• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dummies Guide to Rigging a Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
thanks, is there someway i could send an email of my instructions to you then prehaps all would be made clearer
thanks, i have tried to insert a image but nothing is happening

Is your gun the same as the one MrX has pictured?
If it is then we dont need to see the instructions because it will be rigged in the same way as virtually every other spear gun.
Dont worry about slip knots - you need to tie one end of your line to the little hole in the end of you spear & the other end to your guns muzzle.
You just need to make sure the line is the right length so when you spear is in the trigger the line runs up the barrel, back down to the line clip under the trigger & back up to the muzzle.
The best way is to use a bungee so the line is kept a little under tension.
I think the slip knot is to hep you get the line the right length but use a bungee instead.

well that is a lot clearer to, that slip knot got me confused, so here go's. another question would you know of anyone around my town of pembroke pembrokeshire wales that spear fish's

so what range should i be looking at to fire this gun came with 200cm of cord which is to long to go from the arrow once around the trigger mech and back to the top

OK as I dont live in England my Welsh Geography is not very good, why you dont put up a post on the link above? That is our only active Welsh thread but the members come from different parts!

Last edited:
so what range should i be looking at to fire this gun came with 200cm of cord which is to long to go from the arrow once around the trigger mech and back to the top
That's unusual but correct [see my next post].

Normally, the spearline attaches near the back (flat) end of the spear (as you have a ring that might be a little different, afraid I can't help you with that). Then the line goes up the barrel, alongside or on top of the spear, through the spear-hole in the muzzle. Then it goes around a notch/pin/hook in the muzzle and back down underneath the barrel towards the trigger. It then wraps around the spear-line release hook/tooth and then goes back up (underneath) the barrel a third time and attaches to the muzzle (either through a dedicated spear-line hole or attached to that big hole.

So range = gun length + 3 x barrel length of spear line + the length of the spear

Or roughly: 5 x barrel length + 40cm from your hand.

So for a 75cm gun, the range would normally be about 415cm or about 13' 7" in "old money" (feet & inches) from your hand.
And your spear-line length would normally be roughly 3x 75cm = 225cm.

However the above applies for normal rear-of-spear attachment. For slider/ring set-up, see my following post below.

Last edited:
Reactions: settingsteel
The Welsh (HEDs, TecgDave, etc.) or West Country (esp. Bristol) spearos sometimes visit Pembroke, so you might want to contact them. Check out the Pembroke/Gower/Ogmore thread & N. Wales threads. Actually, you can start a thread if you have questions (this little flurry of activity would have made a decent thread in its own right).

OK, good old Seac Sub have posted the instructions as a zipped PDF file on their website.

Translated version of http://www.seacsub.com/

Here is the relevant text:
Instructions for correct assembly of
the arrow speargun
The Arrow speargun comes equipped
with a 200 cm line to connect the shaft to
the muzzle of the speargun. This must be
Installed before using the Arrow arbalete
speargun for the first time.

The first step is to thread one end of the
line around the line holder on the shaft.
The line must be fastened by means of
a slipknot or any other type of knot that
secures the line properly (Drawing 1).
Once the knot has been secured, insert
the shaft through the muzzle until it fits
into the trigger mechanism system on the
handgrip.

Once this has been done, run the line
along the barrel until it reaches the line
releaser, running the line around it to
return to the muzzle. Insert the free end
of the line in the eye in the muzzle and
make another knot that secures the line to
the eye itself.

Use the knot to adjust the tension of the
line so that it lies close to the speargun
and hooked securely to the line releaser.
(Drawing 2).

The speargun is now ready to use.
Attention!
It. is. recommended. that. this. movement. be.
practiced. so. that. loading. the. Arrow. speargun.
becomes.a.simple.operation.

And the diagrams at the back explain it pretty well. The ring/slide sits outside the muzzle (obvious when you think about it!).

The line goes from slider/ring at the muzzle, down the barrel to the spear-line release, around that and back up to the muzzle, where it is attached. Simple. The spearline in this case is only 2x barrel length - so knock 75cm off my range estimates above. You should only need approx. 150/160cm of spear-line using that configuration.

The slip knot is essential to attach the spearline securely to the slider. A bungee is not required but, as Foxfish says, it would make the whole thing neater (by keeping tension in the spearline) and easier to rig (by allow the line to stretch over the line release during loading, as well as acting as a shock absorber.

Click onto the thumb-nail image below to expand it:

Attachments

• Seacsub Arrow.JPG
    Seacsub Arrow.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Help!!! I am new to all of this and am off to Dorset on Wednesday for what will hopefully be a start to my spearfishing career (after many false starts). My new Cressi-Sub Sioux 60 arrived yesterday for better or worse and it helpfully came with no instructions and what can best be described as shoelace. I have watched a video on Youtube and read this article and have a rough idea now of what I need to do but would appreciate some clarification. Can I just buy some Mono from my local fishing shop and if so what weight/size should I go for. I am happy about how to rig up a bungee but again any ideas on width length greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I doupt if anyone can explain in any more detail, how to rig your gun, than has already been explained in the opening pages of this thread!
However it must be said that a 60cm gun is very short & not very powerful to use against anything more than point blank range!
Bungee has several purposes but on a 60 is not strictly necessary, bungee types vary from hard rubber style to elastic stretchy style but they both aid in keeping the running line taut & neat & absorb the shock of the spear reaching the end of its tether when fired ( not an issue with a 60) & of course the bungee can help fight a big fish but again probably not an issue in England.
Mono is usually 1.5-2mm.
What exactly do you want to know?

I doupt if anyone can explain in any more detail, how to rig your gun, than has already been explained in the opening pages of this thread!
However it must be said that a 60cm gun is very short & not very powerful to use against anything more than point blank range!
Bungee has several purposes but on a 60 is not strictly necessary, bungee types vary from hard rubber style to elastic stretchy style but they both aid in keeping the running line taut & neat & absorb the shock of the spear reaching the end of its tether when fired ( not an issue with a 60) & of course the bungee can help fight a big fish but again probably not an issue in England.
Mono is usually 1.5-2mm.
What exactly do you want to know?

You have answered it Foxfish, 1.5-2mm mono it is, Like I said, I am fairly happy with what I need to do thanks to the info on the first page, I presume I can get mono from a fishing tackle shop that will do the job? I will dispense with the bungee on your advice and just go for the line. Point taken on the length of gun but I was advised elsewhere to go for something short due to general uk viz and being a beginner, we all have to start somewhere:) I will shortly be upgrading to one of those big 5 ft wooden guns with 15 oversized elastic bands:t

You have answered it Foxfish, 1.5-2mm mono it is, Like I said, I am fairly happy with what I need to do thanks to the info on the first page, I presume I can get mono from a fishing tackle shop that will do the job? I will dispense with the bungee on your advice and just go for the line. Point taken on the length of gun but I was advised elsewhere to go for something short due to general uk viz and being a beginner, we all have to start somewhere:) I will shortly be upgrading to one of those big 5 ft wooden guns with 15 oversized elastic bands:t
No need for the 5 ft for a while but a 75cm instead of the 60cm would probably be a better start...

Thanks Foxfish, I am under the pump time wise. I know what I need now so will have a shop around, thanks again for the advice. If it doesn't work I will have one of those kits off of you when I get back. By the way you don't know a local bobby called Stuart in Guernsey do you??

Last edited:
Luckily, I dont associate with the police to much mate! ;)
Jokes aside, it is possible as we are a close community but cant say I know the name.
You dont need mono either, standard nylon line will work fine.
The issue you might have is keeping the line tight so it stays in place, the stretch of a bungee helps this but if you tie the running line just right you will be OK.
If you have a boat chandlers near by you could buy bungee cord.
1.5mm mono might be available from a tackle shop but it is used more for commercial fishing!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT