• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset spearfishing 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comanche 75 is an ideal beginners gun; stick with it.
You WILL need a proper spearo wetsuit, surf suits simply do not suffice, you will absloutly freeze your nads off. When spearing you are completely submersed in water for hours at a time. If you haven't got one already then I strongly advice going on picasso uk website and order a 5mm cammo suit. If you mention my name when you order they will give away all the best gilthead bream spots.

Ideally you need:

* low profile mask and snorkel
* long fins
* rubber weight bekt with lead.
* wetsuit 2 piece 5mm
* 75-90 cm gun
* knife and stringer
* float and line
* goody bag.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: moomin
All good advice but those wetsuits are a bit out of my price range. I'll see if I can source a second hand one maybe.

I've been told on another forum that I won't need a reel or line in Dorset but without explanation. I'm dubious of this advice.
If I only catch one fish and the sod swims off into his happy ending with my only spear up his arse I'm gonna be annoyed.

Just buy 5-8m of clear aquarium airline tie a carabiner to each end, clip one end to your float and the other to your gun. Yo will have sime 'shoiting' line with your gun that us used to attach the spear to the gun.

Man, you know your spearfishing. Okay, so I'm looking at picking up a 3mm body glove for 80 quid.
Any good or do I need something more heavy duty?
Is 3mm being a bit optimistic?

That is very optimistic. I wear a 3mm rob Allen 2 piece spearfishing suit between july- end September. But most guys wear 5mm or 7mm all year round.

Im sure somebody will have a second hand pissy suit hanging around for you.

What height and weight are you?

Anyone have a soearo suit for sale for this chap?

Mate you will freeze without one.

Spearo suits are open cell neoprene with built in hood and chest high bottoms. Si u get double the thickness across your torso, so 10mm neoprene across the torso.
Also open cell is very dufferent to the surfing wetsuits. Open cell sticks to your skin and stops water ingress into the suit. You put them on with lube.

You know more than me on the subject so I guess I'll wait a bit. No rush to buy just yet I suppose.
I do have 5 months to get geared up, I'm sure I can find something in in that time, failing that I'll start putting some cash into the old boys toys savings and pick up a picasso just before the trip.
Thank christ I joined this forum. I'd of had a pretty cold, pretty hungry stay in dorset otherwise I think.

Lots of friendly help on here. I'm sure everyone will be happy to guide you on the right path for a safe, enjoyable and substainable aventure..

Also have a look in the for sale section for a suit.

Yeah, one of us has already bottled out and decided just to pack a pole, some spinners and a softshell crab or 2 instead haha.
It's all too technical for him.

If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it properly, with all the correct gear and armed with as much knowledge as I can get.
This is definately the place to come.

Now we have another interesting angle, keeping score. Pole vs. Spear. IT'S ON!!!

Me and my mates go away every summer on a 4 day canoeing survival trip on the river wye, we travel 12-14 hours a day and eat whatever we catch or forage...bit like deleverance but minus the bumming and banjos.

This year I was thinking of doing the same but in the sea with the spearo equipment, my mate Alan is up for it, but he's trying to convince me to do the whole deliverence experience....;)

Reactions: flea and moomin
All I heard was "bit like deliverance but minus all the fun stuff"

Haha, kidding.

Yeah if I enjoy this gig as much as I think I'm gonna then I want to make regular trips during the year. I mean, I'm not sinking $500+ (the sterling pound sign has died on my keyboard) on gear for one trip.

I like the idea of going for a low tide forage a lot. I love my sea food so getting some local shellfish straight off the beach and cooking them on hot rocks is about as ray mears as I get.

It's hard to be survivor man in the city but i give it a bash ;)

I have been spearing for a year now and have all the kit and have caught a few nice sized bass. My deepest dive so far has been to roughly 15m.

I am now looking for a new dive buddy due to my current one deciding to sell his kit to fund his sailing...

Hope to meet some fellow spearo's to allow me to continue diving whilst being safe!

All the best!
Josh

2014 hit list:

A Uk species that you have never speared, but want to.

For me it's a cod, black bream, angler fish, brill, turbot and a 'red' gurnard. Pretty sure ive had all other UK target species.

Nice one. I've had tub gurnards; nothing huge. But not seen a red.

Any vis in Cornwall? Brown everywhere here :( and it's going to stay that way for a while...

There may be a bit of viz about. we've had light winds and calm seas for a few days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT