• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Euro gun accuracy problem (kinda long)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If ur Sporasub guns are new and have shot erratic out of the box in original band config, and still erratic after removing the shooting line, and again still erratic after removal of the flopper......return the gun to the dealer.

U guys did not mention what all over the place mean. At 2.5 meters if u can still shoot in a 3 inch circle, I guess it is OK, not accurate but OK. Don't expect pinpoint hole to hole accuracy from a speargun....tough.

A stiffer shaft must surely able to help cause as others have mentioned, shaft whip is so easy on 6.35mm shaft. If that shaft that come as standard is made of 304 or 316 stainless and not 17-4 spring stainless steel, those are soft stainless. Take a magnet, if it doesn't stick at all it is 304 or 316. 17-4 will stick a bit. 304 and 316 is just too soft and retain bend very easy.

Again good luck.

Sprasub Gun

I target practicing by shooting urchins which I put on the sand just off one of our beaches. If I lie on the bottom and shoot, the spear should penetrate the sand at the same angle it left the gun. Instead it takes a nosedive a when it hits the sand (well below the sea-urchin) it even flicks up and the end of the spear ends up pointing to the surface. I have three other euro guns and can hit the urchins from far away with all of them.Has anyone got a sniper that fires straight.:head :head :confused:

Shane,

Sounds like a sever muzzle kicking up or shaft whipping. Sorry.
Look for another Sporasub owner. Now we have 2, if all three shoot bad, I suppose it is BAD. Get another brand.

GS,
I'll back Sven on the single 20mm band and the riffe/euro shaft. If you're going to buy another band anyway. W/ that set up you'll have plenty of power to nail anything that swims in front of you. Don't get caught up in the more is better. When I lived in the Keys the 20mm band/6.5-7mm shaft combo worked well, still does up here in NC. you can also still use your original wishbones w/ the riffe shaft.
Jay

Guys, I want to thank you all for all of your help. I re-rigged the gun with the thinner 250 pound line and fixed the upward bending flopper tip. I will see if I can do a little target practicing in my grandfather's pool before next weekend. I was going to put the second band on because 1) that is what my brother wanted and it is his gun & 2) because I didn't think you could put on thicker bands on this gun since it came stock with 16 mm bands and I didn't know if the little threaded ends on the thicker band would screw into the muzzle. The muzzle seems to be aligned properly and the barrel of this gun is made out of carbon so I don't think that it is flexing under the power of a single 16 mm band. I would much rather have one 20 mm band rather than two 16 mm bands because I could reload the gun much faster if needed. What type of 20 mm band would you guys recommend i.e. brand? :confused: I am really new to this euro gun thing so forgive me for my ignorance. I am going to have to get my own big gun pretty soon though. Maybe by Christmas I can scrounge up enough $$$ to buy a RA. I really hated using all of my gun money and then some but it was for the greater good since I can now crank up the motor and look for fish rather than swim forever from a beach just to find tiny fish or get hassled by people.

Esclapez and Omer both make 20mm bands w/ 16mm threaded ends. From my own experience I'd recommend the 20mm MegaBooster from Esclapez. It's what I use on all my guns except my 75cm, on that I use a 18mm Omer Power band.
Jay

Nice getting excited about the little stuff, huh?:cool:

Regardless of the material that the barrel is made of, wood, aluminum, titanium, carbon, old diapers, AFTER making sure the thing is pointed away from ANYONE , load the thing up and with a straightedge or string check to see if the barrel has developed a bow when loaded. Unload it, gently , take a breath, give a little thanks and go from there.

Carbon is cool stuff but it seems to be the latest (?) thing to intrude into diving, ie; the EXTREME thing... extreme this, extreme that. It's fine and good, but it's not the panacea (look it up :hmm )for everything that needs strength and stiffness. That grey stuff betwixt (eh, Stephan, eh? :t ) your ears is the greatest tool in keeping things on the straight and narrow.

sven

Sven, I checked for bending in the barrel while loaded like you suggested and it was perfectly straight. I couldn't agree with you more about the carbon hype now making it out to be the best thing for barrel material. I personally would have gone with the weaker aluminum barrel on this gun since I know a lot about the weaknesses of materials like carbon and graphite. We mostly plan on spearfishing the reefs around here and they can very easily chip the carbon barrel causing a weak point. I hope that I already got most of the kinks out of this gun by making those changes. Oh and by the way, about panacea I didn't have to look it up. LOL @ the karma thing!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT