• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism G2

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How many others watching this thread are interested in the Pilot SR-1 fins?
Pilot_SR1_1.png

Pilot_SR1_2.png

IMG_4940.JPG

Do you have a certain price point in mind Ron? I know it will depend on volume, so maybe a min/max.

Do you have a certain price point in mind Ron? I know it will depend on volume, so maybe a min/max.
I haven't done a detailed cost breakdown, but it is made similar to the Pilot monofin, same frame concept and shoes. It will probably be fairly close in price; so figure in the $500 to $650 price range, but it could be a little better if there is enough volume.

How easy would it be to split those fins into two parts so that they fit into a suitcase?

How easy would it be to split those fins into two parts so that they fit into a suitcase?
With the Pilot SR-1 fins, two screws removes the last hydropanel, which makes the fin about the same length as a pair of scuba fins. That can fit in a large suitcase. Removing a few more screws, will separate the fin blade from the frame. Then the parts are small enough to fit into a carry-on suitcase. It's hard to travel and do any diving from a carry-on though, so I don't know how useful that will actually be.

Last edited:
I'm seeing more and more freediving videos that include divers using Dol-fins. Latest vid on Many Summers profile, amazing diver, dives with somebody using a Dol-fin.

Check out the rotor blades on this new Airbus helicopter. It reminds me a bit of the DOL-Fin blades with their raked fin tips. There are a lot of freedivers in France. Any chance someone at Airbus was inspired by the monofin blade? :D

Here is a picture of me and one of my buddies diving in a Swedish lake. Thanks Linus for the picture. For me it's the premiere of line diving with the Orca.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: REVAN
After 3 CWT sessions with the Orca in swedish water (5mm suit and multiple dives to 40m where the bottom limit the dives) I draw some conclusions:

-I do not lack thrust at any part of the dive (This only my gut feeling but looking at the dive-time I may benefit from a bigger blade at 0-10m (down) and 40-25m (up)
-The float is working excellent
-my divetimes for a 40m dive in competition pace used to be about 1:20, I do very relaxed dive @1:35 and when I go at what I feel should be competition speed it takes 1:25-1:30.
-Even in CWT the Orca outperforms any fin I have used (O2 consumption /vs depth) but not that much as in DYN where it's approx 10-15%

I have recently ordered a 34" blade and it will be very interesting to try agains my 30". (I thought 32" would be to little difference...)
I am also curious about trying different stiffness of the suspension which I also intend to do. The Orca is in my opinion excellent at cruising speeds 0,8-1,3m/s but there may be a hidden potential in further optimization of the suspension so that the blade can not be overpowered. Think about a counterforce that always puts the blade in the optimal angle of attack for maximum forward "vektor". Of course this is impossible to reach but it is something to strive for.

I sure Ron have been thinking much about this and probably the Orca already does this for cruising speeds. Anyway I belive a hydrofoil solution have the potential to close the gap to finswimming speed and 1 thing is probably blade size but the suspension system have to match.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Last edited:
1st tests 34" blade:

-Thrust - yes significant increase and demands higher suspension resistance. The DYN session it felt to stiff at hard setting but at the CWT session I overkicked it some at soft setting and the new suspension parts has settled after several dives to the bottom of 41m. It may now be spot on at hard setting. Will try next dive.

-Handeling i DYN- not much difference even in the turns (probably because of training with the 30" blade I have found a good method) . The only downside is that it takes space.

Handeling in Open Water - It is a significant difference when changing direction in open water.
For CWT line diving, no issues at all

Sprinting / higher force input- It feels more stable and forgiving to uneven kicks is my first feeling. (Maybe logic....)

The feeling is that I get very clean and powerful strokes with the bigger blade and I belive this is the blade I'm gonna prefer for highest performance. I do think that a 32" blade would be a very good option, maybe optimum. I recommend 32" blade to those who wants to maximize performance for CWT or DYN. In fact even the 34" blade is less demanding power-input wise than a conventional monofin is my opinion.

There bigger blades IS harder to handle but if you want to do bigger dives at reef walls and just cruise in open water it's no problem at all.

In general I have tried some Hyperfins and even a pair of Alemanni bifins to keep benchmarking the Orca.

The hyperfins I tried did not came near the Orca but the fins had to little angle for me and was to stiff. A PERFECT TUNED hyperfin would be interesting to compare, I may have the oportunity this summer..

The famous Alemanni supersoft bifins is really a very very good bifin. I would say they beat the conventional Hyper monofins I tried lately. The angle and stiffness suits me perfect.
Even if the Alemanni performs very very well they do not really come near the Orca for performance. Approx. a little more than 10% in DYN.

I highly recommend the Alemanni though if you looking for high performance bifins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dario Marini
Interested in the maneuverability issue. My fin has a 29.5 inch blade (its a prototype) and is much more maneuverable than a traditional mono. For reef crawling, what I do mostly, that is very important. I can spearfish with it. I've tried an Orca2 and found it much more powerful and more efficient than my fin, did not notice any difference in agility, don't remember the blade width.

Are you saying that there is a noticeable difference in agility, maneuverability of the 34 vs 32 inch blades? That would be an issue for general reef diving?

Interested in the maneuverability issue. My fin has a 29.5 inch blade (its a prototype) and is much more maneuverable than a traditional mono. For reef crawling, what I do mostly, that is very important. I can spearfish with it. I've tried an Orca2 and found it much more powerful and more efficient than my fin, did not notice any difference in agility, don't remember the blade width.

Are you saying that there is a noticeable difference in agility, maneuverability of the 34 vs 32 inch blades? That would be an issue for general reef diving?

I was not intending to say it's an issue but there is more torque when I rotate with the 34" blade vs my original 30" blade. I have not tried a 32" blade but offcourse it also creates more resistance to rotating than a 29,5 inch blade.
Most difference is when the speed is low or zero. When you have the speed you can use it to rotate and it will go somooth. For example a turn in the pool I begin to spin with speed and It's no problem at all. The difference is when you dont have the speed momentum.

when I get to the States in a couple months, I'll definitely order one. It'll be my first mono. :)

BTW, what is the strange snorkel in this clip ?

Update on testing 34" blade:

Several sessions testing DYN performance at the 2 different suspension settings vs the 30" blade leads to the conlusion that

-At the hard setting the 34" blade is approx 5-10% less effective than the 30" blade at soft suspension. There is no doubt for me that I prefer the 30" blade with soft suspension.

-At the soft setting the 34" blade I had 4 of my easiest 100m DYN ever ( did 100m laps). It was in a 50m pool though and most of my DYN is done in 25m pool. The 34" blade favours slower strokes than 30". My laps where at relaxed pace and timed to 1:33, 1:30, 1:29, 1:31. I belive I'm slightly faster with the 34" blade at soft setting vs 30"/soft setting.

In DYN, it's not obvious which configuration is the most effective but the 34" with soft suspension is at least as efficient. I belive it's slightly more effective after proving I can go 100m laps without getting in the hypoxic struggle. Normal for me with 30" blade is the 85-90 range with the same feeling (25m pool).

My earlier statement that I need a stiffer suspension is wrong for DYN. In CWT and high speed DYN I will (to get the optimum) probably need something between soft and hard setting. From now I will use the soft setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dario Marini
My earlier statement that I need a stiffer suspension is wrong for DYN. In CWT and high speed DYN I will (to get the optimum) probably need something between soft and hard setting. From now I will use the soft setting.
The stiffness setting is primarily a biometric setting relating to ankle range of motion. When the optimum angle is found, it probably won't change for you regardless of the size fin blade used or the fin position setting. The only reason I can think of for changing the setting is if your ankle range of motion changes.

If you really need to get a setting between the two detents in the delta strakes, you could file the '8' shaped holes into ovals and you can set the strakes where you want. Of course, you'll have to take care to get both sides set the same as you won't have the detents to align them any more. I had considered making the holes ovals, but decided to use the detents to make it harder for customers to set it up with uneven alignment.

Last edited:
I think it's wise to keep the '8' shaped holes. Mayby deliver 2 sets of delta strakes with the '8' positioned different or 1 with a hole positioned in the middle position of the '8'.

Is it relevant to be able to have different stiffness for different diverweight and applications ? Maybe different stiffness in the rubber straps will make it...

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT