• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

exhalation on the ascend?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Definitely not for somebody like Tuboludo with no tuition, no buddy and some.... questionable ideas about physiology etc.

Yeah, I don’t think either that I should start experimenting with these ”new” techniques when I am diving alone. I should stick with the techniques that has worked just fine for me for many, many years. All though I could consider cutting down on my breathing techniques before a dive, trying to keep it down to one breath!

And just so there are no misunderstandings. Packing on its own has nothing to do with blackouts, right? It’s just a bit more air into the lungs?!

And once again, Thank you so much guys for all the information and advices!

:inloveLearning all the time :blackeye

Last edited:
I've read up on the breath up thingy. Decided I should just try and see the difference. Conclusion is. With just doing relaxed belly breathing, followed up by 1 big relaxed inhale -> relaxed exhale (fully) -> final breath I have better performances than doing any type of other breathups.

I've read up on the breath up thingy. Decided I should just try and see the difference. Conclusion is. With just doing relaxed belly breathing, followed up by 1 big relaxed inhale -> relaxed exhale (fully) -> final breath I have better performances than doing any type of other breathups.

This is how I will try doing it on my next dives and then see how it goes (bottom time etc.) Right now the water temperature is 0.0 and – 0,4 degrees (32 - 31 degrees Fahrenheit) in the area where I usually go diving. We are having a hard winter at the moment here in Denmark. They say that temperatures might start rising again tomorrow. We shall see. One thing is for sure, when the water is this cold; it won’t be spending long time in the ocean if it hasn’t frozen up on me?!

For sure you won’t be seeing me with a hammer trying to break the ice

Uhhhhhh….. :D

(guess I should try find some time going to Tenerife where the water is about 20 degrees at the moment - 68 degrees Fahrenheit)

Last edited:
Ugh.. good thing I moved to Bonaire where water is always 25-29C :p Not to speak of the easy entry points to the sea everywhere and the insanely quick drop offs (no boats needed for whatever depth).

Ugh.. good thing I moved to Bonaire where water is always 25-29C :p Not to speak of the easy entry points to the sea everywhere and the insanely quick drop offs (no boats needed for whatever depth).

You Lucky You :inlove

usually release air only after surface.
But I found this topic very interesting and as we all look for improvement I have some question that might be interesting for the thought.

Some weeks ago while following the vertical blue I noticed that molchanov, the deepest cwt guy, do not release air in the last meters of ascending. He probably uses a considerable amount of air for equalisation and when he returns his lung is not full as it was, which might mitigate the risk of vacume effect.

I was wondering if any of the experienced freedivers here have any comment on the release of air in the last meters even when the freediver uses a considerable amount of air for equalisation. Is there yet any risk of vacume effect?
If the answer is no.
What would be the amount of equalisation capable of neutralize a reasonable amount of packing in order to avoid the called vacume effect?
Tks!

Some freedivers DON'T pack - However, I do, but not that much... IF YOU PACK you should release some air before breaking the surface IMO - Now, I can tell you what I do and I am sure a shit-storm will hit me, but I have been doing this for years and I am not going to change my ways - NOR will I reply to the SHIT-STORM (when you die, you die, and what better place to die than in the ocean?!) ---- Here is what I do: half a meter before breaking the surface I begin to empty my lungs - so much so that I am ready to take a big breath the moment I break the surface ----- THEN HOLD YOUR BREATH FOR A GOOD 10 SECONDS - empty again and big inhale with a little packing - again hold breath... and I then I do it one more time..... WHY? Your breathing after the dive is just as important as your breathing before the dive... WHY? Well, if you are only going to do ONE dive, then it doesn't matter, but if you are going to do several dives IT MATTERS if you want to be ready for another dive 4 minutes later and you like to have continuously good dives ---- (I do spearfishing too, so many dives on the same day...)

Here comes the SHIT STORM :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So I just edited this very fast - from my freediving this afternoon... Enjoy!

Here's my shit storm - I have no direct experience with what you are doing tuboludo - but I think any effect you might have at the surface in the the moments after surfacing will be long gone and not have any influence at all after 4 minutes of a relaxed breath up. Your inhaling and packing and holding might effect your immediate recovery, but after 4 minutes those effects will be long gone. But if you like what you are doing and you believe it gives you a better dive experience - then go for it.

I know many freedivers who practice this technique and some who teaches this technique, so... And in my experience, my dives improve when using this technique (only a few years ago I didn't use this technique and now I won't let go of it).... But like you said (in other words here) >>>> Whatever floats your boat :)

Here's my shit storm - I have no direct experience with what you are doing tuboludo - but I think any effect you might have at the surface in the the moments after surfacing will be long gone and not have any influence at all after 4 minutes of a relaxed breath up. Your inhaling and packing and holding might effect your immediate recovery, but after 4 minutes those effects will be long gone. But if you like what you are doing and you believe it gives you a better dive experience - then go for it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT