• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic apnea training while swimming

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kpk

Nov 8, 2004
I swim 2-3 times a week at a 25m pool. Can anyone tell me a beginers training program for dynamic apnea while I swim. I mean , I can't use fins and I can't move underwater (pool rules).
Now , I elongate the time between two breaths when I swim in free style. I do 5 moves for a breath , instead 3 moves a breath I did at the past. That for 100m. Can this help for dynamic apnea?
Can anyone helps with some training tips? I repeat : no fins , no underwater , only swim.

Thanks a lot

Try hypoxic pyramid:

25m crawl, breathing every stroke(i.e: left and right arm)
25m breathing every 2 strokes
25m 3 strokes
25m 4 strokes
25m 5 strokes
25m 4 strokes
25m 3 strokes
25m 2 strokes
25m every stroke

'They say' it's the best training when you can't do underwater nor use fins.

Another training is 1/2 lap (or whole, or 3/4) breathing, the rest holding breath (same distance as breathing) ,and repeat that for a number of times.

I'm sure there are lots more training tips from the rest of the forum ppl

PS: Does anybody knows about the safety of this training w/o partner? Must be done with a backstroke to avoid facil inmersion? What about doing breastroke w/ dry head? any ideas?

Last edited:
Blue Icarus had some good suggestions that should work with little or no BO danger.

Part of your training should be as close to the activity you are training for as you can get. In this case, long surface swims no breathing. Breath up like a normal dynamic and swim as close to the desired technique as you can get. Practicing dynamic no fins should work, it won't be very close for dwf. Very important: practicing this approach requires a buddy. This type of training can result in a BO; one on the surface can kill you just as dead as on the bottom. You can't expect life guards to be your spotter, just not reasonable in most cases. In the special case where you have interested guards, an almost empty pool and can involve the guards actively in your dynamic and recovery, then using guards as spotters might be ok. I am often in this situation, still not very good. Doing wet static, no spotter, and depending on guards in any case is, IMO, a dangerous practice.

Good luck,

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT