• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Family Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The dog

Couldn't forget the dog, Zeagle , who has spent more time swimming laps in the hole during ice dives than some of the instructors I've worked with.;)

She also does a pretty good job of retrieving the drift ball and can climb back up the dive ladder with it when she's out on the charterboat. She does have this nasty habit of trying to "save" me when ever I go freediving. She has dragged me back to shore more than once.

Oh yeah, she's also partial to my daughter and very protective of her as well.

Jon

Last edited:
THAT, is pretty darn cool Don!:cool:

How old was she when you first let her shoot?

BTW: My wife got a kick out of your second daughter, "me too".;)

Jon

That was her first shot! I tried to get her too earlier, but she didn't want to hurt the fish. Then my wife shot one, so she decided to try it. Now she hooked.
don

My wife got a kick out of your second daughter, "me too".

Thanks.
She was pretty proud of herself. She said, “dad get the camera!” When she found out about the state putting her older sister on their web page, she said in a real sad voice, “daddy why doesn’t the state want my picture on their web site?”

I tried to explain that she was a little young yet and her fish couldn't count, because I helped her hold the gun. She didn't understand very well.
don

Re: Father-in-law

Originally posted by Jon
Besides owning a dive shop, and a couple of charter boats
he happens to spend more time down at DESCO (Sven will know what that is;) )
Jon

You are a grade A dog! :inlove

(And is it the DESCO gentlemen's club or the Divers Entering Sewer Culvert Openings group? :t ) I hold cards in both orgs. :king

He does it all, except the freediving bit. He doesn't mind when I do it, like when he dropped the boat hook while tying up to a wreck this past weekend and I just popped down to get it, but he doesn't want to do it himself.

We have surveyed a few of the water intake, and outflow, pipes in Lake Michigan. It's amazing how big a water intake is for a city. We have two of them and they were recently expanded upon- ever since we had that crypto problem a couple of years back. ;)

Besides DESCO, Milwaukee is also home to Global Manufacturing. Most tec-divers will know who that is if they have their own blending set up. Plus, we also have Divesite, which makes RX dive masks and swim goggles. Not to bad for being stuck in hte middle of the country.

BTW: Max Knoll did some of the first experimental trimix dives in Lake Michigan back in 1937, to a depth of 437'.

I always like to add in a few details like that since everyone only thinks that diving takes place in Florida or California. That reminds me, PADI actually started just south of me, in Chicago, back in 1966.

When I posted that picture I was surprised to get both negative and positive karma. I guess you can't please everybody.:duh

Jon

Reactions: donmoore
Don:

In reference to your question about clearing, I can offer some experience in certifying kids age 10 and up with SCUBA (I know little about freediving). As far as the equalizing itself goes, the kids I have taught pretty much mirror the adult population in ability. I have seen those that cannot seem to do it no matter what to those who effortlessly equalize with a swallow, and all points in between. Most of them, like most adults, need to do at least a little something to equalize.

The difference for me has been in the way I challenge them to continue trying if they have problems and the types of encouragement I provide. You have to be very patient with them and allow them to come to their own solution, while at the same time providing guidance on different methods and styles. The objective becomes to provide enough guidance that they learn to do it without hurting themselves or giving up completely. It sometimes takes multiple trips to get down the first time. The good news is, once they get it, they tend to get it good and don't have any problems after that. Couple of hints for those that have problems:

1. Start equalizing on the surface, before they go down. It can loosen up their Eustachian tubes.

2. Control the descent, use a line and go down very slowly and stay upright.

3. Equalize with them, in an exaggerated style. Even if you don't use the so called valsalva maneuver, puff out your cheeks, pinch your nose, bob your head, etc. Monkey see/monkey do: If they see you do it constantly, they will be more apt to do it constantly as they ascend.

4. Try to minimize a lot of up to the surface and then back down trips. If they need to ascend some because of pain, it usually doesn't need to be more than a few feet. If they become panicked, you of course go ahead and ascend.

One final note, I have noticed in the past (and it was recently backed up by a DAN article) that kids who have suffered from frequent ear infections at an early age seem to have more difficulty than those who haven't. I initially noticed this on my own kids. My oldest was in the hospital at 3 weeks for ear infections while his brother had a much easier time. The oldest loves to dive but suffers from frequent ear equalization problems, vertigo and reverse sinus blocks. The other never had much problem with it. My daughter, show I don't think ever had an ear infection, simply swallows and equalizes with ease. According to DAN, it may be that scar tissue and damage from frequent early infections may be at the root of the problem. Additionally, it is thought that the same physical features that make kids susceptible to infections can also make equalizing tough.

This is just what I've had experience with. I'd love to hear from other folks with experience working with kids and equalizing.

Best of luck.

Joe.

Originally posted by Jon

That reminds me, PADI actually started just south of me, in Chicago, back in 1966.
Jon

Yeah, there's something to be proud of! :hmm

And bugger 'em on the karma thing. You're on my short list of karma-ees, but seeing as how I must sow the oats beforest I deign thee worthy again... :head You got a PM btw.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT