• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Emma and Sara's Excellent Freediving Adventures...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Adolphin:
" I can see sands that you are quit upset, in most cases even if the one of us stays for years in contact with another culture, he/she won't be realy understanding it enough, most of us wouldn't ask too many questions to try to understand the culture, instead we would try to interpret what's going on around us in the same way we learn a foriegn language by listening, although a very effective way for linguistics because we listen and talk as well (two way full interaction) but not effective in understanding a different culture since we don't realy immerse ourselves in that culture like being one."

Perhabs it could also be the other way arround. As foreiger to have a different upbringing, it's easyer to see the differences, and upon that start questioning the programming of the foreign culture, the past culture, the contemporairy and perhabs even one's own culture.
Perhabs one discovers that it's difficult being different, being aware, being an individual?

Hypocracy is indeed very anoying and childish, though it's hard not to be one in this utterly corrupted world. What's keeping grown man afraid of finding out where their consumptions are made, and made from? It's a brave man who dares to see past the thin plastic finnish.

Sands, I'm looking forward to Emma's article!
Thanks for al the nice photo's and words.

Kars

Kars,

As foreiger to have a different upbringing, it's easyer to see the differences, and upon that start questioning the programming of the foreign culture, the past culture, the contemporairy and perhabs even one's own culture.
This is possible too .. the thing is that it's unlikely, you see in theory it would be easier for the foreigner to see the differences, but to understand it, to know why and how exactely and the related matters, this is another thing, I've seen that in the vast majority of the cases even professional reseachers who will spend decades studying a culture will mostly end up mistaking the meanings, come on! even the sons and daughters of the culture sometimes misunderstand their own .. :)

Regarding Hypocracy, it's tempting and hard to deal with realy, but no excuse for being one, no excuse at all. Men have to be brave to be called men, women too .. :)

Adolphin, It's true that symbols and rituals have many different layers of understanding and meaning. Never the less it's created and shaped to serve the system. If the culture is not funtional to the system, or becomes obsolete than it will be abolished and replaced, like the native American cultures.

The local practice and custom is what people have to face everyday. The question is, can you tolerate, accept and sacrefice your freedom, to become socially accepted? And do the locals accept you really after you've jumped through all the hoops? Any group under stress, artificial stress or real, is in danger of being easily devided, and just like in business it's 'first in first out'.

As the local culture here is changing I find myself having more trouble facing the new heartles, careless, hollow, corrupt, indifferent attitudes. I find strength when I meet people who sense it too and likewise refuse to sell out.

I see people in the first place as an indiviual, perhabs that's why I find it easy to make contact. I quess I value the individual karakter much more than cultural systems.

I too whish the normal people to have more of a spine, carfully examin the question and consciously make their own choices.
A very important part of what makes us human is choice.

If your intrested in understanding culture creation, I can recomment Alan Watt's work. He has also many audio files where he expains this and much more. Cutting Through the Matrix with Alan Watt - Clearing the rubbish from the road to reality

For the sake of staying on topic I will limit my futer awsers to questions on topic :)

Sara, any news from Emma's article yet?

Last edited:
Kars,

If the culture is not funtional to the system, or becomes obsolete than it will be abolished and replaced, like the native American cultures.

This is true, and this is one way on how a culture changes over time, except that the native American culture is a bad example for this factor (change because of being obsolete), because the whole nation was replaced Kars (not an internal change here), vanished to the extremities ! reservations, the life is outside, it's a whole diffirent story my friend, and this is another way of changing a culture, killing and isolating the nation, so there will be no sufficiant numbers nor enough interactions to represent the culture, then if they want to go out of the reservations they have to memic the culture of the killer. There are life examples going on right now in the world, I don't want to go further into this point as I know it's not appealing to many.

As the local culture here is changing I find myself having more trouble facing the new heartles, careless, hollow, corrupt, indifferent attitudes. I find strength when I meet people who sense it too and likewise refuse to sell out.

So are you suggesting that being heartful, careful, meaningful, incorrupted and concerned person is obsolete in your culture for being infunctional qualities ?! ofcourse not!! that proves there are many other reasons that drive people of one culture to change their values and therefore their culture, many of which are not good reasons at all, not genuine, not practical, and needs not to be followed .. :) .. yes don't sell out, you diserve as well as all humans being, well, being Humans .. :)

I see people in the first place as an indiviual, perhabs that's why I find it easy to make contact. I quess I value the individual karakter much more than cultural systems.

Indeed, after all there is no such a thing as a "culture" in the outside! it's a logical term that our brilliant minds as human create to discripe the sum of individuals interacting with each others (to be more acurate, it wont be "individuals" which is again a creation of the mind, but rather Kars, Adel, Sara .. etc etc) so yes, generalizing is never the right way of dealing with people, each one of us is a reality that has to be respected and dealt with as such, this is in my opinion is the only right way to -at least- begin with .. :)

Yes, choice .. and all mechanisms and inherited qualities that make us Humans able to choose. this is the most important thing I agree. This is why it's the most attacked element into our personality by "THEM".

The link is interesting, couldn't read much yet, I'll have to read a lot before I can give an opinion, many people may pose sooo many right points but mix them with wrong ones, and in some cases as you know it rendered the whole mixture as wrong .. no my friend I didn't give my opinion right now, not yet .. ;)

Sorry for my poor english, I know there are terms much more meaningful to be used here to deliver the meaning .. and yes let's go back to the subject, Sara has so many lovely things to show about the extraordinery experience that we went through this winter, it's a good chance for me to thank her for arranging those freediving courses in Dubai,in a very professional way, and letting us after all hold our breaths as she promised .. :) .. thanks Sara .. :inlove

Emma's article is beautifull, gives a nice overview of the Dubai setting and (euh) 'local' culture. Looks like Dubai becomes the next New York.

I'm happy ro read that you both had a bussy and good time being two beautiful ambasedeurs for freediving.

Mercy!

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT