• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Elios Sub Suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just got my new elios 3mm suit w/ the gold lining. I think it's alot easier to get in and out of. I haven't tried it yet. In a couple of weeks I'll be using it for a week straight(hopefully at kk'03). I have a Henderson 5mm for scuba w/ the gold lining that I love. I tried my new suit on and liked the fit. I'll keep you posted.

Good point Peter,

Now I understand why all the freedivers smiles everyones in a while while diving ;-)

cheers,

-kimmo

Hello!

Now I have tried my new 6mm Gold coating/smothskin suit in very very cold water. 1 degee Celsius! (The ice left for a couple of days ago.)

I was in the water for 1 hour and my hands was freezing so I was forced to abort the diving then.

I use no soap to get my suit on and when I took it off, it was almost like glued on the body. No water had entered during the whole dive.

I wore double rubber belts to minimize water-leakage.

(Strange is that I did not have to do it.......:D)

Last edited:
Reactions: derelictp
Thanks

I have been looking for stuff like that, I assume that the gloves have smothskin inside against wrists...:)

Just returned from KK03 and I really liked Jay's suit(Elios). A word of caution however...be very careful with it, Jay will elaborate later Im sure;)

Peter,

The gloves have a double seal on them that that go on both sides of your wrist seal.
The inner glove is nylon on the palm and has gold -ining on the back of the hand.
They are very warm and have worked out well for us all winter long.
The index fingers are cut a little tighter than a normal 3-finger scuba mitt so that you can get them into a speargun trigger without any problem.

Jon

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I have tried such gloves once but one problem is to get into them, I managed to get into them after 10min struggle but my partner had to have my help but we almost failed anyway..:(

(These were nylon inside but double seal with skin)

Maybe soap and water works with hte gloves you use?

Do you have any tip or trick to get into them or do you have to have a person without gloves helping you??

I don't seem to have any problems getting into them.

I first fold the wrist seal on my wetsuit back before I try to put the mitt on.

Then, I slip one mitt on and fold the top wrist seal back.

Next, I fold my wetsuit wrist seal over the top of the inner mitt seal.

Finally, I fold the outer mitt seal over the wrist seal on my wetsuit.

The gloves have a biotermic lining on the inside and seem to slide on without much of a problem.

After I do my left glove I repeat the same with my right.

Hope that helps. If not, I could post some pictures.

Jon

Jon

That helps!

The difference is probably that the biotermic increase the glide on the hands.

I did excactly the same way as you described..

Thanks!

I'll post a new thread with pictures.

Jon

Eric Wrote :

Elios told me that they sell high density neoprene (Heiwa neoprene) in three densities. They actually don't promote yamamoto because of the huge buoyancy change & huge compressibility. I have samples of the heiwa neoprene and some is remarkable stretchy given the density.

I just ordered a new 3mm suit from TopSub. They offer over 100 different neoprenes but they're biggest seller is the Heiwa HD smoothskin / opencell. The sample seemed to have remarkable qualities.

They're also selling a new type of neoprene (XP) that someone is manufacturing exclusively for them. It is cooked in some special way and retains 100% of its elasicity over time. Unfortunately it's not yet available in high enough density to use at depth.

Al

Heiwa versus Yamamoto and different linings

Hello,

as I was a bit confused about the neoprene discussion, I asked Elios sub about the difference in linings and about the difference between Yamamoto and Heiwa neoprene. As others might have similar questions, I post the answer here. The Elios sub guys seem to be really friendly.

Cheers
Uli

Hello,
About your interest about some difference on linings, we can say that:
Nylon Standard, is a classic fabric with a percentage of elasticity
about 60% Nylon Elastic, is a new fabric with different work on nylon,
percentage of elasticity about 70% Lycra Lining, is a very resistent
lining, with bright colors, percentage of elasticity about 50% Kanoko
Elastic Lining is a new lining, is a double nylon woked for a better
resistence and good elasticty, Percentage about 70% NEW Supertrech
Nylon, is a ultra elastic fabric, Percentace of elasticity 85%

Normally, the best solutions for freediving
(elasticity-flexibility-slide in the water) is the nylon elastic and
Nylon superstrech because the comfort is more up than other materials.
Lycra and Kanoko is very used also for spearfishing suit, because are
more hard to cut and resistent, in any case the new Kanoko is the best
solution now (instead of Lycra) because is more elastic and stretch.
Nylon standard is normally used on Ecoline suit, not more expensive but
alwasy good.

Yamamoto versus Heiwa,
Both neoprene type is very very similar in the last stocks,
Both are very soft and elastic neoprene, (some time is very difficult to
know one from other)
In any case, normally there are two big differences:

Yamamoto is a very very soft neoprene, very elastic and comfortable, but
little more delicated and little more easy to less thickness in deep
diving. (some time the standard quality of Yamamoto neoprene is more
changeable)
The best product of Yamamoto is Unlined!

Heiwa is always soft and elastic but little more resistent against
compression and cutting (the surface of neoprene is high)
Normally the standard quality of stocks orders are more high.
Heiwa is the best also for Lined neoprene.

In any case, every stocks and every order could be different from others
and the quality can change more times (the production of neoprene not is
so easy but depend from Temperatures, umidity, wind etc...)
Infact we suggest always the best products of every factory, for
example:
Some time is better Heiwa (so we suggest to choose it)
Other time is better Yamamoto (so we suggest to choose it)
All depend from the quality combined with different kind of materials.

We have many costumers that want one model (for example Yamamoto) but
that time it no good, and they are not very happy with it,
So we suggest to listen our porpouse for choose the best quality in a
determinate time.

We hope to have helped you to choose your future suits.
If you want other informations or details, don't exitate to contact us.
Best regards

Reactions: w3ac and unirdna
3mm heiwa Elios a dream come true!

Last night, efattah and I went diving at Ansell Point. We bumped into Mandy training for her WR attempt (the CAFA nationals this weekend).... I was excited all day to dive with a custom 3mm and Fluid Goggles. The last time I had used Fluid Goggles was in the summer of 2001, but that was with a 5mm Picasso (off the rack).

Well.....

We haven't been line diving for months, just deep recreational dives in our 5mm Elios Yamamoto suits. First of all, it was a joy to put on the custom 3mm. Same fit as my 5mm, only a bit closer all around. The suit felt stronger--even as I pampered it with Yamamoto hands (force of habit). Given the water temperature on the surface, 17C and the cold down below, 6-8C, we figured we would be able to dive for an hour, and then finish by shivering.

Without a mask, I was in 'dive mode' right away. The surface swim to deep water was all the facial immersion I needed. With a shock, I realized as I swam, that I could feel the water coursing over my body through the suit!

The dives were ridiculously easy. I had to slow myself down because the descent was like quicksilver (I was falling behind on my equalising!). There's nothing like undulating downward with your arms outstretched, and no need to equalize a mask. And the ascent was equally enjoyable. I made several dives and managed to stay quite warm for an hour. I only wore a 3lb neck weight and it made all the difference.

So 3mm heiwa is: stronger than yamamoto, warm enough to enjoy a deep diving session in cool water, excellent fit, little buoyancy change (probably the most important benefit).

I intend to use it for the rest of the summer. :D

Pete
Vancouver, BC

My team mate and I just got new suits made. I went with Heiwa HD (3.5mm) and he chose Yamamoto (one 5mm and one 3mm).

His is soooooooft, whilst mine is more dense (but still pretty soft).

This main difference is in the robustness however.

Mine seems to be indestructible, whereas the first time he used the 3mm it ripped right up the front, and the first time he used the 5mm he managed to pull an arm off!!!

Al

Our Elios suits are Yamamoto 45 open cell inside, smooth skin outside. That is what I recommend for anything 4mm or thicker. You can also get this for 3mm, but you must be extremely careful. Otherwise, I would go for a 3mm yamamoto 45, smooth-skin outside, superstretch/lycra inside.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Hi,

Why must you be very careful with a 3mm please?

I am after a new suit for scuba diving. Can anyone recommend the Elios suits for scuba please? Thanks

Pete, chk the dates on this thread. 3 mil unlined is very fragile, requiring a lot of care to wear.

For scuba, Elios might make a reccomendation. Freediving suits generally and Elios in particular fit far far better than scuba suits and have far lesss water flushing through them. Other things being equal, its a MUCH warmer suit. However, freediving suits are generally made from rubber that compresses more than scuba suits,reducing the degree of warmth at depth, and some can get permanently compressed after much use. Picking a freediving suit for scuba is tricky. I'd ask Elios.

Thanks cdavis. I'll email them in the morning. I do like the look of their suits.

I have one, by far the best I've ever had. Its about 10 years old and still is in great shape, astonishing how well it fits.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT