• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
glowworm said:
...Need to work off the christmas excess from my waist line before i get back into my wetsuit...
:hmm my custom made suit was feeling a little snug* yesterday too:( (nothing too serious fortunately -- & still toasty warm). Christmas also seemed to dull my mind somewhat (see recent postings for the proof!) ... also managed to scold my leg with hot water from my flask donning my wetsuit:head & cut my ankle clambering over rocks:duh. Time to shape up:martial .
I used to say "things can only get better" ... but that is never true! rofl

[*Mince pies & Port should carry a govt. health warning:D].

Last edited:
Shhhh Ringstead is an under estimated area. I have caught plenty of bass in similar conditions as today, casting just 5 yards off the rocks...

Watch out for the shrunken worms and shriveled nuts that expose themselves during the summer months if the far corner of the beach.. ;)

Mr x – I lost my Father’s crab hook there this summer, luckily I recovered it the next day at low tide… good luck with your weight belt & flag.

Happy New year to all - :friday

Last edited:
Hope your luck improves for the rest of 2006 MR X.

I think most of dorset's coast is vastly underated Flyflicker with only a few well know marks being used by everybody.The parking fees should keep most away from ringstead.

Well back to getting in shape and dreaming of some new kit from Ben and Ade.

SurfnSpear said:
Damn right Johno! This time we put real .50 cal ammo on board the duck..
You're using a duck for spearfishing?!! Little extreme isn't it!rofl

glowworm said:
Hope your luck improves for the rest of 2006 MR X.

I think most of dorset's coast is vastly underated Flyflicker with only a few well know marks being used by everybody.The parking fees should keep most away from ringstead.

Well back to getting in shape and dreaming of some new kit from Ben and Ade.
Thanks (me too!). I visited Ringstead a few weeks ago, just to take a quick too look around - didn't notice any parking fees -- perhaps because it is out of season(?) (everything, i.e. the cafe/shop & toilet, was locked up ...only 2 other cars there). Is it expensive/busy in season? Osmington car park was packed full when I visited there a few weeks ago but there didn't seem to be many people on the beach -- perhaps they were all in the pub (although it looked pretty quiet too)?!

You have to pay at the Bill & Newton Cove too. The Cove seems pretty popular. I reckon parking is going to be an issue when they open the Fort as an added attraction. Still haven't really dived the Cove -- it was surprisingly flat & calm; maybe I should go at low tide next time! Glad to hear you think Dorset is underrated -- one good day of viz & some fish is all it would take to convince me. It might have been OK yesterday, if I could have gone out a little further -- it seemed much clearer at low tide (from the shore anyway).

Mr. X said:
You're using a duck for spearfishing?!! Little extreme isn't it!rofl

Ask Ben nicely for 'Revenge of the Duck 2006' at the next Spearo BBQ...

Attachments

• DUKWPIC013.jpeg
    DUKWPIC013.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 200
I think so !!!

There's nothing quite like spearfishing from a duck in the morningrofl rofl

Hi All,

I am new to this website but not new to spearfishing.
I have had mates dive in the uk before and they tell me its not too bad. Over the years of being here I finally brought most of my gear over from SA.
As with all new dive spots,local knowledge is the vital ingredient to sucessful catches. I am a novice to the local knowledge and regulations here. I am keen to get into the water and wet my 'gills' again but not if its going to jepordise my safety and waste my time.

Could anyone give me some pointers on where to go and if there is a 'dive club' people attend. I don't have a dive buddy here. Mine are all happy hunting back in SA, shooting cuda and snoek all day long.

I would be very grateful if anyone could pass useful information on to me.
I am not a 'happy go lucky hunter' that shoots anything that moves and i do respect the ocean. I have dived some parts of greece and its sooooo frustrating to get in the water and see absolutely nothing but tiny moss biters.

I look forward to your replies.

PS: I am in the surrey / sw london area,

Regards,

Hey mate, welcome to DB and UK. Check this site out;

Untitled Document

They are the 'London' club for spearos, basically lots of ex-pats from all over the world who have ended up in UK and love spearing. Send a private message to forum member Paul Maxwell, he is South African, living in UK for a while and involved in London club. There are other South Africans here, Surf'n'spear I believe so check the other threads; South Devon, Cornwall, Sussex etc. Good luck

Hi Fish Sniper, let us know your name? Well, if you get into it over here (certainly the boat diving with the London International Club) you will be pleasantly surprised. Paul, Colin Chester etc, all I believe live around your area of London.
P.S. Look up the 2008 Dorset Thread.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT