• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Elios suit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

guy

May 2, 2003
OK, I give in. After being absolutely freezing all weekend I have decided to join the cult of Elios.

What would all the saltfreer's recommend for a suit for use at Chepstow (and similar), given that I am generally quite hard on equipment and will rip a really fragile one. I think it's going to be 7mm all year since it's always cold at depth.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks to Sam and everyone who turned up for another great weekend and a productive AGM.

Guy

I've been using an Elios suit (5mm medium density heiwa, super-stretch nylon with black shadow lining) in Dorothea for about 4 months - can't fault it. The black shadow lining is easier to get on than open-cell (still needs lube) and sticks just as well. The nylon outer is very tough - you'll need to give it some serious abuse to damage it - mine is still as good as new.

After 45mins it was starting to get a little chilly this weekend so 7mm at least for the top) is definitely recommended - although 5mm is fine for summer.

mine is 7ml heiwa with open cell inside and nylon coating outside

for chepstow I'd definitely say to get an outer coating as what with all the climbing in and out of landrovers and stuff, jumping onto the pontoon...

I don't think the 7ml is that much warmer than the 5ml but the Heiwa is a lot more comfortable than my Freedown suit - its more elastic and a softer neoprene so fits better

Sam

What the contact details for Elios ? I see a christmas present coming on.

Thanks all.

Have sent a message to Elios about getting a Heiwa 7mm suit then : ).

Will maybe look at some kind of lining so it can be put on dry - to stay warm before getting into the water.

I did use warm water and even added some of my own later ;)

Maybe just need to toughen up again. A few winter "heatingFree" Crystal Palace sessions should sort that out.

I guess you're not going to have that problem anymore. Apparently it gets really cold in Cyprus... NOT!

I'm sure the water will get cold in Cyprus - probably around 18 degrees at depth this time of year..... I might have to invest in a 3mm suit for the summer though - I think 27 degrees in a 5mm Elios suit might be a bit warm.....:D

I'm another Elios convert - I've just ordered a 5mm Heiwa open cell/smoothskin. Even for the pool!

Lucia

guy,

An inner lining will be more convenient to put on and warmer at first, but I think overall you will be much warmer if you have open cell on the inside. The open cell will keep you much warmer once in the water than nylon inside because it will seal like a second skin and virtually no water will come into your suit.

lee

Ok ok ok, I know this has been absolutely done to death in threads all over the forum, but i'm going absolutely mental trying to decide which Elios to get for when I start diving at Chepstow :head . Have decided on 5mm Heiwa, that part i've got to, but all my research on the inner/outer combinations has lead to a plethora of conflicting stories, not surprising really seeing as everyone is different. Elios have provided me about 6 options as well, including the new black mesh diamond outer.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what works best for them at Chepstow and what combinations they wear, but if anyone can answer my questions as well then that'd be sweet as well.

Question 1 - is there much difference in warmth between superstretch inner over the inner black lining?

Question 2 - I like the idea of having smoothskin outer - is there any particular reason why not having a lining would be bad at Chepstow? I've heard a couple of bits and pieces indicating that the suit might get ripped up due to the environment around (not ripping it when putting on)

Thanks in advance!

Ben

BennyB said:
Question 1 - is there much difference in warmth between superstretch inner over the inner black lining?

Question 2 - I like the idea of having smoothskin outer - is there any particular reason why not having a lining would be bad at Chepstow? I've heard a couple of bits and pieces indicating that the suit might get ripped up due to the environment around (not ripping it when putting on)

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Not sure where's Chepstow at, but, to answer the first question - open cell inside IS the warmest option.

Smoothskin outer is great if you are doing freediving only.

If you are going to spearfish in it, or have lots of rocks/mussles etc., you'd be much better off getting nylon outside (mesh would work too I think). With nylon lining outside, your suit will be much more durable and cut resistant.

I agree, keep things simple. Nylon outside, open cell inside. You will spend less money than with black lining or whatever and you will be warmer. You really don't want to tear your new suit in half, which will be a real possibility if you get smoothskin outside. Several of us up here just ordered our second set of Elios suits with the heiwa nylon/open cell combination. They are excellent.

smoothskin outer means you need to be very careful at Chepstow - I have that but I usually wear a long jacket and sometimes even a pair of waterproof trousers or a boiler suit over my wetsuit for travelling up and down to the lake as they take you up and down in ancient old landrovers with lots of sharp edges.

If you don't plan to compete or go too mad for depth, go with a nylon outer, it won't be quite as slick in the water or quite as warm in the winter but it will last you a lot longer.

Open cell inside is pretty much the ONLY way to go in our climate

Thanks for your input everyone.

The suit will be for freediving only. The easy part to decide is the inner, which seems to be unanimous that it should be open cell (Chepstow is in Wales and gets pretty cold - not sure but probably between 5-15 celcius winter to summer). I'm keen on the idea of smooth outer so will go with this and take glue and electrical tape with me everywhere, just in case.

Ok, that's sorted. Now for the 3mm.....

What do you al need suits for? I heard that if you eat air berries and meditate on the ever-expanding universe you keep toasty all the way to the bottom.

Reactions: naiad
daveking said:
I heard that if you eat air berries and meditate on the ever-expanding universe you keep toasty all the way to the bottom.
Eating air berries? Is that what packing is all about? I always thought it looked like eating air. :D

Hi Benny,

my new suit is already ordered at Elios:

7mm Heiwa, with black coating cell inside, black elastic nylon outside.

I also pondered the smoothskin outside option, but I want my suit to last a while and I will use it for recreational freediving so I don´t want to look out for sharp edges and rocks all the time.

The suit is supposed to be ready by mid-may and I am really looking forward to trying it out.

Wish you all the best !

Holger

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT