• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eyes ZAPPED!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
Just to let you know that I finally had my eyes lasered on Friday and now I can SEE!!

I had a minus 6.5 prescription so it was a close call whether they could do it or not - but a few hours later I had better than 20 20 vision and still do... eyes are a bit tired and night vision is a little hazy but all is well...

biggest bummer is I can't go in the pool for 4 weeks or dive for 8.. but hey that's not a bad excuse at this time of year!

SEE you all soon!

Sam

yah hey... brilliant news. Glad it went well Sam.

D x

Great to hear Sam. My brother reported the exact same when he got his done - eyes a bit tired for a couple of days and his night vision wasn't too great for about a week. But that was about 3 years ago and no complaints from him so far!

Looking forward to getting mine done at some point, but until then i'll have to stick to diving with the contacts.

Cheers,
Ben

The things people do to avoid diving in the cold...

Glad it a went well Sam, you didn't think to ask for one eye adjusted for underwater vision ?

Hi Sam,

good to hear, that it went so well.

How much is to much in this case ? I have about -9 on both eyes, unfortunately.

best wishes
Holger

My girlfriend had the surgery done and they screwed it up. She couldn't read for nearly a year (under any conditions, since the shape of her corneas were now screwed up, no glasses nor contacts could correct her vision). After a year they tried to fix the screw up and eventually managed.

I had mine done 7 years ago, I was a -6, and it has worked out very well for me.

At the time I had it done I was scared as hell to let someone cut open my eye and start burning things off, but I found a doctor whom I really trusted- he was one state over and it cost me about $400 more than having it done close to home.

The day I had it done he had two olympic athletes in there getting there eyes done as well. There was even a film crew there to do a story on one of the olympians having the surgery. In the end the set the cameras up on me so that they could be ready for the athlete's surgery which was going to happen next. As soon as he finshed I could see better than I ever had in my life. I got up to walk into the next room ,with many anxious people waiting, and I pretended to walk into the wall.rofl Doctor thought it was funny and I freaked everyone else out in the place. Of course I was fine and after a couple of months out of the water I was back diving again.

Back when I had mine done it cost me $4,400. I've since seen it much cheaper, but I never felt bad about paying it since I was so nervous and my docotor had a good reputation. Things like camping, swimming, biking, and skiing have never been easier.

Jon

Hey Glam Sam ...
Now we'll know when you get that weekend double vision it really is the vodka :friday. Glad you're rocking babe!
x

Reactions: naiad
ooh, i dont think i would get laser eye surgery. some retard nurse did it wrong and did some weird crap to my cousin's eyes and now he's partly blind, but cant stand any light whatsoever. jeez i would be too scared to get it.

but congradulations none the less :p

NICE to hear it, Sam! I had mine done in July, with one touch-up in October and another in a week or two. Glad to hear you got it done! Was it all-laser or the razor kind? So happy for you!

Congrats, Sam! :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

What's a few week? Seems well worth it!

Ofer :)

I had Ultra Lasik Wavefront treatment with Iris Recognition - whatever all that means (basically it cost a load of money and removed less tissue than some of the cheaper options).

They cut a flap on the top of the eye, flip it open, zap your cornea a few times with a laser and then close it up. All pretty simple sounding!

anyhow it went really well, one week on vision is still better than 20.20 and only problem at all is that my eyes are a bit dry - but then they always were with contact lenses. Roll on Friday when I no longer have to sleep in my crazy-frog eye guards!

S

Wow Sam!

You should do something ceremonial with your old glasses like take them down to 40M and release them into the abyss!

:)

Glad to hear it went well and take you're time to recover!
Warm greetings out of cold Zurich
Pat

;)

How long do you have to wear the funny glasses? Is it all day or just at night? The dryness will go away, Sam. My eyes were really dry with contacts, and it took awhile for the moisture to come back after the surgery. It's just wonderful now.
I'm going in for another touch-up soon. I think those are worse than the actual procedure because you know what to expect. The surgery does sound kind of scary; even having been through it, it still seems scary, but it's so worth it. My surgeon has a glass vase so that patients can donate their old glasses/contacts to people who need them.

I gave my glasses to someone in Africa - well they had a collection box so I left them there.
Got to wear the funny glasses at night for two weeks but that's nearly over now.
Its not scary - go for it if you are thinking about it. The scariest thing is the money involved......

Reactions: jimdoe2you
Very true. I take it you're pleased with the results :D. It just gets better, Sam. It's been six months and I'm still amazed at waking up and being able to see in the morning.

Just found this thread (not surfing through Saltfree much :t ) I had mine done (Lasik) in 2001. -6.5 in both eyes to almost perfect.

woudl do it again in a heardbeat. very happy customer.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT