• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

February - Freeze-A-Palooza Feb 17 & 18, 2007 - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending the "Freeze-A-Palooza 2007"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first ice dive...should be interesting!

I'm planning on being there a little early to do some ice fishing. If anyone wants to meet me, send me a PM.

Gene

Brian,

I believe that through a hole in the ice is a no-no, but I will need to check the regs.

Gene

We had a good time but the weather was quite a bit colder than last year. We ended up with 4 freedivers and only 3 of us dove.

If anyone else was planning on coming Sunday let me know, otherwise my wife has a list of things for me to do tomorrow so I can save my diving days for when it's warmer out. ;)

I'll post photos later.

Jon

A few photos from today;

Last edited:
A few more from today.

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: maytag
Hey Jon,
Sounds and looks like a great time! Thanks for posting the pics - they are AWESOME!!!
icon14.gif
Quick Q: who's who?

Hey Jeanette!

It was fun!

Black Elios - Jon
Camo Elios - Gene, Pinggene
Silver Elios - Peter, nostres

Jon! Your pictures are way better than mine. I will resize them soon and post couple anyway. As You already know, video camera was not recording when we thought it was so we lost good hour of footage. Too bad, we would have some nice shots there. I will make it up at Freedive palloza in the summer. I am editing the movie right now from the little footage we got, so there will be at least something.
I am surprised I didn't get cold at all! (well maybe except fingers in non open cell gloves)
Thanks a lot guys, I really had a good time, it was good to meet You.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. How did the suit perform Gene?
Did any ice-fisherman give you guys the "are you nuts????" look? :)

~Brian

Great to meet you too Peter. Jon, thank you for all of your work. Great time had by all...Here are some Photos.

#1 - Putting warm water on mask to prevent fogging
#2 - Me, Peter & Jon...Getting ready to go
#3 - Going down...(My first time ice diving...way cool) (Excuse the pun...actually didn't get too cold...was in the water about an hour...did 15 or so dives...)
#4 - Pushing the cut piece under (was cut via chain saw...about 14" of ice)
#5 - Gene & Jon do a breath-up prior do going down.

We were in about 25' of water...visability was about 30'

Again, great day!

Next one will be the Sheboygan dive March 10...hope everyone can make it...

Gene

Attachments

• Ice Dive 2007 - defogging with warm water.JPG
    Ice Dive 2007 - defogging with warm water.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Ice Dive 2007 - Gene, Jon & Peter (from Poland).JPG
    Ice Dive 2007 - Gene, Jon & Peter (from Poland).JPG
    346 KB · Views: 243
  • Ice Dive 2007 - Going Down.JPG
    Ice Dive 2007 - Going Down.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Ice dive 2007 - pushing ice under 2.JPG
    Ice dive 2007 - pushing ice under 2.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Ice Dive 2007 - Breath up.JPG
    Ice Dive 2007 - Breath up.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 239
At the surface, when it's windy and cold, it's good to get in the water to warm up

Last edited:
Under ice, when You look up it's just beautifull. The pictures are not but they can give You an idea of how beautiful it is

Last edited:
- Do not use belly breathing technique unless You are professionally trained...
- Be a hero to Your kids

Last edited:
Jon, Pingene and Nostres - thanks for posting the great photos and captions! They are amazing!! :thankyou Hats off to Freeze-a-palooza 2007!

Nostres, the pics underwater looking up are awesome! Looks like special effects of some sort!

Cute kids! Nice collection of fins, too!

Just curious - how cold was the water? And in such cold water, is it safer to keep bottom time shorter than one normally would in warm(er) water?

That definitely looked very cool!!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!
icon10.gif
Glad you all had a wonderful time!

Surface temps, right by the hole, are 32F and water on the bottom of the lake is 39.6F (4C).

Bottom times get shorter the colder you get. My dives were twice as long when first got in than after an hour in the water. It didn't help that I kept getting out to re-adjust things as the outside temps were rather cold, due to the wind, and this cooled me off faster than just diving.

On thing that we tried to do, actually Gene put all the muscle into it, was to shovel out the letters DEEPER BLUE on the surface of the ice. When you dive under the ice the light shows through and you could read the letters, but not the whole word, from below. We tried to get shots of this but the scuba divers, who were in before us, messed up the idea with their scuba exhaust bubbles. Bubbles under the ice just get stuck until the ice melts. On a warm day of diving the ice will melt through out the day and these areas of bubbles will start to migrate to the hole and it will 'burp' every so often.

We'll have to try this idea again when there are no scuba divers around.

Jon

Last edited:
After playing around a little bit with my photo-merge program I think I've gotten about the best image of our DEEPER BLUE sign from under the ice that I'm going to get. :head

Next time we head out to deeper water, without the scuba divers, and do it right. :friday

Jon

Last edited:
What a great time! The bay has frozen out a few miles in the last couple of days and I haven't been able to dive. Need some ice diving expertise. The DB sign is great.

The scubies here are afraid to let me go with them - they have another dive with the 'Deepsea Detectives' on the Keuka up in lake charlevoix in march.

Jon - send me the dates for next years Freedive-a-palooza. I'm going to try and get over there with Claire. Be fun to take the ferry across.

July 14+15.

A few of us might get up there on the 13th to get an extra day of diving in. There was some talk of people showing up on the 12th just to make a really long weekend out of it.

Too bad the local scubies can't wrap their minds around freediving.:head There's a local lake around here that would be perfect for freediving but the owner won't allow any freedivers in. Actually, he won't even allow any snorklers in!:rcard It's really his loss as i would easily move freedive-a-palooza to his lake if he would. It costs money to dive there and it's only 85' deep, but there's so much cool crap sunk in the bottom of it that it would b fun to play around in there. Lake Wazee works out pretty darn well as a second choice. It's super deep, clear, wamr on the surface, and free for all of us 'snorklers.'.

Jon

I know someone who owns a lake down state. It is stocked with Walleye :) - Northern too I think.

theres a zillion great dive spots around here. I have a nice inland lake right across the street and there are at least 3 others within a 10 minute drive - not to mention the bay. Lake Mich is about 25 miles from here. There are big ice floes though - and it tends to be on the rough side with all the wind we've had lately.

The scubies here are generally pretty cool - though they seem to have no comprehension of how warm our suits are. My buddy-in-training was chatting down at the local scuba shop and was shocked to hear the lady say she generally can handle about 45 minutes in her dry suit and 20 in a 7mil with vests and stuff! I was emailing with Richie of the Deepsea detectives and he seemed a little nervous about free-ice diving - so I haven't broached the subject. It is a good group here - also pretty active community. Baby steps :)

I'll see what I can do with those dates.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT