• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

European Union Consultation – Including ban on use of projectiles .

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For God's sake,SHUSH!!! This is a big threat for all of us.

I can't believe that after only one year from the CE 1559/2007 set of rules, they're already dismantling the common regulations. :head
Is this....a joke?
Spaghetti, we're counting on the support of fellow spearos in the EU and around the world.

"...bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
- Dylan Thomas​

I've written to a couple of people/places concerned. I think it would useful if others do too. You will find this website useful for contacting all of your MEPs at once or your MP:

BTW it's worth writing to your MP(/MEPs) at least once in your life. Turns out mine is excellent but my brother's is "part of the problem, not the solution" - he'll be making a special effort to vote next time.

By the way, this might also be a time to remove the archaic rule that allows the sale of rod caught fish but not speared fish. I personally have no interest in selling fish but I think the rules for rod & spear should be the same.

Last edited:
Yes let's ban spearfishing which has a massive impact on fish stocks but keep the old trawling and dredging in place which is nice....Perhaps we could introduce dynamiting and more gill-netting too to fill the void left by the nasty spearfishermen! I will email the appropriate response but I do despair! Bunch of idiot jobsworths who have never even seen the coast underwater....:confused:

roflThe Umberto Peluzzi Freediving Manual traces freediving in Europe back to a (Greek?) sponge fisherman that helped the Italian Navy recover an anchor in exchange for being allowed to fish with dynamite! :head

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking this will affect us the same way in Ireland? If so, what action would anyone suggest that we can take?

Am I right in thinking this will affect us the same way in Ireland? If so, what action would anyone suggest that we can take?

Yes, it would apply to Ireland.
Contact your MP, MEPs and the Government department that deals with fisheries, quoting the technical conservation measures review
This applies to all of Europe except the Mediteranean, Baltic and Black Sea

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Spear fishing clearly does not fit into the category "Destructive fishing practice" (it's impact is the same as rod angling, or less). The other forms mentioned (explosive, poisons) do fit the description, as they are indiscriminate with severe and broad environment impact, while spearing does not, being extremely discriminating & with negligible environmental impact. Hard to see why they'd put spearing in there, especially while they condone rod fishing, handlining, trawling, trolling, dredging, etc.

Also, it seems like most/much spearing gear is still designed & made in the EU, & some in the Commonwealth, unlike angling gear which seems to come mainly from China these days.

Last edited:
I have sent my e-mail too
I'm a Vet so I deal with DEFRA officers/Vets regularly and I can tell you their reputation is of "coffee drinkers and work as little as possible".I put all initials after my name so they can see that also vets enjoy this sport!!
Please continue e-mailing ,if they have a massive reply ,they are so lazy that most likely the will abandon the idea of carrying on.
I am really angry,I cannot understand what inconvinience we do to anybody,why they keep threatening???
Anyway Thanks for let us know Rab .
I ve used SurfnSpear template + more comments
Cesar

Reactions: Mr. X
Come on guys, lets sort this out. Get those emails sent. As has been said, try to send a copy to as many relevent recipients as possible.

Cheers,

Huw.

I'm curious to know what or if the BSA are doing? Any feedback from anyone in the know?

Also think outside the box, ie. I have contacted BASC (British Association for Shooting and Conservation) as I am a member and spearfishing is technically a cousin of the land based/casting sports. They also swing a lot of weight in political circles....anyone a member of the CLA? etc. etc...you get the idea, just write your email in terms that remove the rights of one hunting sport and you weaken them all.

Yes good point. So that people are aware, I was informed last week, (informally) and have had various discussions since then. CMAS have been contacted, and an e-mail of the proposed legislation copied to them. I have been informed that I as the secretary of the BSA have been 'added' to a list of those due to be consulted, as off yet I have received nothing. I am hoping to speak to someone at DEFRA tommorow to seek some clarification as to how and why this has come about, and there views on the matter. I will post as and when I have more information. Sorry I cannot add any more at this time I only know what everyone else here on deeperblue does. I should say that we will be infoming French, Spanish and Portuguse contacts and federations.

Kev (secretary BSA)

Kev, how about a Facebook group? It spreads like wildfire...
Create a 'BSA' account, add the details etc. and you get instant worldwide exposure.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any suggestions? ideas?

As said I will contact DEFRA tommorow and see what they have to say, I will post as soon as I have some news.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm sure this is just an ill thought out attempt to tidy up some "bit" of paperwork and justify somebodies job. Please keep us informed as you can, obviously we appreciate you sometimes need to keep some things under your hat as it were.

If it is an attempt to ban spearfishing then perhaps it would be an idea to get the manufactures on board too so DEFRA could get an idea of the possible financial affect this could have if it became a Europe wide issue

Reactions: apneaboy
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT