• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dslr

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The Olympus E-410 with matching 8mm Fisheye lens is looking to be a good alternative system. Olympus makes a compactish (is that a word?) housing for it and INON makes a dome port for it.

Thanks for the head's up on that one Cliff.

It's all still out of my price range but I'm working on it. ;)

Jon

Hey Jon - you're welcome. :)

Welcome to the world of DSLR's and housings. One of the reasons I switched to shooting video. At least I didn't have to worry about so much gear.

Although it's more spendy in the initial purchase - Video has taken over where shooting stills use to give me that rush.

My HC7 with bluefin housing is the shiznit and I'm awaiting the monitor back set to arrive sometime today.

Shooting with a dome port is what is so damned expensive. The Olympus one adds almost $1000 to the price tag - Yikes!!! By the time you get done buying all of that - you could be into a decent HD video camera and L&M Stingray housing to freedive with.

I picked up 2 SONY HC7's for $899 each on Amazon and the Stingray housing from L&M is less than $1900 - and that includes a monitor back. Decent 60 degree port and will take their 80 degree w/a port, which is what I have for my Bluefin HC7 housing.

just throwing the idea out there for ya. ;)

Dear Cliff,

Thankyou for adding yet another dimension to this already-thoroughly-mind-ruining-without-your-input topic :)

I can't speak for Jon but I personally have been archly disturbed since I once again wandered into this aberration.

I did recently see an extremely cool video housing buy someone like C4. I think I'll take my mind of all this dslr noise by browsing those things for awhile.

I've shot the Nikon 10.5 fisheye. It gives a lot of distortion on dry land, I don't know what it would do in water. The correction software for it works well though. I'm not sure I would like it for heavy use. I have not looked at many Nikon lenses lately.

We have a Sea & Sea 860 DX-860G STEPUP GUIDE with the YS25 flash. It's tagged at $1099. I think I can work a better deal on it. But I know it's a lower level camera that your looking for.

I wish I could find a GREAT deal on a used housing for my D100.

Thanks Fondue... ;)

I shot stills for over 25 years - 20 professionally. I hit burnout - it seemed the same routine over and over for me. Shooting video has opened a whole new realm for story telling. I'm still refining my technique for freediving and shooting video.

Lambis is big on using his Nexus housing with their small dome port and the 10.5mm lens. His work has blown me away - very zen like - unlike alot of the content I have seen typical bubble blowers shoot. I respect his and Fred Buyle's work greatly. I'm surprised they aren't published more - this coming from having worked in print publication a number of years back in the late 80's to mid 90's.

Fred is shooting video with a SONY HC3 in a Gates housing, but I prefer the L&M housings - the integrated monitor back is easier to work with as compared to the flip out screen option on the Gates. The only advantage to the Gates housing is the wider selection of ports available - especially their highly corrected swa port - which costs more than the housing and camera combined.

I like his work too. I am hoping to get more shots of freedivers this summer - first step has been to create more divers :) - with my humble S80 and Inon - but work like Lambis' is extremely humbling.

Chris,

My in-law's carry Sea& sea at their shop so I can already get it. I was looking at the new DX-1G with the wide angle lens as another system to go with- much more affordable from my perspective. It has RAW mode and video mode, but it still won't do the trick that a dedicated still, or video, camera will in their respective areas.

I've wanted to step up to a DSLR for some time, but they are just SOOO expensive and they keep changing things so often I've never been able to do it. The 10.5 might seem wide on the surface but everything changes underwater. Most of the shots I've had published were taken with a 16mm. Going with a wider lens in a housing would be similar- well, maybe a little wider. I know that Nikon always used to say that their 28mm Nikon's lens underwater was the same as a 35mm on land and the 35mm underwater was the same as a 50mm on land.

Cliff, What about TopDawg? I know that they make a wide angle lens and a video monitor back for them and you can keep switching out cameras as you move up in the world. I thought that they were also made by L+M? What camera would you suggest putting into something like that?

The E-410 looks like you could one-hand it from the size of the housing. I see they make a hand strap just for that purpose. It also has the live view screen on the back- which I find to be very helpful. The only way i could afford a set-up like that is to sell off some toys- anyone need a scooter? rofl

Jon

GRHPHTZSHLQ!!

Pardon me.
I meant training, encouraging and generating public awareness. (The rumors about carp are mostly untrue)

I think the lcd composition screen is a big plus - I know I often do one-hand/weird angle shots I'd not get without it. I think we'll be seeing that feature, and smaller SLRs more and more in the near future.

My Inon lens is something like 170 on land and 100 u/w.

Last edited:
Jon - the issue with the TopDawg is that it still utilizes a flat glass lens port - worthless for shooting video - the distortion and chromatic aberration when using a third party w/a lens would disappoint you IMO. It's really a housing designed for bubble blowers shooting macro IMO.

The Light & Motion Stingray allows you to switch different cameras as they are released and the housing is better built and in my opinion, worth the money for someone getting into video. It alread accommodates 10 different SONY cameras and was just announced that it supports the newly announced HC9, which replaces the HC7.
stingrayhd.jpg
Anyone looking to get into video really should look at this housing - it is very comfortable to hold and you can use your ports, lights, etc if you decide to upgrade to one of their other video housings that take the same accessories.

Last edited:
Cliff,

That is a nice looking looking housing but for what the housing and wide angle lens cost, not even counting the camera itself, I could get the whole Olympus system with cash to spare.

Sorry, but I would need to sell a kidney or something to do it up right.

I thought that TopDawg had a port that you could switch out on the front, but I guess it's just an accessory lens that you add onto it. At that point an Ikelite case becomes a better bet.

What do you think of the Sea&sea VSX1 or VXG1 housings and their respective cameras?

Jon

G1 is discontinued, don't have any experience with Sea & Sea Video Housings.

I have a close contact with Sea & Sea and I've been told that they aren't pursuing the video end nearly as much as stills. So I can't tell you about longevity, repair, etc on their housings.

So big question I have is why are you wanting to go to DSLR in the first place? Have you found the image quality lacking in one of the compact p/s setups? Hs the P/S left you wanting for better response while shooting???

You already have the wide angle lens that can be fitted to just about any housing on the market. Maybe you're trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Maybe you should look at one of the compact P/S with a small strobe for fill lighting. Check [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Digital-Camera-Underwater-housing-outfit_W0QQitemZ200201196285QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]this [/ame]out

Just wondering.

Last edited:
A few different reasons to want to upgrade to the DSLR.

First, to be able to shoot more than 1 picture in Raw mode every 10 seconds-like that 5060 set up you posted.

Second, shutter lag- it's worse than jet lag.

Third, sharper images that come from a larger processor- 10 mega pixels in a sub compact is not the same as 10 mega pixels in a DSLR.

Fourth, better low light capabilities with less picture noise.

Fifth, No hassle, or at least less hassle, split level shots. Too much of a pain working with any of the add on lenses and dealing with water filling in and leaking back out.

I just got back from another camera shop, where the clerk next to nothing, and took a look at the E-410. The thing is tiny and has the live view back panel- which the clerk assured me it did not until I showed him it did. This puts it up a notch, for me, from the D-40 and the XTI.

I'd like to find a better picture of the housing, but judging from the size of the camera I'm betting on the fact that the whole system would be no larger than my old 5050 setup.

I've been shooting still for a long time and there's just nothing that can capture a moment like a well composed still. Video is great for movement- like swimming with dolphins, but that shipwreck isn't going to go anywhere and you can grasp more of it's mystery with a photo than a video clip. Different mediums for different purposes.

A tech diving buddy of mine passed away last year- not from diving, but rather a mix of high blood pressure and age. He was at the forefront of trimix diving and video work in this area long before anyone else came along. His advice to me over 10 years ago was this; the two happiest days in the life of a videographer are the days he buys his setup and the day he sells it. He said that when he had a bunch of unedited footage sitting around he always felt guilty for not working on it. Even when he had it finished he knew there was always something more he could do. I've only made one, goofy, little video for you-tube so far and already there are a dozen things I'd do differently. I can imagine it only gets worse when your dealing with more of it for clients and other presentations.rofl

Jon

I'll volunteer my DSLR rationale - larger processor - way better images - less noise - better in low light/nat lighting much faster focus. With my S80 and wide angle the focus lag creates a lot of work - I have to very carefully track what I am shooting - which is almost always in motion - and basically hope for a good shot - composition is a much more complex affair involving projecting trajectories and behavior of the subject. It is nearly impossible to capture things as you see them. I do like the image quality on my S80 - it has a depth that I've not seen with other PandS type cameras - but an SLR would be better at everything I like this one for plus a good deal more. The idea of not having to wait for focus - and then the further lag of me pushing the shutter the rest of the way down - control of the shot would be so much better with an SLR.

PS - I'm in the process of trying to learn Final cut pro to do something with some of my videos. Holy crap!

Last edited:
I found a used housing for my D100. It's a Titan and it's only $800. But no port. So I called them to get a guestimate on a port for that housing. Only $900 for the dome port. I can't do $1700 for a housing. I'm not even wanting an Ikelite at ~$1200 with a port! I need to work overtime. Then decide which hobby to focus OT $ to.

I only mentioned the 860 because she has had it awhile and "wants to sell it". I knew it was more simple than what your looking for.

EDIT:
This is tempting too Aquatica D100 Housing and Camera

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT