• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic practice when your not wet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi again all,
As part of my ..get fit again for diving.. routine im practising all I can statics on the bed, bit of weights etc etc. Alls going well back up to 4min statics but hit a bit of a platau (sp?) so might be a while till I hit the 5min I had last season, anyway a change of address has put me in the middle of a big city.. yippie lots of swimming pools I here you cry... true, four in fact Ive been to them all and lets put it this way, pool 1 visibility worse than the english channel, pool 2 kiddie pool complete with 50cm depth and pooping kids, pool 3 6m x 3m and only open when Im working pool four even worse vis than pool one and strange things floating on the surface!
Anyway i want to practice my dynamic apnea to improve my depth, comfort, spearfishing and down time. Whats the best way to mimick this on land? (think I might catch somthing from the pools!) Walking, jogging, stop start stuff, walking with weighted ankles, up and down stairs? (all in apnea of course) Any ideas tried and tested or whatever very welcome.
Cheers again for the help.
Joe

Fartlek breathing

I'm not sure I get any benefit from this, and I'm a little unsure it is safe, but I've not hit the pavement yet. While I run (jog, really, at my age) I do breath-hold intervals. Hold for 15 seconds (40 steps - easier to count), recover for 15 seconds, hold for 15 seconds. I do that for periods of 2-4 minutes, then jog with normal breathing for 2-3 minutes. It sure wears me out much faster than straight running, I can tell you that. I would imagine I am stimulating red blood cell production and probably increasing CO2 tolerance, but I can't prove it.

If you are in a big city, why not find an underwater hockey club.

Cheers for that, tried the hockey route, first off theres the pools... urghh :yack But also I have yet to find one, so anyone know of a Underwater Hockey club in Notts?

I live in the UK too and I want to know why are the pools in this country so rubbish? I have three pools within a 20 min drive and none of them have diving boards or a deep end deeper than 2m. Why don't they make pools with diving areas any more? They used to. Was it something to do with Mrs Thatcher?

I did my PADI confined water dives recently (screwed my back up, which is why I want to get into freediving) and whereas on the videos they showed the students playing around in 4m depths in a huge empty pool in Florida, we got to use a 1.5m deep (yes! 5ft!) tiny pool in a run-down holiday camp on Hayling Island. I guess the instructors didn't have any other pools open to them, but it still seemed a bit lacking.

And none of my local pools will allow you to use fins, and none of them have any snorkelling clubs or even have anything to do with it apart from teach kids.

Argh!!!!

Anyway, just fancied a rant. Sorry if I deviated from the thread topic. But what's the experience of other brits when it comes to using public pools for anything apart from "normal" toddler-dodging swimming?

Bryan

Tell me about it!
Anyway I dont know where you live but I found the best bet is to find a pool with a dedicated diving area, olympic if possible, theres one in Solihull, which is a trek for me from home (warwick or uni) At least these have a guarenteed depth of more than two metres. Only problem being you then have to pursuade the owners to let you use it in normal swimming times (takes some doing) and I doubt you will sneak your fins past them!
Anyway back to my original question, any more views/ideas?:p Joe

dynamic-apnea training...
breath-hold-walking is good as well the running I belive is good...
Do some imagination...or is it called visualization of deep dives and do some empty/neutral lung breath holds....
I noticed that when I had done some breath-hold walking it makes you much more comfortable when actually diving!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT