• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism G2

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
View attachment 39289

I finally got the parts for making the Orca2 fairings today. It always takes longer than expected to bring a new product to market, but this is the final hurdle in getting to the initial production run for the Orca2. While waiting for these critical parts, I've been putting a lot of time on the prototypes lately. Each time I swim the Orca2, it impresses me. I'm really liking this monofin. I hope you all will be as impressed with the Orca2 as I have been. :)

I feel bad for those folks over there on the Lunocet thread, with their broken monofins and epic long waits to receive their hardware. I'm starting to wonder if they will ever get anything. I hope they do, but it would not be the first time a 'too good to be true' project just falls apart leaving customers with nothing.

Please help spread the word that I have X-20 monofins that are on sale for essentially the same price as the 2015 Pros (taking into account the cost of shoes). I can ship without delays. The X-20s have been around for for several years and have well established performance and durability. I can personally vouch that the X-20 is a much better performing monofin than either of the 2014 Lunocet models, and strongly suspect it will be better than the 2015 model as well.

I confess a picture fail -busy at work - I'll work on in tomorrow. But let me chime in and say - these Orcas DO NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.
We've been quibbling a bit about the footstrap setup - but there are no hardware failures - ever. The fins absolutely work - are very efficient and do not break.

I'll be taking more pictures as I complete new production units, but here is a picture of the first Orca2 prototype next to my Orca1 from the 2012 World Championships. Sorry about the water spots on the fin blade. The Orca2 is new, but I had attached a concept fin blade from the X-22 project and didn't wipe it clean before taking the pictures.

IMG_2917.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: noa and Ichthys
I'll be taking more pictures as I complete new production units, but here is a picture of the first Orca2 prototype next to my Orca1 from the 2012 World Championships. Sorry about the water spots on the fin blade. The Orca2 is new, but I attached on a concept fin blade from the X-22 project and didn't wipe it clean before taking the pictures.

View attachment 39290

Here it is under my Spheras :)

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 200
I'll be taking more pictures as I complete new production units, but here is a picture of the first Orca2 prototype next to my Orca1 from the 2012 World Championships. Sorry about the water spots on the fin blade. The Orca2 is new, but I had attached a concept fin blade from the X-22 project and didn't wipe it clean before taking the pictures.

View attachment 39290
I have no idea how they work in the water, but I can say is that these fins look like business. Impressive...

Fondue, how many heads do you have? or is that just a sphera fetish?

They only ever developed some bi fin prototypes. There is a video along with an article in a French magazine showing the merits of the fin. The creator was looking for investment, never found any and apparently abandoned the project in
http://www.plongeur.com/magazine/2010/01/13/palmes-sous-marine-innovation-a-ailes/

And yeah, your site could very well do with an overhaul : ) it certainly does little justice to your amazing products...

I did some consulting with the developer of these fins: http://www.tecreationdev.com/maxair.php

I am actually a co-inventor on the patent application for the fin shown on the cover page, but I have no financial stake or potential gain in the product. This is similar to palmaile bi-fin concept (multi-blade latus), but the mechanism is a more conventional flexing fins kind of design.

View attachment 39289

I can personally vouch that the X-20 is a much better performing monofin than either of the 2014 Lunocet models, and I suspect it will be better performing than the 2015 model as well.

I can vouch for that too. :)

If the only thing the 2015 fixed is the flex then your suspicions are probably on the mark too.

Hi lil Jon,
Do I remember right that you have both an X20 and an original 2013 Lunocet ?
Although I have not tried it, I do believe that the first Lunocet with the smaller fin must be fairly inefficient. How do you compare your two fins ?

I think lilJon had/has what people are referring to as the 2014 Lunocet Classic. The confusing part is that, IMO, the Classic has a large enough wing. The added surface area of the Pro's fin should be unnecessary if the fin is working against the water anywhere near it's potential to move water. I think the 2014 Classic has more surface area than the X-20's fin blade and it, therefore, should be able to produce enough thrust.

Something is going wonky, but with out a detailed analysis of the system, it would be hard to speculate exactly what is going wrong. What ever it is, the result seems to be a lack of performance and unhappy customers.

Last edited:
I think lilJon had/has what people are referring to as the 2014 Lunocet Classic. The confusing part is that, IMO, the Classic has a large enough wing. The added surface area of the Pro's fin should be unnecessary if the fin is working against the water anywhere near it's potential to move water. I think the 2014 Classic has more surface area than the X-20's fin blade and it, therefore, should be able to produce enough thrust.

Something is going wonky, but with out a detailed analysis of the system, it would be hard to speculate exactly what is going wrong. What ever it is, the result seems to be a lack of performance and unhappy customers.
I think you're taking some liberties there, Revan. Your fin may very well be more efficient than a Lunocet. I wouldn't argue that one way or the other until I get a chance to have a contest with Fondueset. ;) On the other hand it is my overall impression that Ciamillo's unhappy customers aren't unhappy because of his product, but because he makes promises on delivery dates that he can't keep. In the ongoing wait for my Lunocet 2015 Pro (coming up on 2 months), I've read everything I can find on the Lunocet fins, and I believe I can only recall ever reading of one person who claimed to have a Lunocet and didn't like it.

Would you say you're unhappy with your Lunacet, lilJon?

To be fair, I never did read of a reason/justification for the Lunocet's move from a wing design to a dolphin-like fluke, other than the attractive sales pitch for "bio-mimetic propulsion". Always wondered why he made such a drastic change. Myself I went for the 2015 Pro because I felt that whatever Experimental Aquatics was trying to accomplish with the classic design involved a higher effort/propulsion ratio than I was interested in, and anyway my 6'2" frame may justify something a little bigger.

Anyway, I love the direction your Orca is taking, despite my aesthetic reservations to strapping a blade to my feet when everything else swimming in the ocean is using a fin, and I continue to look on with a great deal of interest (since there's not much else I can do at the moment!!). Just trying to help keep things on the level.

Reactions: noa and Kars
:p Reading back on it I think that bit about aesthetic reservations sounds like a burn, I really didn't mean for it it to come across that way--the truth is I automatically hated the design the first time I saw it for no reason other than aesthetics, but I'm slowly warming up to it because of all of the positive stuff I hear and the great swimming videos.

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT