• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

F.I.T. vs. Performance Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Never thought I'd see the day when this hallowed meeting place would become so...umm...uncomfortable. So, my observations are as follows:

I've been a teacher, a corporate trainer, an office manager, a Hooters girl, a flight attendant, a university teaching assistant, an administrative assistant, an underwater crime scene investigator, a futon maker, a sales clerk, and so on and so forth. I've acted as an instructor in many of the aforementioned occupations. There were always a couple of people in each environment that just didn't have all the pieces to complete the puzzle we were working on at the time. As an instructor, it was my job to see if everyone was following along. If someone wasn't keeping up, I'd back up and try to assist them...during class time. However, if issues continued to arise with a person who was not advancing, I would have to weigh whether or not it was worth holding up the entire class to address ONE person's issues. Oftentimes, it was not. If the majority were "getting it," and if the minority were not...logic would dictate that I would continue with my class. Not everyone wants to be slowed down or held back during class, simply to be sure someone else "gets it." There are all sorts of reasons that someone may not "get it." If I were training an investigator or a flight attendant, then "getting it" was imperative to ensuring we all were in a safe environment in the long run. Since safey is a necessity, well...I'd have to address the person after class to see what could be done to help them "get it." I cannot tell you the number of times the things that were holding them back had nothing to do with the material being taught/learned. It was most likely due to some deep-seated issues (e.g. family, friends, health, mental, external stress, yada, yada). Until that person learned how to separate the different parts of their personal lives from the classroom, NOTHING would get through to them to make a difference in their learning experience. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons FIT (and probably PFI) offers one-on-one training for those who want it. Some people need more attention than others, right? Some issues take more than what can be offered in a group-learning environment. Anyway...

I love freediving. FIT introduced me to freediving. The people I've met through my freediving endeavors are people I'll never forget as long as I live. We all come from such different backgrounds, and would probably never cross paths...were it not for freediving. We all support each other, encourage each other, and regale each other with all sorts of tales--freediving-related and not. I've had my good days and my bad days. Hell, in LIII, I didn't beat my personal depth best...and it didn't bother me one bit. The skills I learned need to be mastered. I didn't expect anyone else to hold my hand and pat me on the back. I laughed at myself, as I realized that "sometimes you get the bear; other times, the bear gets you."

Peace and warm thoughts,
Billie

Reactions: fcallagy
First, I am a Divemaster and soon to be instructor. I've had my share of dealing with poor instructors. I left one shop to go to another because the previous shop was so bad.

As for your comment on my jealousy, I'm not jealous. My point was look at the bright side, you've traveled to Florida and Hawaii in the same year to freedive.

How many people were in the advanced class with you? How many were in the Level II class.

Why did they stop returning your calls? What was the nature of your calls? What were your demands upon them? Were they unreasonable? You STILL have not come forth with facts or proof. You wish to have the fact held private which means even YOU do not believe in them. Even YOU know they were unreasonable. YOU know that they would not hold up under public view. If you feel that a struggling person get more attention than accelerating students, then you are cheating the accelerating student from progressing as far as they could have.

It's not about gossip, it's about the truth. You chose to state that FIT had many issues and were not professional. I have seen nothing but professionalism. It's not longer about weather FIT is good or bad, it's about your integrity as a critic. When a person looks at OPINION, they have to consider if the source is reliable or not. You have not proven yourself to be a reliable source.

I have to unsubscribe to this thread, there is now communicating logically with an illogical person.

Billie, I have to say I'm with Fergus on that one!

Woah.. Chillax you guys.

DeeDee, I don't see why you said (in your first post) Martin copied PFI's system. Martin came up with the course that PFI is using. He designed it. However I agree with you that it is unprofessional of them not to return your calls after so long.

I also agree with IL Diver. You haven't really given any proof, thus you aren't a reliable source. But IL Diver, you're getting a bit too emotional about this, I think. You must a good reason, maybe?

My uncle told me something yesterday that I think is relevant. He said, 'no one is perfect', we were talking about instructors. I believe both PFI and FIT have their issues, but nevertheless are good schools.

Reactions: Whopperhead
Billie!!
Hooters girl?? Who would have thought!!

so you can all start drooling Tony, Simon and Fergus - not only is billie passionate about freediving - she also must be a super hottie 'cuz she worked at hottie central - and they say the hooters in florida has the most competition. :martial

so you boys can dream on rofl

(total respect to you Billie btw)

and IL Diver and DeeDee thank you for sharing your opinions - it's the dynamic dialogue of DB that makes it a great place to be - no harm no foul, everyone's got their own POV.

cheers,

kp

Y'all are too funny! Just when I think things are getting really nitty-gritty on this thread, you start in with the Hooters jokes! Ahhh...many moons ago...

Seriously, there have been some really valid points made on here. I think the main consensus is that only good can come of taking a formal freediving course. The safety that is taught is definitely worth the cost of the class, right?

The other thing that has been demonstrated on this thread is that opinions are like _____________; everyone has one!

:cool:

Seriously, where the hooters pictures? ;)

I don't know that anyone ripped off anyone else's teaching systems, but the diving styles of FIT and PFI seem to be pretty similar when you compare them to other courses out there- like Apnea Academy, the Solomon's and others.

Just an observation.

Jon

The other thing that has been demonstrated on this thread is that opinions are like _____________; everyone has one!

:cool:[/quote]

Opinions are like_______? Ohhh! I get it. I don't have one of those. My wife has one though. She says he goes diving too much.:)

Reactions: Jon

:cool:

Opinions are like_______? Ohhh! I get it. I don't have one of those. My wife has one though. She says he goes diving too much.:)[/quote]

Or, as the other saying goes; "Just because you HAVE one, doesn't mean you have to BE one!"

Todd

I have never taken any other class than FIT but I was in the same class DeeDee took and thought it was great. The pace is fast, you have to be focused and ready to learn, not everyone can pass it the first time but it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to not only improve as a freediver but most importantly learn how to not kill yourself doing it!

After reading apena queen's criticism, and after her generosity in sharing her impeccable qualifications with us all, I have 100% confidence in the FITT freedive training program and it's instructors.
I would also like to take this opportunity to state, unequivocally, that I am perfect.

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone mentioning worshipping. (false gods???huh??) You are talking like a child.
DeeDee, I'm probably not smart enough to have an intelligent conversation with either you or Chris or probably the majority of the members here on DB,but a person like myself with just average intelligence can see that you have some serious personal issues. In the following quote you mention dysfunctional behavior. I happen to know a little bit about dysfunction. Someone much smarter than me came up with the saying "People in glass houses should not throw stones." I think you are way out of line, and I usually try to keep my bias neutral, but this time, I cannot.

In closing,many times those we seek to love and support are in fact their own worst enemies and blinded by our feelings we justify dysfunctional behavior and choose not to see what is in front of our eyes,carefully study htat which you defend and you may see the shine may wear off All the Best-I / We are not all perfect DeeDee
To me, freediving is about letting go of all your personal bullshit and just enjoying the sea, mother nature, the company of others. I hang out sometimes on deeper blue to be with like minded people. Like you have said in your second post, "We are all not perfect". Cut the crap DeeDee and quit trying to be perfect. Try this on... JUST BE....
If you respond to this and expect a retalliation from me you will not get one. Life is way to short and I choose to not waste anymore energy on something so negative and petty. I genuinely wish you the best of everything. Send me a PM if you wish.
Tony

I've been following ALL of this and I for one (two actually) would be absolutely THRILLED to take either class...Like "apneaboy" said "send me to both classes and I'll critique them for you"....I'm with HIM! :)

I'm sure BOTH are classes are "money well spent"...

(Edited by Adrian - getting too personal!)

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT