• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dummies Guide to Rigging a Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I will have a shop around and see what I find, the bungee sounds a good idea so if I can do it I will. Stu does stuff with Outdoor Guernsey, I used to work with him in the big smoke before he escaped to paradise.

Quite a few tackle shops sell big game leader (not sure why.)
The one I use is ayaka made by mustard.
200lb=1.3mm
150lb=1.1mm
100lb=0.8mm
They cost £7, £6 and £5 respectively for 50m.
Currently I'm using the 100lb test as an experiment, but would recommend the 200lb for a first gun.
It is smooth, uv and saltwater resistant, I change my line twice year to be on the safe side but it would last a whole season without any problems, nicks and abrasions aside (always check your line after fishing when you can change it and not just before when you can't.)

Ps: most diving shops sell bungee cord.

Dave.

Thanks for all the advice. I managed to rig the gun today including a bungee which I agree makes for a good rig. I could not find any mono at short notice so used the nylon line provided but it seems fine. Also I could not find the crimps despite trying B&Q, Wickes and Screwfix so used simple knots and it seems good to me. I joined the bungee and line with a fishing swivel and all in all I am well pleased. I will let you know how I get on.

Good news then, besides crimps would not be of use with nylon anyway.

Hey great post! It was really helpful.

I have a question related to threading the line from the muzzle to the line release. My Rob Allen Gun came fully rigged, but the black mono-line isn't long enough to stretch down through the notch in the muzzle (picture in step 8a) where the line is intended to pass through, then make it down to the line release. It is about 3 cm short.

When the gun came, the line was rigged to the line release and I still can rig it, but it simply threads its way up the spear, then loops directly down towards the line release without going through the line-guide (small notch in the muzzel). If I go through the guide I end up short. Is it okay if the line doesn't go through this notch (guide)?

I hope that was clear, and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

sounds like you are missing a small bungee that connects the end of the mono to the gun. if you have just the mono, it wont work correctly. search for muzzle bungee. also: you DO need the mono to go through the little notch at the muzzle for it to deploy correctly. dont screw around, or cheap out on the mono, or you are likely to lose yor spear, sooner or later. and those cost alot more than new mono. i would say easily that the biggest problem of eqiupment failure related to spearguns is the mono breaking. it is interesting that: it is the cheapest thing by far to replace. i buy 250#, 300# and 400# black mono from the fishing supply for 20$ for 300 ft. buy the big pkg of crimps and you save as well. i now change the mono on my guns every few trips. and definately beforee each trip to shoot wahoo or mahi- as those spears and slip tips are very expensive to lose when the fish swims off with it. not to mention lost fish.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for all the help JTKWEST!
I need to buy a muzzle bungee it looks like. What the gun came with instead of a bungee is a thick nylon string, double looped, that connects the snap-clip to the muzzle. Any specific muzzle-bungee specifications I should look for, or is it pretty basic? Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help JTKWEST!
I need to buy a muzzle bungee it looks like. What the gun came with instead of a bungee is a thick nylon string, double looped, that connects the snap-clip to the muzzle. Any specific muzzle-bungee specifications I should look for, or is it pretty basic? Thanks again.

its not specific. any brand wil do. scubastore has everything really cheap. the shipping may be alot- depending on where you live. when you cut and re crimp the mono to fit, you may want to take it to someone with experience. it needs to be just tight enought to stretch the bungee just a little, to hold it in place. too much- and it may hang up the trigger a little or make it " pop" upon release- making an audible noise that may scare the fish or make them turn or whatever.- the point is- the line needs to be just tight enough, but not too tight. if you plan on spearfishing from now on- as a hobby or whatever, a great investment is a pair of crimpers. they have them at jcwhitney or harbor frieght for less than 10$ buy some mono and a pkg of copper crimps, total investment =less than 50$ and it would last an average spearo years and years ,(only lasts me about 3months,but thats another story) you COULD also make one, but thats tricky for a newbie. they only cost about 12$.

Joey, are you sure your spear-line is threaded correctly? RA are normally very good about such things. Also, 3cm is way too short for an RA bungee. BTW Which model did you get - the Sparid perhaps? - most (/all others?) come with a heavy-duty bungee with "big game" swivel & clip. Mono-filament usually has quite a lot of stretch in it, even without a bungee - but a bungee makes stretching the line easier & helps protect the spear-line when you catch a fish.

Hang-on though - you say you have a snap clip...the snap clip on RA is usually part of the bungee. Sounds like you just have some cord holding a clip to the muzzle - doesn't sound like RA - is this a used rail-gun, rather than new? Sounds like you could either replace the spear-line or maybe lengthen the cord holding the muzzle clip. A bungee is a good idea though.

RA 2mm Mako spear-line is very strong (400lb+?). Overkill for us in the UK but it last very well and withstands even quite major nicks and abrasions. For the UK, I usually aim to get 1.65-1.8mm monofilament -- the diameter (for abrasion resistance) is more important here because our fish are relatively modest; I certainly would not go down to 0.8mm - I've seen too many deep cuts and abrasions in my spear-lines (usually near the spear end). You get some big fish in Oz though, so perhaps the 2mm Mako line & big-game bungee will make sense for you.

In your part of the world Adrenaline in Australia or Ron's Corner in NZ can probably provide parts (Ron is an active forum member here, usually very helpful).

RE. bungees, I like the RA Bungee (other rail-gun companies - such as Rabitech/Make, Hammerhead, Pelaj - probably offer similar heavy duty products; Riffe too) but its quite heavy duty. Great if you must deal with big fish. However, with my Omer XXV lightweight rig that I use most currently, I prefer the very trim, cheap & cheerful Beuchat bungee - it uses smaller diameter rubber and the clip on this is much, much lighter-weight that the RA (a tad too light for my tastes) but in keeping with the lightweight gun & smaller fish concerned. I think the Omer & cool looking Imersion shock absorbers probably fall somewhere between the two extremes. apnea.co.uk and scubaland.fr both offer a range of bungees - or "shock absorbers" as they sometimes call them - from different suppliers. The Omer bungees look like good mid-size general purpose bungees. Shop around, you occasionally see bungees at ridiculously high prices, these are quite simple, consumable pieces of kit that should be relatively inexpensive; and you can make them yourself in various ways.

Last edited:
Just saw this bungee pop up on ebay, reduce heavy duty bungee (i've used the supplier before for bulk rubber & wishbone materials & found them good - your mileage may vary):

25% off - US $14.99 (free shipping in the USA too)
imgSale25.gif

!B+WcT1!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKpIEy+jCym1uBM+Wgj08o!~~_1.JPG

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250431187783&category=47353&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:US:SHOWI&emailtemplateid=28322968&sellerid=FpRekKD1aqAvUFG1fZ/JBw==&buyerid=FpRekKD1aqB4YnYkovzNdQ==&refid=store]SUPER SPEARGUN SHOCKCORD/BUNGEE WITH CORKSREW SWIVEL - eBay (item 250431187783 end time Dec-15-10 16:49:34 PST)[/ame]

Last edited:
I've tried understanding from here but I'm so confused - I've posted this plea in a couple of other areas on the forum - I have a Cressi Apache 75 cms. With it came a cord for attaching the spear to the gun - I've figured out where the cord goes now - but what's the best knot to use please?

Also, will this cord suffice for the short term or should I be using something else to attach the spears to the gun?

many thanks

Thanks for this - I've posted pics of my gun in the equipment section. Would you mind telling me what I need to buy exactly to change to the preferred method of attaching the spear and gun? I'd really appreciate any help - this is a very strange new world!

Hi Dave,
welcome to db.
Most people ditch the cord and use mono with crimps and a bungee.
If you follow the steps on page one of this thread you should be OK.

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
Hi Folks,

First post on the forum. Just got a commanche, but would have been lost without your guidance. Got her sorted now, gonna head out for a dip tomorrow....

Just wanted to say thanks for the instruction & taking the time to school over-eager newbies... fair play to yis!

What great information,, so yo leave your gun rigged with the mono test line and after the binge and clip you attach your spearing line from the reel, correct. I have not seen a close up of this or do you simply remove the bungee and run the line from your reel to the swivel that attaches to the mono line on your spear?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT