• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic - how much?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
I've been freediving for only about 2 months. I have got my static to between 3 and 3 and a half minutes, which I'm very pleased with. However, I can only do about 50 or 60m dynamic - should I be able to do more than this? To improve my dynamic, do you think it is more useful for me to practice statics or just swim lengths of the pool underwater?
All the best,
Tom.

With Dynamic, you are having to contend with the build up of lactic acid as well as a higher level of CO2 building up as you stay in a state of Apnea. I myself am going to have to begin my training for dynamic as well for next year (I actually plan to compete) - I don't look forward to doing dynamic laps, but in reality, each discipline requires specific training techniques.

To answer you question - practice the underwater laps - you'll build a higher tolerence to CO2 - and always remember to train with someone who is capable of rescuing you should you over do it and black out.

Good luck in your training.

OK Tom, I think 60M is good!! and why not try apnea walking!! it is "safe" way to train without having a buddy to watch over you all the time..

Dynamic

Your 3:00 in static coresponds with 60m you've done in the pool.
You have to improve your static. Then you'll be able to add some extra meters in Dynamic.
Remember to go slowly (1 m/s) at first and then (last 25m) you have to speed-up (to some 2 m/s). It is that slow part you want to extend and you can do it only when you can stay longer under the water (=better static).
The most important I think is to do some excercise with breathhold to better your CO2 tolerance. The best excercise for me is walking upstairs (2 stairs/step) in apnoe. My PB is 1:30 (7 floor) which is exactly the same time as I achieved while doing my PB in dynamic (100m = 1:29)

Thanks all

Thanks everybody! Your posts are really encouraging and helpful. All good advice - particularly the one about apnea walking - a good safe way to train for dynamic.
Thanks again,
all the best,
Tom.

misterlizard:
To improve my dynamic, do you think it is more useful for me to practice statics or just swim lengths of the pool underwater?

My thought is that a short static workout before dynamic training will make a significant change.

My second advise is to work on streamlining. The best way that worked for me is to try no-fins dynamics. This thread:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25669&highlight=dynamic+position
Helped me alot to get the right feel for streamlining, and even as important, to get the notion of how surprisingly far even a single motion could get you.

Hope this helps.

Hi misterlizard,
I think the best way to improve dynamics, is to do dynamics !
Doing laps underwater, ie less then max distance is a good idea to get your muscles used to lactic build up, CO2 tolerance etc. Specially if you are new to it, try 10 or 20 laps(don't have to be full ones) is a good workout.

I found I improved most by doing at least 1 maximum dynamic each training session. Yes you need a buddy for this. I warm up by doing negative breatholds, you can also use a normal static routine like Deep thought suggested.

For me it works best if I haven't done any laps before hand, you do get a pretty bad lactic burn from it though. Then after this or on a different night do more repetitive laps, less then your maximum.

I had no idea what distances I was able to do until I started trying for a big one at least every week. Earlier in the year I finally made a 100m. Did it a couple of times then thought I'd turn around and swim a bit... did 117m, then 125, 130, and my best was 144m.
I wouldn't have guessed I could make that distance. But you can only do this with a trained buddy, who must follow along side you
towards the end of your dynamic.

Dive Safe !
Wal

Stuff the rules.....

Oh yeh,

Don't worry to much about working out dynamics or depth based on what you can do on your static. They don't always correspond. I was on the Australian team in the pacific cup, and my depths really improved but my statics were lagging. So in the end I was by far the best depth diver, but my statics were the worst on the team ?!

The 1m/s rule doesn't work for me either I find that way to slow to be efficient for me. Specially in dynamics, I use really stiff fins though. I do start slower and speed up at the end like O'boy suggested works well for me. Also start with a flutter and switch to a dolphin kick.

Just try out different speeds/fins/kicks and see what works for you.

Cheers,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT