• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

empty lung static

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Erik,

I can't confirm the easy in which the empty lung static goes but looking at it in total, it is more comfortable. I did use it to get back on track in Ibiza, my static was totally off in the week of the WC. The last two days I did train with empty lungs and it did wonders. Afterwards the feeling for static was completly back.

But I have one question, I do my empty lungs static with 15 reverse packs and ofcourse no hyperventilation, so my lungs are almost completly empty. I prefer doing them in the pool with 2 buddies for safety. I haven't tried doing it with a normal exhail and I can't read you using the reverse packs. What difference will there be, theoretically speaken. (not in time, but more on the medicalside).

We sometimes do the empty lungs static (with the reversed packs) on the bottom of the pool (4m - 12feet), just to get used to the pressure. This is one of my favourite ones, sadly after a minut of bottomtime I need to get back up.

Greetings and keep breathing,

'mad' Pim

(my nickname slowly submerged from the fact that I'm the only one in our group that like's doing empty lungs static) :D

pim, welcome to deeperblue,

i dont think your the only one that likes doing empty lung statics, i am one of the people who enjoy them more then regular statics.
i usually just breath deeply for a minute or 2 and then do an emty lung static. then do a 2 minute rest, empty static ect.

my best is only 1:10 :naughty

anyway i enjoy them more then regular statics because during a regular static i just get bored after about 1:30 then i just cant think of anything except how boring it is just sitting there and then i think about my lungs and it all goes down the drain.

does anyone here have/had similar problems. any ideas on how to get over it? the only way i find is if someone is talking to me and its something i really enjoy and dont know much about (ie. im learning something) science class seems to be the only time that this is an option.

i know that your suppose to clear your mind but i have a very hard time doing that, sometime i try to visualize stuff (usually a blank sphere) but that only seems to work some of the time.

another thing i noticed the other day... i usually play a tape when i do dry statics (not very often, usually only 2-3 minutes not pushing it, you get the idea) i have been using the same songs for about 6 months. then the other day one of the songs on my tape came up on the radio while i was going to toronto about a minute into the song my friend said something to me and when i went to respon i noticed that it had been a while since i had taken a breath. is this kind of like Pavollis experiment? ring the bell with food ect.
has this happened to anyone else,

sorry for the long post,

Vince, some of the Frenchmen play chess or checkers in the pool while doing PB attempts in training. If you can't clear your mind, then maybe read a comic or recite the words to a song in your head, or name all the kids in your class, the next class, etc, to distract you. You have touched on something that stops a lot of people from seriously training at static: boredom. The other thing is that it takes a LOT of effort, mentally and physically to get through an hour of yoga, then an hour of static training with sambas, and contractions etc.
Bonsieur (sp?),
Erik Y.

My question still stands from last time?

But I have one question, I do my empty lungs static with 15 reverse packs and ofcourse no hyperventilation, so my lungs are almost completly empty. I prefer doing them in the pool with 2 buddies for safety. I haven't tried doing it with a normal exhale and I can't read you using the reverse packs. What difference will there be, theoretically speaken. (not in time, but more on the medicalside).

The difference between normal (but maximum) exhale and the exhale with 15 reverse packs is large. I find the difference in pressure on the torso when diving to the bottom of the pool resonable large. Also equalizing is more difficult.

Thanks for the answers,

Pim

empty lungs and "poor blood"

Hi,

in some of your replays you've mentioned "poor blood" or "bad blood" - the ability not to stay in apnea for longer time with empty lungs. Does anyone have any idea how to rise up this time - any specific trainning, exercise ?

Thanks
Vojteh

times

I've been doing times like 45" to 1', but I think I haven't found proper breath-up for these empties yet :confused:

Got to keep on training. Mostly still full-lung things.

j

empty lung statics are greatly enjoyable even though i sometimes get contractions that is enjoyable also.

So I was doing some empty-lung training on my couch (trying to think of anything but how much I needed air) and the thought came to me that I wonder what happens to your lungs inside when you empty-lung it, and especially if you un-pack air first. At least when I do it it seems to create a vacuum inside the lungs, which made me wonder if that because suction on the skin makes a hickey, what does suction inside the lungs do? Especially with the lungs being so delicate with all those capillaries?
Could it be potentially harmful? Could you fill your lugs with blood in an extreme case??
Just food for thought and wondering if anybody has any medical/physiological knowledge about it...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT