• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Dolfinism

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Spearo,

A binding strap becoming disconnected during a dive just does not make any sense. Velcro is extremely reliable. There is no other fastener system that has the same degree of built in redundancy. For it to actually become disconnected there must be something very very wrong with the fit and/or how you are fastening the Velcro system (wrong like more than 90% of it was not being used). Even then, it should only come loose because your foot will still be in the loop. It should only take a few seconds to reach down and pull it tight again.

Will you please uplink a close-up photo to the DOL-Fin Information Exchange thread of your feet fastened into the fin with the straps applied the way you have been using them. Also, please provide a description of the situation/event with as much detail of how the strap became disconnected as you can. This sounds like another teachable moment that should be covered with other training information, so lets cover this in the other thread where it can be more easily found by others who may be looking for training info.

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
FYI - I will be doing some training at the Culver City Pool near LA California on Monday 21st with some of my DOL-Fin models. Others are welcome to join in and check them out. I expect to be there from about 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Ron

They BROKE!!!!!

Well after 6 weeks they broke. Oh man! VERY VERY luckily I was not on my ASCENT from a deep dive but I was on my breath up and only treading water when they just snapped. After only 6 weeks there is a major problem and I would suggest a recall on all units, similar to how car companies will recall for safety issues, this is a major issue with it snapping and can easily cost a life. Anyway, what to do? I am overseas......I think i brought some GORILLA GLUE with me....would it work if it use it on this? What are my options on this at this point? These fins are not inexpensive and I'd consider a refund on it.

Attachments

• break0.jpg
    break0.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 163
  • break.jpg
    break.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 156
  • break1.jpg
    break1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 149
Last time I was in the blue hole I dove with no neck weight. I was neutral at 15m and maintained very slight undulations to keep the fin behind me. My first time down there it was a real problem - I kept getting sideways in the water even with my neck weight - which is only about 2.5lbs. The fin I used then was much lighter but got negative at depth and wanted to pass me.

The neck weight also helps shift your center forward a little in horizontal swims - which is helpful in power transfer.

Sea snakes, manatees & crocs lack dorsal fins, they spin axially to breathe or drown prey or manuever in tight places.
Dolphins, sharks, pelagic fish have dorsal fins, they don't spin axially (except above the water surface).

If I had a monofin, I'd wear a helmet-neck weight-dorsal fin combo, adjustable height (like a swordfish dorsal fin), to allow axial spinning and alternatively non-spinning locomotion.
:)

Sideways movement is equivalent to axial spinning, 90 degrees precessionally to direct forward movement. Force forward requires axial stabilization for highest efficiency, thus the large dorsal fin in fast aquatic foragers.

Prognathic midface & keeled skull & long scalp hair & dense occiput = hydrodynamic mask & flattened top & dorsal fin & neck weight

Simple hydrodynamics. Complicated but very cool fashion statement. I'd paint blue flames on my helmet!

;)

Last edited:
I feel there is a cover up of my BROKEN DOLFINS

after my recent post then all these immaterial posts to bring to a new page.

to refresh the memory:
Well after 6 weeks they broke. Oh man! VERY VERY luckily I was not on my ASCENT from a deep dive but I was on my breath up and only treading water when they just snapped. After only 6 weeks there is a major problem and I would suggest a recall on all units, similar to how car companies will recall for safety issues, this is a major issue with it snapping and can easily cost a life. Anyway, what to do? I am overseas......I think i brought some GORILLA GLUE with me....would it work if it use it on this? What are my options on this at this point? These fins are not inexpensive and I'd consider a refund on it.

Attachments

• break.jpg
    break.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 150
  • break0.jpg
    break0.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 150
  • break1.jpg
    break1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 149
Perhaps let a few days to Ron to reply. I am sure he can send you a spare replacement part so that you can fix it without gluing (I doubt the glued part would last long).

I'm sure Ron will make it right.

I've had two monofins fail. One just fell completely apart - the other the blade snapped right in half at the toes. (neither was a dol-fin)

Last edited:
Such is the nature of beta-testing. Everything is great until it isn't any more; and then you fix it.

That base-plate is toast. Please do not try to glue it back together. It will not work and it will destroy valuable engineering data. I would like to inspect the fracture to determine the nature of the failure. This is a new failure mode that I have not seen in over 5 years of testing that design. So, I would like to see if there was something unique to the unit you have that made it susceptible to the failure.

What will be helpful is if you could cut the strut off of the base-plate with a saw and mail the 2 pieces back to me. Cut it clear of the fiberglass reinforcement, but you can keep the pieces small so they can fit in an envelope.

Can you please tell me if there were any signs of the formation of a crack when you performed the pre-dive inspection? Do you recall any change in the feel of the fin prior to the tab breaking? How hard were you kicking the fin when it broke? Did it break when stroking the fin forward (fin against the stops), or back?

Ron

PS - Sorry about the delay, but I've not had the opportunity to get on-line regularly the last 2 weeks. Why do these things happen while I'm on travel?

Last edited:
I should be able to mail this back to you within the week and it should arrive late December. Too bad because there are some upcomin freediving meets in the Philippines after the first of the year and one magazine journalist in particular will be here in January so it can be an opportunity to get your DOL-fins for others to see. I am a close and active student of the premier non-AIDA freedive trainer in the country, named Wolfgang, and regularly come into contact with top freedivers and spearos. So if I could get another baseplate I could resume my DOL-fin open-water training and introducing throughout 2011.

Ok Let me look at it now on the other side that is not cracked, which is a mirror image of the other side. Well first of all where it cracked it is on underside, which is very hard to see since is runs along the inside corner of the strut. but i do see the molding was perhaps Sewn together ther bonding the edges as evident from a buldge as shown the picture and is EXACTLY where the other side broke on that bond!

So it appears the engineering in this is not as advanced as one would assume a month the aerospace industry. It needs to be changed to allow for more accepted TORQUE on the strut's edges. Otherwise with the type of calf-press stroke I was doing while vertically treading water this currently engineered structure won't likely last.

Attachments

• side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 170
  • side1b.jpg
    side1b.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 168
So it appears the engineering in this is not as advanced as one would assume a month the aerospace industry.

It is unfortunate that you have had initial difficulties swimming with your DOL-fin, and now have broken it. However, I would just like to take this opportunity to give REVAN major kudos for having the patience and fortitude to deal with your snide remarks and fairly regular bashing of his product THAT YOU ARE BETA TESTING FOR HIM whenever something doesn't go as you expected. I'm very impressed with his self control, and clearly it is a very helpful trait to have as an owner of a successful business.

It is understandable to be disappointed that your new monofin didn't instantly give you super merman freediving skills, and now frustrated that it can't withstand unlimited amounts of stresses. Clearly you were expecting perfection... in a product THAT YOU ARE BETA TESTING.

Please be aware that any new product will require multiple iterations to find design flaws, construction process challenges, and general design optimization. Sure, if Boeing or Northrop Grumman put ten million dollars into 100-man design study they might be able to converge on an stronger and more efficient design a bit quicker but you know what, that product would still require a period of BETA TESTING, and you wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Design evaluation, constructive criticism, and suggestions for product improvement are expected of people who are beta testing a product. Thanks for your contributions in these areas. However, your unrealistic expectations of perfection, snide remarks and product bashing are not helpful, and make you look like a jerk.

Reactions: Jon and Fondueset
@ BaconFly.....Look i never bashed the DolFins.

Sure it took me a few weeks to even dive with them properly but after that i really have gotten used to diving with them daily and enjoyed it. Just look at my posts... my frustration was trying for myself to get 'em to work for me not in bashing the DolFins.

If you prefer a forum or a world where one will keep only flowery comments of praise and kudos then go to north korea or to a communist state where one can't enjoy the freedoms of free speech and writing. Ultimately it is the thinking of people like you that lead to a fundamental collapse in a free republic such as in the USA, which is developing too many rules and regulations in governance and social standards (such as the TSA and other police forces) that command the respect of citizens. Such is the state of your thinking, big brother.

Further, I have paid for the DolFins and have not gotten them for free. I Have produced a journal of my experience and offer input in my own way and want these DolFins to be perfect for not only me but for others. So, if you think Pampering will help in a finished product then surely you don't see that perfection is forged under hard conditions, tempered with fire and pressure.

Please don't disrespect Ron in even suggesting he can't handle a few posts from one customer, which represents only a micro fraction of any real concern in the outside business world. Even if one, such as yourself, takes my posts in a negative way as to test their patience and fortitude then one really has little self control.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT