass, I am itching to go back - probably in the summer. Most places are easier to reach with a boat but there is a road down to the abandonned village of Tyneham which I think is open in the summer and possibly at other times when the range is closed.

I am still itching to get out again - I heard about a 14lb bass being taken (rod and line) off a rocky point near Plymouth last weekend, I am going to try to find out exactly where and possibly go and investigate soon, it might be my excuse to escape Chrismas duties! Will keep you posted.

Merry Christmas to all.

Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT